1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thanks for the expert help guys....now should I unroot my Hero before trying to sell it on CL?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Hit Me, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Hit Me

Hit Me Newbie
    None

Dec 17, 2010
    First, thanks to everyone here that helped me with choosing ROMS, unrooting when I had to go to a Sprint store, and everything else. Really I should thank everyone because even many of the threads and posts that I never posted in or sought help from helped me just by reading what others were discussing, so thank you to all here. This is truly a great forum!

Now that I have a brand new phone (Epic 4G) I want to sell my Sprint Hero on Craigslist since that might be quicker and easier than the ebay route. Plus none of the ebay and PayPal fees!

This Hero is the refurb I got not long ago from the Sprint store and is in excellent, like new condition. Currently rooted with CM 7 (stable) and gapps. It runs perfectly and is about as fast and snappy as a Hero can get. Looks perfect.

Judging by the current auctions on ebay I might be able to get anywhere from $50 to $100 for it. But should I unroot it first? I unrooted before by flashing the file LPBHeretic linked for me in an earlier thread of mine, so that is a piece of cake. I'm just unsure if it would be easier to sell with the phone rooted or stock.

What do the experts say?

Advertisement

2. Swizz

Swizz Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 10, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Leave as is. Unroot if requested (for a fee, if you want).

3. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Nov 30, 2009
    Male
    18th Hole Of the Golf Course
    Put it on Craigslist and if you get someone interested in the phone, you can ask them if they wanted it rooted or unrooted, simple as that

4. Hit Me

Hit Me Newbie
    None

Dec 17, 2010
    Well I unrooted it and decided to put it on CL that way, then offer to root it for an additional $10 or $15 if they want it. Mainly I just want to sell it and the auctions on ebay for a rooted Hero go into a lot of detail and how you shouldn't buy this phone if you don't know what rooting is, etc. I don't want to spend my time educating anyone that calls on rooting so I figured it would be easier to list it as stock rom, unrooted.

5. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Android Expert
    None

May 29, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Haha. You are charging to reroot your handset? :D

Come on, just throw that in for free. It takes only minutes to do and might lure more buyers. :p

6. devinEVO

devinEVO Well-Known Member
    None

May 19, 2011
    Self Employed
    S.E. OK
  7. Ivansandroid

Ivansandroid Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 6, 2010
    BUSINESS MAN
    BUCKEYE NATION
    If you do sell it rooted make sure its NOT an aosp rom or whoever buys it will most likely not be able to get it activated unless they know how to flash also

8. Hit Me

Hit Me Newbie
    None

Dec 17, 2010
    CM 7 isn't aosp right, so they should have no problems getting it activated. Please correct me if I am wrong on that!

9. rb312102

rb312102 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 21, 2009
    CM7 is an aosp rom. You need a sense rom and sometimes people have problems activating on some sense roms.

10. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Android Expert
    None

May 29, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Your best bet is to just put it back on the stock ROM. Like rb312102 said, even custom HTC Sense UI based ROMs can sometimes be difficult to activate with.

I am pretty sure it will not activate at all with AOSP based ROMs. So, I would definitely avoid leaving it flashed to that when selling it unless the buyer is thoroughly experienced in the art of rooting and flashing.

Tags: