• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Texting and fave contacts

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I'm just wondering what people find to be the quickest way to send texts from the Hero. I've actually noticed that I'm avoiding sending them unless absolutely necessary, because the process just seems so much more drawn out than on any other phone.

At the moment, I'm going via 'people', clicking on the person's name then going to 'SMS' that's already 3 clicks. I guess that's not so bad, but I'm used to doing all this with one button, so it seems like a lot of faff. Is there a better way to do it?

Also, how the heck do you add contacts to your 'favourite people' list? I can't figure this out at all.

thanks again
Abi:thinking:

Hi, adding people to the favourites list is pretty simple. If you have the favourites widget on a home screen just click the + button and then select your person (or from the people section click the little person/heart icon on the bottom and then add favourite person). If texting is your thing then select the default action to be 'send message'.

Quickest way to send a text is then to go the the favourites widget and click the little text box. Although that depends which of the widgets your phone has - mine (a Euro spec Hero) has a picture of the contact which takes you to their contact details and a picture for the default action. My sisters T-Mobile G2 on the other hand only has the picture icon and I'm not sure if that takes you to the detials or carries out the default action.

If you don't like that, then click the messages icon (assuming you have it on a home screen) and then either select the name you want to text in the list (assuming you've texted them recently) or click 'compose message' to start typing the contact name and then select and text.

Either way is pretty quick and easy for me...

Upvote 0
Hi there

I still can't add favourites. When I follow the steps you've outlined above, I get 'add favourite people' which leads to 'select contact' but when I run the search, it behaves as though my contacts list is empty. It isn't. Huh? :thinking:

Anyway, using the 'message' icon is a little quicker I guess - but only if you have an earlier message saved. Will probably do that for now, but I'm really confused about this 'faves' issue!

Upvote 0
Hmm, when you click the + and you get to the screen entitled 'Select Contact' do you see any names at all above and behind the keyboard that pops up, or is it blank? If there are names there just scroll to who you want to add and click them.

If it's blank then I have no idea why, sorry, but you could try the other way. Go to the contact you want to add in People (assuming you do actually see people in people?!) and click menu then add.

Upvote 0
Hrochnick> the contact list is empty. This is the root of the problem I'm having, I think. I don't get it because my actual address list is pretty full.

Hope someone can help me fix this as it's putting me right off my shiny new phone! Well, that and the issue I'm about to post about next... :(

Hi, click on the contact list on the People Widget, click on the 'list' button (as you say, yours is empty), now click on the 'Menu' button, then click 'View', then put a tick in wherever your contacts are stored (it is probably unticked). Your contacts should then show.

Upvote 0
Jan2lid> hi there. Thanks for the advice and I'm sorry that I appear to be very slow on the uptake here.

However, another problem seems to be that the 'people widget' is not something I've been using. I can see it in the list of widgets and have tried using it, but I'm now finding I can't because it wants to take up half a desktop screen and the phone won't let me do that. I could remove some - but is this a necessity?

Upvote 0
OK please ignore last comment - I think you just meant the small 'people' icon already installed on the desktop. I have ticked all the boxes I want here ('phone' and 'sim' but not google, I don't want my google contacts on my list) so THIS list is not empty.

This is why I'm so confused that it's not streaming into other places where I'd expect to see it (the 'pick favourites' section, etc).

Upvote 0
OK please ignore last comment - I think you just meant the small 'people' icon already installed on the desktop. I have ticked all the boxes I want here ('phone' and 'sim' but not google, I don't want my google contacts on my list) so THIS list is not empty.

This is why I'm so confused that it's not streaming into other places where I'd expect to see it (the 'pick favourites' section, etc).

Your pick favourites screen is probably empty because you haven't added anyone yet. But you can see them in 'people', right? You need to add them from there.

So, when you are in this people screen where you can see people, click the second icon from the left at the bottom - a little picture of a person with a heart - and then click add favourite person and select away. Failing that, just click the person then menu then add. I cant believe that wont work, you can see people, so you can add them. You just have to hit the right buttons. :)

Then, clear some space on your desktop and add the people widget. it's worth it.

By the way, I don't have google contacts ticked either, so that's not a problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones