• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

TF47HV2VFK - Is it a virus?

I keep on getting this folder created in Android-Data folder even though I delete it again and again. It has APK files of various apps. These apps popup at any unwanted time (while running another app- say a game where no links are there to go to that page) asking me to install them. I have to cancel it on every occasion.

Sometimes on unlocking my phone, the play store page popus saying page not found.

Is it a virus? How do I get rid of it?

Attachments

• IMG_20180108_090902.jpg
    IMG_20180108_090902.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 115
It's not a virus, because a "virus" is a specific type of malware capable of propagating itself, which doesn't exist for the Android platform. Malware on Android is usually of the "trojan" type, i.e. hidden inside or disguised as a legitimate app in order to trick the user into installing it.

That wasn't just a pedantic point: if you have a malware infection it means it's one of the apps you installed that is the source (or, if you are really unlucky and have a cheap Chinese device, it may be pre-installed by the manufacturer). So the solution is to identify which app and get rid of it. Did this start at a particular time? If so, any apps you installed or updated in the week or so before that are suspect. Apps downloaded from unofficial sites are much more likely to be the source, so look at those too.

If you are really unlucky and have an old enough device malware may be able to install itself to /system, making it impossible to remove without reflashing the device. But hopefully that's not the case here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones