1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Texts being sent to the wrong person??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by calikisses, Dec 18, 2011.

1. calikisses

calikisses Newbie
    None

Dec 16, 2011
    So I am using GO SMS and sent a text to my friend David. When I went back to the conversation list, it said the text was sent to my friend Jen. So I replied back and said 'sorry sorry didn't mean to send that to you'. I tried to send another text to David by selecting him directly from the contacts list, and it had his name and everything in the message. When I went back to the convo list, it was sent to my friend Lizette. I called my friend Jen and she said she didn't receive any texts, so the text that I originally sent to David that said it was sent to Jen...David actually received. I tried texting a few other people and it would just switch around people's names. It was insanely confusing. I checked the stock SMS app and it was having the same errors. I restarted the phone and it seems to be OK but this is totally unacceptable. What if something had been sent to my boss?

Advertisement

2. mistermojorizi

mistermojorizi Android Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2011
    when they first transferred my contacts, i tried sending a text and this was happening. the thing was actually sending it to the right person, but the wrong name would show up after being sent. the fix was to do a factory reset and start over, have them transfer my contacts again. HTH

speede541 likes this.
  3. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Male
    Computer Programmer
    I had the same issue with GO SMS, which is a shame because I love the app. I ended up uninstalling for the time being, and using stock, and it has been ok so far. I've rebooted a few times since then, so I may try again in a couple days and see.

4. foo

foo Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 20, 2008
    IT
    Chicago, IL

Ya..that's what I did. I read over at xda about a few others having this issue as well so i uninstalled just in case. I doubt it's go sms fault but rm'd it for now. (edit: it appears to be their fault)

It may be a bug with syncing contacts with both vzw backup assistant and google doing it too? I remember the rep trying to tell me to let both sync contacts and was immediately like oh hell no..vzw isn't touching my contact syncing.

5. baki99

baki99 Lurker
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    North Carolina
    Seeing the same thing with Handcent.

6. ISASoilder

ISASoilder Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 26, 2011
    College, Work
    Washington D.C
    So is it A third party SMS issue or Stock/Software/both?

7. baki99

baki99 Lurker
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    North Carolina
    I have not seen it with the stock messenger, but I have not done enough texting yet to say confidently it is only 3rd party messenging apps - but this is what I suspect.

8. Shockwave78

Shockwave78 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 16, 2011
    HVAC
    NH
    Lol maybe I should delete my work contacts then...

9. Darthbull

Darthbull Lurker
    None

Jan 25, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I had the same issue with GoSMS and Chomp. Stock was fine with me.

10. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    Me too, but after a reboot it works. I sent the devs an email, they haven't replied. I hope they're working on it.

11. baki99

baki99 Lurker
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    North Carolina
    Be careful though - I had noticed it was corrected after a reboot but then it recurred.

12. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Male
    Computer Programmer
    I've been texting non-stop the last two days on the stock app without a 3rd party app installed anymore, and haven't had any issues at all. I'm guessing it's just something with ICS that they haven't quite figured out yet or something. Hopefully soon though. I miss my GO.

13. pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    Trust me. I KNOW!
    It got to the point that I wouldn't send certain "messages".

14. GoNe2heLL

GoNe2heLL Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 30, 2009
    Add me to the list .....I am using the go sms problem started yesterday but after two reboots it went away (as far as i know). Talked to the friend that works for vzw he said its not a known issue at the time. Looks like i am going to have to use google talk for those "other" messages

(edit) happened again today ...uninstalled go sms back to the stock app so far so good

15. actofgod

actofgod Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    NY
    Ah I didn't know there were threads on this already, definitely a horrible relationship-ruining issue...I see no problems with the stock app, I just want my Go back! I emailed them about it just now too, in case they didn't know.

16. calikisses

calikisses Newbie
    None

Dec 16, 2011
    Ughhh...I am so careful with EVERYTHING I send now to avoid having it send to my boss, who is also in my phone. This isn't a problem that a phone should have...when I was having the problems with GO SMS, I also went to the stock SMS app and it was doing the same thing. I restarted the phone and all the names appeared correctly but apparently it is still happening with other people. I've had an instance where I open up the contact page for my mom for example, click the little 'text' icon, and it pops up with a new text message addressed to one of my other friends. Seems they have some issues they need to fix with text messages.

17. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Male
    Computer Programmer
    Did you uninstall GO SMS before going back to trying the stock one? Since uninstalling, I've had no issues with stock, so maybe after it screwed up once, just having the app still installed was monkeying with it even through you were using the stock app again instead. I'd say if you haven't already, just uninstall, reboot, see if it clears up.

18. pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    Pretty much the same with me. It would have the correct name and number when I hit send, but after it was sent a different name showed as the recipient.

I ended up sending messages meant for my girlfriend to a coworker. Luckily they were decent messages.

19. calikisses

calikisses Newbie
    None

Dec 16, 2011
    It happened again last night. I woke up to text messages that appeared to be sent from Verizon, but I could tell by the content they were sent from one of my friends. I uninstalled GO SMS and am now just using stock. I hope they fix this soon...this is pretty annoying.

20. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Male
    Computer Programmer
    oh I agree. I keep checking every day to see if they've ICS'd Go SMS (and the other Go Apps.. Go Contacts errors when I try using that..).

21. JSD_NJ

JSD_NJ Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 26, 2010
    I got a text today that said it was from one person, but the content led me to believe it was someone else. I rebooted the phone and then it showed the correct person. :thinking:

Edit: I'm using GO SMS

22. JoJoCal19

JoJoCal19 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 24, 2009
    Sr. Infosec Analyst
    St. Augustine, FL
    This is odd. Ive had no issues like this with GoSMS since Ive been using it the past several days. Ive also rebooted since installing it too.

23. Net

Net Newbie
    None

Dec 20, 2011
    Thanks, happened to me with Go SMS today and it was hilarious. Sent a note to my son, my daughter (it seemed) answered, and by the end of the conversation, a very long random number appeared to get one of my texts (a number I've never seen before). I had a great time, but wondered what the issue was--I'll uninstall Go SMS now, also. Too bad.

24. snuggles

snuggles Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 26, 2010
    Chicago/NW Indiana
    I had problems today with handcent when it sent me a text.

25. jgordon00

jgordon00 Newbie
    None

Apr 6, 2010
    Ok I've had similar issues and I use Handcent on my GNex. This seems to happen to me most when I have, say 4 threads open from person A, B, C, and D. If I delete one thread, person B somehow gets the name of person A though their number and picture stay the same as they were.

What I think is happening is that Handcent (and perhaps other third party SMS programs), in working with the standard Messaging App database, is somehow screwing things up when writing to the database file. I say this because if I clear the data on the Messaging App (which wipes out the database) and then go BACK to Handcent after I do this, the name is restored correctly to person B.

This may be why the stock messaging app never seems to have an issue but third party SMS apps (which generally require the default messaging app to be at least running for full functionality) are the places where people are seeing problems. Just a guess anyhow...

So at this point (in my mind), there needs to be bug fixes with the third party apps. I will personally be sending a note to Handcent about this because I can generally reproduce this issue.

Tags: