• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

That GPS nightmare of ours...

For months I've been trying to figure out just WTAF is causing the GPS issues on some of our original G Stylos. I have two of them, both with shitty GPS function but with two different problems:
My Stylo would sort of keep a fix on my position, but most times would show me travelling 50+ feet away, parallel to the road I'm physically driving on. This would seriously screw up Google maps, especially if my shadow all of a sudden intersected with another street.
My wife's Stylo, forget it. If you sat still for 20 minutes you'd get enough of a fix to start navigation. About a mile down the road, GPS signal lost. Her phone would place you squarely on the map, but only for a short distance.
Both of our Stylos have unfortunately spent time in the filthy little hands of my younglings, dropped, thrown, contaminated (found old milk or ice cream under the cover of hers lol). With that, the cheap housing, improper fasteners, you name it, could be why mine are screwed up. Mine, however was acting up before I've ever dropped it.
Anyway.... Today I downloaded the GPS Tools app on both my Stylo and my DuraForce Pro to do a side by side sensor check. Sure as shit, my Stylo's seemingly hyperactive magnetometer is giving a steady bearing reading of about 40 degrees off from the DuraForce, and very jittery. Did a good solid 30 second figure 8 calibration, and now the bearings only differ by about 1-2 degrees. Much better. As for satellite fixes, both were receiving same number of satellites, while slightly varying in signal strength (I don't expect signal readings to match between two different models).
Road test with mine is next, then see if wife's Stylo is doing the same thing. @Bard
Forgive me if this isn't news, and I hope it helps some anyway.

Reactions: herminiachristian

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones