1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Texts scroll to top of thread while typing?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mousouchop, Oct 8, 2010.

1. mousouchop

mousouchop Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Buffalo
    I am having an issue while typing texts in the stock messaging app...

While I am in the middle of typing texts, sometimes my phone will jump to the first message in the thread I am currently viewing (i.e. I am typing a response text to John Doe). I then have to scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll back to the bottom of the thread where my response box is. Then I tap the box and continue typing...

Is this happening to ANYONE else? Am I hitting something that is making the view jump to the top like that? I don't understand.

Thinking I could probably download a third party app for texting and avoid the problem, but I like the default app. I shouldn't HAVE to use another app. The stock one SHOULD just work...

Advertisement

2. mousouchop

Sep 25, 2010
    Buffalo
    No ideas anyone? It happens from time to time still. Not every day... but just when I forget about it-- it happens.

Because of this I have my messages auto-deleting at a threshold of 75, so I won't have to scroll so much everytime it happens... I wish I didn't have to do this.

3. Skinnejj

Skinnejj New Member

Oct 19, 2010
    mousouchop wrote:
    "No ideas anyone? It happens from time to time still. Not every day... but just when I forget about it-- it happens."
    ===================
    Wish I had an answer for you. I went to Google to solve this very same problem because my wife and I, both using HTC Incredibles, are repeatedly having the exact problem you describe. Sometimes, while typing a text using the default texting app, the screen will suddenly jump to the top of the thread. Then we have to scroll all the way down to the typing box. I did notice today that it seems to be when I tap the top right of the keyboard - "o" or "p" - that it jumps. Maybe there's a glitch when you hit just the right spot? It's not a dirty screen - already thought of that... it *is* awfully annoying, though. Don't think I remember it happening before the Froyo update... Would love for somebody to suggest an answer or solution...

4. mousouchop

Sep 25, 2010
    Buffalo
    I have been trying to find a rhyme or reason for it and still have no clue. I can't imagine we are the only ones experiencing this. Unless we're the only fools still using the stock app. haha.

It does seen to be a glitch related to the right side of the kb.

5. dbrits

dbrits Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Southern California
    It's happened to me on a handful of occasions, but nothing more than that. As to why? No clue. Best of luck to you on finding an answer. I wish I could offer more help.

6. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Arizona
    happens to me too

7. avrjjoe

avrjjoe New Member

Jan 6, 2011
    THis just started happening to me this morning, and it has done it non stop all day for each and every text I try to type. I have only had the Droid Incredible for a few days, only downloaded a few apps, but all from the market - no 3rd party apps. I noticed the phone was getting warm at times, and if I set it to contact list or a list of anything (like emails) I noticed it will select one randomly if it sits a few seconds. I am curious if the phone putting off some heat is simulating the heat of our fingers and making the phone interpret it as a touch or swipe.

8. brockzw

brockzw New Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Here's what to do when you get sent to the top of the thread:

Press the menu key
    Press search
    Press the back key

This should take you back to the bottom of the thread. No more scrolling:D

9. simdroid

simdroid New Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Yes this is driving me crazy too, I have sentimental attachment to my texts and don't want to be forced to delete them but the scrolling is out of control!

Brockzw - your workaround gave me a brief glimmer of hope until I realised I don't get the 'search' option in the text menu on my HTC Desire!

But then I discovered there's another thread in these forums discussing the same issue and there are 2 suggested workarounds that I think might work a treat for anyone on HTC Desire.

Click the following link and look at the 2 solutions dated Dec 2010 & Feb 2011 from greentorch and ljhenshall respectively:
    http://androidforums.com/desire-sup...-sms-conversation-jumps-top-when-writing.html