• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Android Art Thread

desktop

Feb 14, 2013
Michigan
dougdraws.net
Phase said I could start a thread to show off my artistic prowess, so here it is. I'll start off with some smartphone-related designs. This first one was for a Photoshop contest. I had to design some concepts for the back of smartphones so I went with a Wacom tablet, NES controller and an outer space scene with the forum's slogan "Create Don't Steal." All effects done by me with a combination of Photoshop and Illustrator.

axn3.png

Back in the beginning of 2012 (when I was going to this online art institute) I had to come up with some characters to be used for a fictitious company called Eclipse Entertainment. I sketched up some characters based on computers....

dvju.jpg

I finally chose the laptop for the character and created him using a real laptop, mouse (for hands), two HDs (for feet) and a couple webcams (for ears.) As a final addition I used a speaker to make his mouth. I got an A :)

2hy4.jpg

Upvote 0
I like to challenge myself sometimes. I found this image on a website called Vaperev—it's a stainless steel rebuildable atomizer called "The SQuape", by StattQualm. I love the look of the thing and so I challenged myself to see if I could recreate it. My image is below....

18l2.jpg

I made all the shapes in Illustrator, then brought them into Photoshop and added the shading and effects. Often I like to do personal projects like this, because it helps me to keep my talent sharp and to learn new ways of doing things.

Upvote 0
I have attached the Illustrator wireframe and the actual artwork. Most times I just build the basic shapes in AI then import into Photoshop for the rest, but this time I added some gradients and other effects in AI before importing. Once in a great while I will try to create the entire design in AI, but it's difficult to get some of the effects in a vector program.

Attachments

• vaperevwire.jpg
    vaperevwire.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 52
  • vaperevai.jpg
    vaperevai.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 0
I was wondering how you did the knurling in illustrator. I see you didn't ;)

I'm glad you pointed this out, because I realize I posted the wrong pic above. I had the "knurled" layer turned on when I saved it, but now I've updated that pic. I know there's got to be a way to create a knurled effect in AI, but I haven't figured out yet how to do that.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I had a lot of art-related jobs when I was younger. I started out as an entry level drafter, designed yellow page ads on old Macs, created T-shirt artwork, etc. I never had these jobs for very long, because something would always happen to the employer and the business would shut down. Over the years I've just wandered from job to job and now because of my disabilities I can't work regular jobs anymore.

I started doing freelance work about twelve years ago and now I do that whenever I can while taking care of my dad. I do personal projects just to be creating something and then search Craigslist every day for some kind of design work. I've never really made a living at this, but right now it's the only type of work I can do so I just keep plugging away at it.

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0
I had a lot of art-related jobs when I was younger. I started out as an entry level drafter, designed yellow page ads on old Macs, created T-shirt artwork, etc. I never had these jobs for very long, because something would always happen to the employer and the business would shut down. Over the years I've just wandered from job to job and now because of my disabilities I can't work regular jobs anymore.

I started doing freelance work about twelve years ago and now I do that whenever I can while taking care of my dad. I do personal projects just to be creating something and then search Craigslist every day for some kind of design work. I've never really made a living at this, but right now it's the only type of work I can do so I just keep plugging away at it.

Youve got some good history in the business. I have also done some work creating scal model office bldgs and residences. It turn out that people started asking if i will do scale models of their homes as gifts like a dollhouse to spouses or children . I used balsa wood, exactoblades, superglue, etc. Built it exactly like u would a house with beams in the floors, walls ceiling, styrofoam insulation, plastic for windows built furniture etc. All stemming from designs in autocad and photoshop. Made some good money too. When i added electricity like a battery pack to connect tiny wires running through fhe house or office hidden between the beams and covered walls, it was most realistic.

Upvote 0
I had a lot of art-related jobs when I was younger.

I started in the business as a staff artist at an ad agency before the digital age. We still had to draw layouts and spec' type and put our mechanical boards together with rubber cement and rubylith. Those were the days ... :rolleyes:.

After 10 years in the agency, and rising to the position of creative director, I left to start my own design studio. I had a select group of clients and one of them kept offering me a position to start an in-house marketing department. They kept upping the offer until I couldn't refuse. 18 months later the company was sold and I was downsized (right after 9/11 ... good timing guys).

Floated for a while, wrote a couple of books and picked up some freelance work. One of the original managers who was downsized shortly after I was, began a start-up in '06 and asked a bunch of us from the old company to come on board. Today the company has 52 employees and I would say that 70% of management is from the old group.

I have carte blanche on the design work and although it's not quite as glamorous as the agency days, it's good steady work and I get to play with my puppies on the weekends. :D

Upvote 0
Every year there is a huge design contest held by Colin Smith at PhotoshopCafe. I've entered some of these contests and have won first place, second place and even People's Choice awards. This time the challenge is to design a promotional flyer for the "event of the year". It can be anything from a ball, a rave, a disco or a Cirque-de-Photoshop. The catch? It has to be black and white!

Here is my first entry in the contest

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones