• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Texting/MMS Messages: Pictures displaying as movies

questrider

Lurker
Nov 13, 2009
Before 02/13, when I would receive a picture (MMS) through the default text Messaging application, it would show up as a picture with the subject and message underneath. Optionally, I could tap and open the picture to fill the screen or zoom in. Like this:

droid-pic.jpg

Sender: <Subject: Pictures of Mountains!> - Look at how beautiful and expansive the Alps are!

Now, after 02/14, when an MMS message is received, the picture displays with a "Play" (>) icon on it like it is a movie file. Like this:

droid-movie.jpg

Sender: <Subject: Pictures of Mountains!>

And then when I tap the picture (which is NOT a movie) it displays the picture very small (about 1/4 of the screen, centered) on a black background with a "movie" progress bar at the bottom marked as :16 sec total and when it gets to :08 secs the picture disappears and then the text's message is displayed in white text on the black background for the remaining :08 secs. Like this:

droid-msg.gif

So it plays like a movie that contains both the picture and the text, however, if I save it by long pressing next to the picture and choose "Copy attached to SD card" it saves the picture as a standard graphic file which can then be opened in the Gallery app. So it's obviously NOT a movie file.

What is going on? What the heck changed in the last week? Is anyone else experiencing this?

Curious which folder it saves it to. Camera as a new image? or Download?

I have a question too....How could a photo not taken by my HTC Hero show up in camera folder as if it had been taken by my phone. Not labeled as a download and in the camera file it is in the consecative date and image order just as if I had taken it from the the phone...which I did not.

Upvote 0
Update: I received 12 MMS messages last night from the same person within an hour. 11 of the 12 display the "normal" way with only one being contained in the "movie" format I described above in my original post. Strange.

I'm also now wondering if the fact that the sender uses an Alltel phone they purchased a few months before their acquisition by Verizon is the cause of this? But stranger still is that it isn't consistent and I've only gotten the "movie" format the last couple of weeks and then last night it goes back to being normal for 11 of 12 messages.

I only ask because I don't think I've ever received an MMS message from a fellow Droid/Verizon user to see if it's consistently normal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones