1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Thanks To The Experts - A Few More ?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dentul, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Dentul

Dentul Newbie
    None

Mar 19, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Thanks Scotty85, WormDoes, and others for all your great expertise. I have had success in the Root process and flashing new ROM

Advertisement

UBRocked, scotty85 and WormDoes like this.
  2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    1. You would need to flash a stock rooted rom. I would always suggest to get the newest stock rooted rom otherwise you could be prompted to update and that causes issues.
    2. Do you remember the order you flashed? You could restore backups and rename each time (hassle), or if you did not delete the rom zip files you can look at the time they were downloaded and compare that to the times the backups were created. Not sure of a way you could look into the backup to find out this is BAMF, this is CM7, ect...
    3. A backup backs up your entire phone, it would include anything on the phone right now (apps, rom, data...), it takes an img of the phone and saves it to memory you can restore it to later if needed.

Gratz on getting rooted!

UBRocked, scotty85 and Dentul like this.
  3. brizey

brizey Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 25, 2011
    The backups are pretty big, so at some point if you are a ROM junkie you have to settle on a few standbys and maybe the most recent two or three. You can always move them off the card and into PC storage if you want the security blanket.

4. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Or dropbox them

5. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Sales
    Massachusetts
    AFAIK, you can not rename a backup in CWM. You can rename backups if you use ROM Manager, but RM sucks (no offense to Koush) I keep a word file in my Thunderbolt folder on my PC that I write down the name of the backup and then put notes next to it..for example

2011-07-19.XX.XX.XX-OMFGB, LeanKernel 3.5.2 PRE 7/19 Nightly

It may not work for some, but I always have my laptop on me so it's not an issue.

You can also use Dropbox to store them and keep them off your SD. I personally only have about 5 total backups. I rarely restore them and they're memory hogs. Speaking of backups, if Scotty strolls in here someone break his balls about be a nandroid hoarder :p

And thanks for the kind words OP. Glad we could help

scotty85 likes this.
  6. Dentul

Dentul Newbie
    None

Mar 19, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Thanks Yeahha. You say

7. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Stock rooted rom is here

Dentul and scotty85 like this.
  8. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    The bloat was not included in the rom. Netflix is a system app you could remove it if you want to using titanium backup not sure about moving it to the sd perhaps use titanium to make it a user app not a system app then you might be able to move it yo the sd.

Yeah double post but I wanted to address all questions and BBCode isn't my friend right now ;)

Dentul and scotty85 like this.
  9. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    whaaaa :eek:

ok,i deserve that,lol... if you count the 3 i did on the replacement phone i had before i sent it back,im up to 61 total. i try and only keep 4 or 5 on my phone,i regularly move them to my pc(250gb expansion drive- i dont care how much space they take up :D)

agreed. im glad we could help and give you a good root experience :cool:

just to restate what has allready been said:
    youll have to reflash the stock rom,or restore a backup of the stock rom(assuming youve ran it and made one). all a factory data reset will do is eliminate all your personal data from whatever rom your running-stock,or custom

most current stock rom is here:[ROM] Official 1.70.605.0 MR2 OTA Deodexed Rooted Busybox Mirrors Added :D - xda-developers

you do NOT want to restore the backup you made after rooting,as it is rooted mr1,wich could be bad,as your phone will want to try and update itself to mr2.

there is not a way,unfortunately. even if you look on the PC,and extract the files from a nandroid,they are image files that look like giberish no matter what you open them with. worm and i tried to figure it out one day,without success. for what its worth,the backups are named yyyy-mm-dd.xx.xx.xx so if you remember what days you made them you could figure it out. if not,the only way is to restore them and see.

since i have a few:)o), i keep a list on my ipod(somewhat ironic,i know). every so often i email the note to myself to ive got a copy on my pc as well.

it is an exact copy of how everything is. the apps in your drawer,every setting in every menu,every little thing down to the calls in your call log and the threads in your mms. when you restore it,it will be quite literally like you never left.

Dentul and UBRocked like this.