1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

General Thank you!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by illini4x4, Feb 16, 2011.

1. illini4x4

illini4x4 Lurker

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who contributed to the guides on how to root and install the Icarus MOD!! I am a first time android user and have never done anything like this with a phone but I do consider myself pretty technologically savvy. With the help of the guides, the process was a breeze! Thank you!!

I am currently running a Cricket Huawei Ascend, rooted with z4root, Icarus MOD installed, Launcher Pro full version, Better Keyboard, overclocked with SetCPU, Juice Defender, and Cache Cleaner NG.

I also have Lookout anti-virus on there. Is it necessary to run an anti-virus app? It seems like it makes the phone lag pretty badly when i have it running. Or is there a different anti-virus app out there that is less laggy?

Thanks again!

Advertisement

2. BlastGT1

BlastGT1 Android Enthusiast

Glad to hear the info helped you! That's what the forums are here for. :)

There are lots of debates for and against using an antivirus client on any device, but it's getting to the point where even your phone can be infected and used for nefarious purposes. Ideally, yes, you should use some type of AV program, but I'm afraid you probably won't find anything that doesn't have at least SOME impact on performance, especially since the Ascend is not the most powerful phone around.

If antivirus programs have the ability to scan only when you request them to, then that would make a difference on your resource usage since it would be on-demand only, but that also negates some of your protection, and the best defense is a good offense. So it's really up to you as to which way to go. I would suggest making a backup of your current installation once it's setup the way you like it, and if at some point you run into a problem, you can always wipe and go back to that image. You can even do regular backups if you choose to, which would be akin to a Windows PC doing a system restore, having a range of choices to restore to if you run into problems.

illini4x4 likes this.
  3. joser116

joser116 Guest

Your welcome. Glad to hear that. As for your problems with the lag while having Lookout installed, you can disable everything including antivirus, and just keep Missing Device enabled. You can enable Security when you want to do a scan. This would help with the lag

4. illini4x4

illini4x4 Lurker