1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Texting App

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by munky871, Aug 29, 2011.

1. munky871

munky871 Lurker
    None

Aug 29, 2011
    I just got my first Android device a few days ago(Samsung Infuse through AT&T) and my plan was to disable texting and then use a texting app like Handcent SMS but everytime I receive a text it comes through the actual text service and the app. Do you have to have texting to use these apps? I'm very new to these devices and I was told I could just use the app and not pay for texting but I don't see how, if I disable texting completely I don't even get texts through the app I can send them I just don't receive them, and if I enable texting on my plan it comes throuh the app and AT&T so I end up having to pay for texts anyway.

Whats the deal here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Munky871

Advertisement

2. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    Well getting the double text notifications is cause you have to disable the stock app notifications. But handcent doesn't provide you with free texting, it is just an app replacement really. Using handcent or go sms or chomp will not stop the stock app from getting the message either but disabling the stock text notifications will prevent you from seeing 2 notices in your status bar.

You would need something like textplus. But i think that uses data/wifi for texting. If you go into the market and search for free texting a few will come up.

3. Annonymous7

Annonymous7 Member
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    TextPlus, Heywire, and TextFree all give you a free number for texting, but must have at least 3g to work. Textfree has a web version that you can use to login from your computer on and send and receive texts. Similar to Google Voice. No one would ever know the difference :p

4. munky871

munky871 Lurker
    None

Aug 29, 2011
    So when you say textplus or the others give you a free number to text with does that mean I would have to give people a number to send me texts and a number to call? I'm very new to this so sorry if my questions are kinda lame or obvious I just want to make sure Im understanding you right

5. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX

Yes the textplus number would be your texting number only and then they would have your mobile number for calling. Otherwise if they text the number they would call you would get charged for texting by your carrier.

6. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    Male
    Worshipping Cthulhu
    Sietch Tabr
    Try google voice, you can use it for both your voice and text number.

7. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 7, 2011
    If you are mainly texting people with Android and/or iPhones, I really like Kik Messenger.