• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Texting App

munky871

Lurker
Aug 29, 2011
I just got my first Android device a few days ago(Samsung Infuse through AT&T) and my plan was to disable texting and then use a texting app like Handcent SMS but everytime I receive a text it comes through the actual text service and the app. Do you have to have texting to use these apps? I'm very new to these devices and I was told I could just use the app and not pay for texting but I don't see how, if I disable texting completely I don't even get texts through the app I can send them I just don't receive them, and if I enable texting on my plan it comes throuh the app and AT&T so I end up having to pay for texts anyway.

Whats the deal here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Munky871

Well getting the double text notifications is cause you have to disable the stock app notifications. But handcent doesn't provide you with free texting, it is just an app replacement really. Using handcent or go sms or chomp will not stop the stock app from getting the message either but disabling the stock text notifications will prevent you from seeing 2 notices in your status bar.

You would need something like textplus. But i think that uses data/wifi for texting. If you go into the market and search for free texting a few will come up.

Upvote 0
So when you say textplus or the others give you a free number to text with does that mean I would have to give people a number to send me texts and a number to call? I'm very new to this so sorry if my questions are kinda lame or obvious I just want to make sure Im understanding you right

Upvote 0
So when you say textplus or the others give you a free number to text with does that mean I would have to give people a number to send me texts and a number to call? I'm very new to this so sorry if my questions are kinda lame or obvious I just want to make sure Im understanding you right

Yes the textplus number would be your texting number only and then they would have your mobile number for calling. Otherwise if they text the number they would call you would get charged for texting by your carrier.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones