• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Texts received from #@tmomail.net come in from random addresses

DizzyPickle

Lurker
Jan 14, 2011
I frequently use email to <phonenumber>@tmomail.net to send text messages to my girlfriend's phone. She recently upgraded her device from an older Android to the MyTouch 4G. After she changed devices, those same text messages still come through, but every text appears to be from a different random 4-digit number. This causes a new text thread to be started in her viewer, which makes for horrendously messy management of our conversations and litters her text application with dozens of threads all from me.

I just spoke to a TMobile customer service rep on the phone, and we were able to reproduce the problem with a test myTouch 4G handset in his hands. While he hadn't seen the issue before, another technician reporting seeing it on various other devices. We speculated that the @tmomail.net mechanism goes through some intermediate routing services, which stamp the email header with some internal machine address that is picked up by the newer version of Android used on the myTouch 4G.

Unfortunately he had no fix to offer. The only workaround suggested was to add every new random number she receives as a gmail contact all mapping to my name. Hopefully there would be a limited number of them. Ugh.
(Alternative, we could just stop texting entirely and switch to email. That idea is a nonstarter...)

Is anyone else bothered with this symptom?
Any workarounds to suggest?

-DizzyPickle

Go onto the T-Mobile (My-Tmobile) under MobileLife--> E-Mail and text tools --> Email address
be sure to put an entry into that box, so the alias to you TMO email box is defined.
For example:
Your phone number 936-456-1234
Your user/alias for tmo mail is emply so you enter in JaneDoe (what ever characters you wish to use)

so that now 9364561234@tmomail.net is now associated to JaneDoe@tmomail.net

I bet that would fix the problem!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones