• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Texts fail on first try

Earthrise

Lurker
Sep 4, 2020
Hi,

I have had a persistent problem for a couple of months now and I have been unable to find a solution on the Internet. When I send a message to IPhone users , the message will time out. Then when I click the Resend menu option, the text sends instantly.

This problem occurs randomly as I will sometimes send messages to the same recipients successfully on the first try. I went through every setting listed on several web pages, including wi-fi settings, message settings, battery settings and internet settings. I even factory reset the phone and the problem persisted.

I upgraded from a Galaxy Note 10+ to a Note 20 Ultra, which required a new SIM card. The new phone does it too.

Can someone help me?

I believe everyone is familiar with the disconnect between iPhone and Android when it comes to messages. Asking your iPhone friends not to use iMessages would be akin to asking them to cut off a limb but before we go any farther I have just a couple of questions;

This only happens with messages to iPhone users, never messages to Android users?

When you factory reset your device did you import all of your previous messages, or did you start fresh from zero?

What messaging app are you using?

Do you archive/delete messages regularly? Approximately how many messages are on your device?

I've seen issues with sending messages become a problem when there are tens of thousands of messages on a device. Typically this affects all messages but if you're mostly messaging iPhone users it may seem to only or to disproportionately affect those messages. In your opening comment you went through a lot of settings chasing this problem but didn't mention wiping the cache or data for the app or wiping the cache partition of the device, however moving to a new device and subsequent factory resets should have done these things for you. Was there a time, like right after switching devices or factory resetting the device that everything seemed to work for an extended period of time, like weeks or months before you started noticing it happening again?

Not knowing what app you're using I would recommend starting with the basics of just reducing your message load. Look for conversations you can delete, MMS messages you can extract the photo or video from and remove from the conversation and other items like that. I would see if removing clutter helps at all.

Reactions: MrJavi and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Hi,

I have had a persistent problem for a couple of months now and I have been unable to find a solution on the Internet. When I send a message to IPhone users , the message will time out. Then when I click the Resend menu option, the text sends instantly.

This problem occurs randomly as I will sometimes send messages to the same recipients successfully on the first try. I went through every setting listed on several web pages, including wi-fi settings, message settings, battery settings and internet settings. I even factory reset the phone and the problem persisted.

I upgraded from a Galaxy Note 10+ to a Note 20 Ultra, which required a new SIM card. The new phone does it too.

Can someone help me?

I think the first thing to try is a different message app. There's a freebie from Microsoft garage projects called SMS Organizer, put that on and send some texts, that will let you know if there's a problem with that.

Reactions: MrJavi and Dannydet
Upvote 0
I believe everyone is familiar with the disconnect between iPhone and Android when it comes to messages. Asking your iPhone friends not to use iMessages would be akin to asking them to cut off a limb but before we go any farther I have just a couple of questions;

This only happens with messages to iPhone users, never messages to Android users?

When you factory reset your device did you import all of your previous messages, or did you start fresh from zero?

What messaging app are you using?

Do you archive/delete messages regularly? Approximately how many messages are on your device?

I've seen issues with sending messages become a problem when there are tens of thousands of messages on a device. Typically this affects all messages but if you're mostly messaging iPhone users it may seem to only or to disproportionately affect those messages. In your opening comment you went through a lot of settings chasing this problem but didn't mention wiping the cache or data for the app or wiping the cache partition of the device, however moving to a new device and subsequent factory resets should have done these things for you. Was there a time, like right after switching devices or factory resetting the device that everything seemed to work for an extended period of time, like weeks or months before you started noticing it happening again?

Not knowing what app you're using I would recommend starting with the basics of just reducing your message load. Look for conversations you can delete, MMS messages you can extract the photo or video from and remove from the conversation and other items like that. I would see if removing clutter helps at all.

Hi,

This only happens when i text iPhone users.
When i factory reset the phone, I did NOT import any texts.
I am using the default text app that comes with the phone.
Less than 10 messages are on my phone ever because I cull them regularly.

Upvote 0
Going back to one of the original replies, does this happen when you text those users independently or only when they are part of a group? If it's a group, are you sending bulk SMS (one SMS to each individual, replies go only to you) or group MMS (all replies go to all members)? If you don't know, look in your message app's settings.

SMS is a universal standard, and the fact that the iPhone user is using iMessage should not affect that. MMS is more of a mess (plus where I am MMS can be damned expensive, while SMS has been effectively free for years).

In all seriousness I do all of my group messaging with third party internet messaging apps these days (WhatsApp, Signal, etc). It requires that everyone has the same app, but it's cross-platform, unlike iMessage or RCS, so you don't suffer any of this nonsense you get where different people's phones don't support the same features. I don't think I've used MMS at all for several years (I do still send/receive a few SMS, but never use it for group chats).

Upvote 0
Going back to one of the original replies, does this happen when you text those users independently or only when they are part of a group? If it's a group, are you sending bulk SMS (one SMS to each individual, replies go only to you) or group MMS (all replies go to all members)? If you don't know, look in your message app's settings.

SMS is a universal standard, and the fact that the iPhone user is using iMessage should not affect that. MMS is more of a mess (plus where I am MMS can be damned expensive, while SMS has been effectively free for years).

In all seriousness I do all of my group messaging with third party internet messaging apps these days (WhatsApp, Signal, etc). It requires that everyone has the same app, but it's cross-platform, unlike iMessage or RCS, so you don't suffer any of this nonsense you get where different people's phones don't support the same features. I don't think I've used MMS at all for several years (I do still send/receive a few SMS, but never use it for group chats).

Hi,
To answer your question, I get this problem when I send one text to one person. I am going to try a different app and see if that helps. Kind of frustrating that I have to do that though.

Upvote 0
And these are just regular SMS, not picture/voice messages? That is odd, since I've never had trouble sending such things to iPhones.

If a different app works then I'd check the Samsung app's settings. SMS are SMS no matter what app sends them, so if a different app fixes it then the built-in one is trying to do something clever. Is it possible it's trying to use RCS by default, and only reverting to SMS when that doesn't work? RCS is the new "advanced" messaging Google have been trying to push: most SMS apps don't support it (though Google's Messages app does: they call it "chat features") but I have a feeling that Samsung's might. RCS does not work with iPhones(*), so if you used RCS and if the app doesn't handle the fall-back well this could explain the problem. I'm just speculating here, since I don't use RCS myself and don't have a Samsung, but it's the one reason I can think of why a different "SMS" app might produce a different result. If you use Google's Messages for this test make sure that "chat features" are turned off (as that is RCS - you could turn them on again afterwards to see whether it makes a difference).

(*) If Apple supported RCS did that it would be like making iMessage cross-platform, which they don't want because iMessage being Apple-only is one of the things that keeps iOS users from switching. Conversely Apple not supporting RCS reduces the incentive for a carrier to support it, which Apple see as increasing their advantage.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
This is a slight fix, though I think the default text app should work.

Wasn't meant as a fix, just to see whether or not the stock app has a problem (config, whatever) or whether you need to look elsewhere, i.e., a system setting somewhere. Also, have you played around with Tasker or some other system behavior app in the past that may have caused this problem? Those types of apps can, on occasion, not clean up properly after themselves. Also, check battery optimization, put it to "no optimization" for your stock messaging app.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones