1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Texting problems after most recent update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by John Cotton, Sep 8, 2021.

1. John Cotton

John Cotton Lurker

While texting, I used to have a microphone icon that would dictate voice to text. Now, the only microphone icon that appears records an actual voice message. (1) How do I get the voice to text option back? (2) At the same time, the predictive word line above the QWERTY keys would provide suggested words as I started to type them. That feature also went away and I would like it back. Does anyone know how to fix these issues?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

Keyboard update? Which are you using? Both issues should be fixable in settings for whichever kb you're using.

ocnbrze, codesplice and Dannydet like this.
  3. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

Oh and, welcome aboard!

ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  4. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Like @Clementine_3 suggests, both the microphone button for voice-to-text and the predictive suggestions are powered by the software keyboard you're using. Have you recently installed or switched to a different keyboard app?

If you're using Gboard, long-press the comma key to access the settings. From there, go to Voice Typing and ensure that the Use voice typing option is enabled. Also go to Text Correction and make sure the Show suggestion strip option is enabled.

ocnbrze and Clementine_3 like this.
  5. lion7718

lion7718 Android Enthusiast

You didn't say what Text App you use or Keyboard.
    I use Signal & the microphone in the chat window is for audio & the mic in the keyboard is for text.
    hope that helps.

ocnbrze likes this.

Google Pixel 3A Forum

The Google Pixel 3A release date was May 2019. Features and Specs include a 6.0" inch or 5.6" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Snapdragon 670 processor, and 3700mAh or 3000mAh battery.

May 2019
Release Date
Reviews