1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Texts sent to wrong number

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Zclumpy, May 1, 2016.

1. Zclumpy

Zclumpy Lurker
    None

May 1, 2016
    Male
    I have been able to text anyone just fine up until now. But with a new number I've been trying to text it instantly takes me to an existing contact (my boss). The numbers are different and she can read my messages but I can't receive messages from this number and the messages I send go to my boss' message thread. I'm trying to fix this without sending a message to my boss please help.

Advertisement

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    make sure that you have the Area Code in the Contact List.

lots of folks omit the Area Code and assume that just the 7 digit number will be "good enough".

not so with cellphones, they switch towers and areas like the plague... the Area Code is a requirement for making phone calls and SMS go where they should.

Also, very carefully, check your Contact List for hidden dupes... same name, but a different number?
    Make a new contact with the same exact name spelling, and it should come up showing you that is a dupe for the one you already have.... if it comes up with the same name, but a different number..... trouble can happen.

Also, make a new contact and enter the correct number first, and leave the name blank, that should pop up the correct name you want... if it don't you have a dupe number, with a different name on it.

3. Zclumpy

Zclumpy Lurker
    None

May 1, 2016
    Male
    Thanks for the help. I ended up fixing it when it started using other message threads from different numbers. It showed the contact I made for the number and I deleted all other messages from the old number (weird but it worked)