1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Thanks for the expert help guys....now should I unroot my Hero before trying to sell it on CL?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Hit Me, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Hit Me

Hit Me Newbie

First, thanks to everyone here that helped me with choosing ROMS, unrooting when I had to go to a Sprint store, and everything else. Really I should thank everyone because even many of the threads and posts that I never posted in or sought help from helped me just by reading what others were discussing, so thank you to all here. This is truly a great forum!

Now that I have a brand new phone (Epic 4G) I want to sell my Sprint Hero on Craigslist since that might be quicker and easier than the ebay route. Plus none of the ebay and PayPal fees!

This Hero is the refurb I got not long ago from the Sprint store and is in excellent, like new condition. Currently rooted with CM 7 (stable) and gapps. It runs perfectly and is about as fast and snappy as a Hero can get. Looks perfect.

Judging by the current auctions on ebay I might be able to get anywhere from $50 to $100 for it. But should I unroot it first? I unrooted before by flashing the file LPBHeretic linked for me in an earlier thread of mine, so that is a piece of cake. I'm just unsure if it would be easier to sell with the phone rooted or stock.

What do the experts say?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Swizz

Swizz Android Enthusiast

Leave as is. Unroot if requested (for a fee, if you want).

3. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Put it on Craigslist and if you get someone interested in the phone, you can ask them if they wanted it rooted or unrooted, simple as that

4. Hit Me

Hit Me Newbie

Well I unrooted it and decided to put it on CL that way, then offer to root it for an additional $10 or $15 if they want it. Mainly I just want to sell it and the auctions on ebay for a rooted Hero go into a lot of detail and how you shouldn't buy this phone if you don't know what rooting is, etc. I don't want to spend my time educating anyone that calls on rooting so I figured it would be easier to list it as stock rom, unrooted.

5. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Android Expert

Haha. You are charging to reroot your handset? :D

Come on, just throw that in for free. It takes only minutes to do and might lure more buyers. :p

6. devinEVO

devinEVO Well-Known Member

7. Ivansandroid

Ivansandroid Well-Known Member

If you do sell it rooted make sure its NOT an aosp rom or whoever buys it will most likely not be able to get it activated unless they know how to flash also

8. Hit Me

Hit Me Newbie

CM 7 isn't aosp right, so they should have no problems getting it activated. Please correct me if I am wrong on that!

9. rb312102

rb312102 Android Enthusiast

CM7 is an aosp rom. You need a sense rom and sometimes people have problems activating on some sense roms.

10. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Android Expert

Your best bet is to just put it back on the stock ROM. Like rb312102 said, even custom HTC Sense UI based ROMs can sometimes be difficult to activate with.

I am pretty sure it will not activate at all with AOSP based ROMs. So, I would definitely avoid leaving it flashed to that when selling it unless the buyer is thoroughly experienced in the art of rooting and flashing.

HTC Hero Forum

The HTC Hero release date was July 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7200A processor, and 1350mAh battery.

July 2009
Release Date
Reviews