• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Texting and driving (Semi-Graphic)

Even when I'm going at slow speeds and just LOOK at my phone, I get scared shitless. When I see people talking on the phone/texting and not paying attention all, I make as much distance as I can from them.

I've seen to many people slam on their brakes, swerve into the other lane or just do down right ******ed things while mucking with their phone and driving. Not even close to smart, and I have no idea why it isn't illegal everywhere yet.

Upvote 0
I am not convinced that these violent PSA's against texting and driving really work - especially with the higher risk user groups like teen drivers, or drivers under 25. I am 44 years old and this PSA scares the heck out of me. I see the faces of my two young daughters instead of the actresses crashing.

But take a look at this posting on our blog that disputes the effectiveness of these ads.

Reactions: cds0699
Upvote 0
I am not convinced that these violent PSA's against texting and driving really work - especially with the higher risk user groups like teen drivers, or drivers under 25. I am 44 years old and this PSA scares the heck out of me. I see the faces of my two young daughters instead of the actresses crashing.

But take a look at this posting on our blog that disputes the effectiveness of these ads.

I have not decided on this issue yet...but I know texting while driving is a problem in its infancy or I wouldn't have built a simple Android app to help users manage their texting...

What do other people think of these ads?

Erik Wood, owner
OTTER LLC
OTTERapp.com
YouTube - OTTER on ABC

I disagree with the statement that the PSA's don't work, its my opinion that there should be more of them, not less, because they do serve as a good reminder for a lot of people. Problem is some people just don't think about the consequences of their actions and have the "that will never happen to me" attitude when it very easily could. Thats line of thinking is exactly why I don't agree with the statement of PSA's not working.

I will admit that I forget about some of the stuff at times, even as much as I try not to. Stuff like this reminds me often enough to where I don't slip much at all, and I'm very happy the PSA's do remind me.

I wish more people would think before they do things, imagine how many lives could be saved if they did. I do love the ap though, very solid idea, and good video about it. I am gonna look into it more this evening and probably get it :)

Reactions: OTTERapp
Upvote 0
I can't really say that I disagree with texting while driving bc I do it too. BUT, i noticed the girl in the video never looked up from her phone. When I text while im driving, I look up after every couple letters I push. When I used to have a RAZR, I could text without even looking at my phone. But I also dont do it alot at one time,I dont get into conversation.If i have to i just call the person BC im driving. But I can say there are some careless people out there that just plain dont pay any attention at all to the road & surrounding cars.

Upvote 0
Its very dangerous! I'm a truck driver and see it all the time! People texting and driving is even more dangerous than drinking and driving! In my industry they have cut down on it, up to a $2500 fine and I say good! I think its already illegal for 4 wheelers in most states. I think it should be everywhere!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I appreciate that "ktaylor3923" just came out and said that he texts & drives. I think there are alot of drivers who say they are NEVER tempted and they would NEVER do such a thing - but I think the truth lies somewhere in between the two extremes. No matter your viewpoint on this - here is something to think about...a football stadium...imagine that and all that happens in & around it. Keep that image in your mind when you consider texting & driving. I learned recently that the average person who chooses to text while driving at 55 mph has their eyes essentially closed for an entire football stadium length - and that's not just the field - that is over 400 yards. Bad idea... Also, the trucker who wrote in is part of a group that has been heavily targeted on this issue by Federal legislation with huge fines attached. Is this fair? I wonder about this after I just read yesterday that 50% of moms text while drive. These debates are the very reason that I built OTTER to be a tool and NOT a shackle that promotes personal responsibility in the user to safely and inexpensively manage their texting on their terms. Great discussion..thanks, Best, Erik Wood, owner OTTER LLC Otter - One Touch Text Response YouTube - Popular OTTER app featured on This Week In Android - 2010

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones