• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The 10 best Android smartphones

I think the list looks fine minus one thing... the assumption that 1-10 is an order... all of these phones are great... but each have there pros and cons... for example... I wouldn't put the Evo in first because I hear from my friends that they are sacred to dial 911 with it because there have been issues with it for a very few people... I don't think a phone that has a chance of not making a 911 call should be #1... an now the droid 2 down in 7th place when my phones benchmarks stomp the nexus ones... not trying to spark an argument... all of these phones do deserve a top 10 spot... just not in that order or even any order for that matter...

Upvote 0
I agree about the order...the EVO does have the best spec sheet out there, but paying $10 extra per month for something that may not even be supported in your area should knock it down a spot or 2. and the LG ally? seriously? that, IMO, is one of the WORST android phones out there. the demo one in the store was literally falling apart about 3 months after it was realeased. even tho it is discontinued, i would have to put the droid 1 above the ally. just my opinion tho.

Upvote 0
We should make 10 polls to decide the AF top 10! Perhaps each one runs for 1-2 days.

My choice for candidates (no order):
Nexus One
HTC Evo 4G
HTC Desire
HTC Incredible
Motorola Droid X
Motorola Droid 2/Milestone 2
Motorola Droid/Milestone
Motorola Milestone XT720
Samsung Epic 4G
Samsung Galaxy S (with front cameras. SGS & Bell Vibrant)
Samsung Galaxy S (without front cameras. Captivate/Vibrant/Fascinate)
Acer Stream
Acer Liquid E
Dell Streak
SonyEricsson Xperia X10
LG Optimus Q
Lenovo LePhone

To my understanding, those are all the phones equipped with Cortex A8-based processors.

Can you make polls with 17 options?

Upvote 0
i have to agree with most of the phones on the list, except for the LG. but the order i can't agree with. for a lot of those phones it comes down to whether you want a physical keyboard or not. and the Evo IMO doesn't deserve #1 or #2 for that matter. i'd put the top 5 as these (all my choices are void of physical keyboards)

1. Droid X
2. Nexus
3. Captivate and Vibrant (lets face it they're about the same phone other than looks and a very minor feature...and the Captivate looks better anyways :D )
4. Evo
5. HTC Incredible

this is based on the specs. i know the captivate has a crap ton of bloatware, but nothing that can't be taken off after rooting.

edit. but this is considering that they all have 2.1 ... which makes it hard b/c nexus has 2.2 now (right?)

Upvote 0
Yea I would remove the LG Ally and put the Droid 1 on there. The Ally looks like it has a better keyboard, but thats about it...

And I dont agree with the rankings in that list too. I dont know what order they would be in, and I think I understand why they made the EVO #1, but I would put the Epic over the EVO. 4" is IMO a perfect size right now. Both have 4G and FFC. The internals is better on the Epic. The multimedia features on the Epic is better.....

And I would assume he didnt review the Fascinate yet....

Upvote 0
Yea....the GPS issues....oh well. Maybe the next wave of Samsung phones will be better as far as GPS.

I remember posting in a thread about proof more future phones than others. I picked the EVO and the Epic as being the most future proof just for the front cameras and 4G.

They already ahead of the game.

Upvote 0
the front cameras alone can't make a phone ahead of the game. i mean it's great to have, but it's not something that makes or breaks a phone, tho the gps issue can to a certain degree but you can't discredit the phone just because of that. it has one of the best (if not the best) processor out right now, which accounts for A LOT of the phone. tho there is the block on non-market apps on the captivate. but that's the carrier's choice and not really the phones, tho there are fairly easy ways around it.

Upvote 0
If, when front cameras become more common place on future high end Android phones, the EVO and Epic wont be ahead of the game? When LTE, 4G becomes final, the EVO and Epic and their Front cameras using the faster network wont be ahead of the game? Sprint is already ahead of the game just for rolling out 4G first among the big carriers.

Look at how many Tablets will have front cameras..when Front cameras become easier, better to use the EVO and the Epic will have a head start. If Sprint plays it right, dont EOL these phones anytime soon they will be the most affordable Android 4G phones with Front cameras on the market. Thats why I think they're ahead of the game.

The GPS issue vs the processor....it depends on what u use the phone for. If u use GPS alot, the GPS issue will mean more to u compared to other ppl. Like how some ppl dont really care about phone reception, call quality..they just want a better multimedia device.....and these are phones...lol

And with the stall, lag, issue with the Samsung phones due to the rfs file system, that processor wont be seen as much for folks affected by the stall, lag issue. It aint like using Launcher Pro on the X for a better home screen scrolling experience. U have to root and apply a fix/hack for the lag, stall issue.

One of the things I came to Android for was free GPS. Imagine if GPS wasnt reliable...I would be either 2nd guessing coming to Android or the Android phone I chose.

Upvote 0
I never said the Evo and Epic weren't ahead of the game. But as of now, having that feature IMO doesn't make or break a phone. Because that feature still needs to be developed further to work more efficiently. But they do have a head start in that area.

I applied the lag fix to my Captivate and haven't had any issue major issues afterwards. But I will say tat with a processor like that I should never have had to do that in the first place. As for the GPS, I hardly ever find myself having to use the GPS, but that has to do with how I use the phone. And I'm sure there are plenty of people who need and like to use the GPS and would have a really bad image of Android if they got a SGS.

But after applying the lag fixes and some other tweaks, I like how the phone functions now. I have a few friends who have the Evo but I simply cannot find myself liking that phone. I think part of it has to do it it's bulkiness. But that is a purely personal taste.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones