• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Atrix Pre-Order Page Is Live

Do you have a corporate sponsorship/group discount on your account? (aka FAN #) This can cause all sorts of problems. I'd suggest removing the corp association, upgrading, and then put the FAN discount back into place. I have a FAN # discount on my account and cannot select the data plan either - but if I don't log in and try to purchase it with a new account - it seems to work just fine.

While you are at it you can get $75 off your order here: ATT Wireless® Coupon Code, ATT Wireless® Coupons, ATT Wireless® Promo Codes
but it will only work once the FAN # is removed.
Thanks for the response!

Yes, I do have a FAN # attached to my account. Have you gotten that promotion to work after removing your FAN #? I'd hate to be the guinea pig on this one, but it seems that the login process removes the discount eligibility...

Upvote 0
I would like to know the same ^ sicne im not with AT&T :(

I have a tricker question however, do AT&T phones come ACTIVATED, so when I enter all my info as a 'new customer' and the ship me the phone, do i start getting charged or does anything start until I call them or put in the SIM and activate

or can I take this unactivated device (for 199$) and dissappear :D (and later find a way to unlock it)

Upvote 0
Just curious, but what are the issues, exactly? I've been through the pre-order process a couple times, just never 'completed' it. Just seeing how things work out. The first time through, I ordered just the phone. It didn't force me to change my 'messaging and data unlimited' to a tiered plan. I then went back through and added the laptop dock. This is where things went a bit sideways. I was able to keep the unlimited data plan, but no rebates were applied (total was just over 800). When I went back and added the tethering option, it added the rebates and it dropped to just over 500 and the unlimited data went away. Thing is, everything I read said you had to get smartphone data PLUS tethering. When I did it the 'right way' I could only choose EITHER the 2GB smartphone datapro OR the 2GB datapro tethering option. In no way could I choose both (I swear I read somewhere you'd end up signing up for 4GB this way; can't find it now). In any case, I'm still biding my time before handing over the debit card numbers.

Upvote 0
Just curious, but what are the issues, exactly? I've been through the pre-order process a couple times, just never 'completed' it. Just seeing how things work out. The first time through, I ordered just the phone. It didn't force me to change my 'messaging and data unlimited' to a tiered plan. I then went back through and added the laptop dock. This is where things went a bit sideways. I was able to keep the unlimited data plan, but no rebates were applied (total was just over 800). When I went back and added the tethering option, it added the rebates and it dropped to just over 500 and the unlimited data went away. Thing is, everything I read said you had to get smartphone data PLUS tethering. When I did it the 'right way' I could only choose EITHER the 2GB smartphone datapro OR the 2GB datapro tethering option. In no way could I choose both (I swear I read somewhere you'd end up signing up for 4GB this way; can't find it now). In any case, I'm still biding my time before handing over the debit card numbers.
You do not lose your unlimited when you purchase the phone. If you want the phone & laptop dock bundled you must sign up for tethering and you will lose unlimited since there is no more unlimited with tethering. This means after 2 years you will have paid $780 for the dock.
I am on the phone with Premier and this lady is telling to give up my unlimited plan...
If you are trying to bundle the laptop dock see above.

Upvote 0
hey, DT.

Talked to ATT Customer Service.

They said that if this is the case with the $199 price on the lines that still have contracts, they'll just add a new line to your account and a new 2 year contract for that line. The only reason it's not able to do so right and give you a number for the new line is because it's a pre-order and it wont be processed till the phone comes out.

So I'd have a 3rd line and monthly? Yikes, I'm definitely not doing that. The way my order was looking, was it was an actual upgrade to my line (on my number) and my voice/data plan (hence the message I posted).

Upvote 0
So that looks to me like another 2 year is $299, minus the pre-order discount of $100, which makes it the same as a regular renewal!

Heck, if I can get $150-200 for my Captivate, this will be a freebie :D
You should be able to sell your phone for more than $200 on ebay/craiglist.

I would like to know the same ^ sicne im not with AT&T :(

I have a tricker question however, do AT&T phones come ACTIVATED, so when I enter all my info as a 'new customer' and the ship me the phone, do i start getting charged or does anything start until I call them or put in the SIM and activate

or can I take this unactivated device (for 199$) and dissappear :D (and later find a way to unlock it)
I'm assuming all GSM carriers are the same when it comes to SIM card activation. If you're a new customer, the SIM card is not activated. You have to dial in and give AT&T your SIM card number for them to activate the card and you cans start chugging happily along and use your phone.

The later will work too if you can unlock it and use the phone on a different carrier.

Reactions: SS2006
Upvote 0

Cool, kind of factoring that in to my decision.

BTW, when you post, I crave chocolate and peanut butter.

Weird?

Anyone with non-smartphone unlimited order this yet? Are you able to switch over to unlimited smartphone?

Very likely not, pretty much anytime to change plans, you have to select a plan that's currently available, and the smart phone unlimited data plans aren't any longer.

Upvote 0
Very likely not, pretty much anytime to change plans, you have to select a plan that's currently available, and the smart phone unlimited data plans aren't any longer.

Not true. You can keep your Unlimited data plan as long as you are an AT&T customer and upgrade to a smartphone. From my experience, it depends on how well trained the CSR you talk to.

Upvote 0
Not true. You can keep your Unlimited data plan as long as you are an AT&T customer and upgrade to a smartphone. From my experience, it depends on how well trained the CSR you talk to.

NO you CAN NOT.... If you are not on a smartphone plan you have to pick a current smartphone plan. If you have unlimited media net and u go smart phone you need to pick a CURRENT plan

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

I'm assuming all GSM carriers are the same when it comes to SIM card activation. If you're a new customer, the SIM card is not activated. You have to dial in and give AT&T your SIM card number for them to activate the card and you cans start chugging happily along and use your phone.

The later will work too if you can unlock it and use the phone on a different carrier.

Oh Sweet Ill try this out then
So theres no way they can start charging me (monthly) unless I activate it
and if I never activate it i wont hear from them u think?
So all I will end up paying are the 'due now' 250ish$ fees

Upvote 0
I will have to disagree...if you did it, you were misinformed! There is a thread about it on here and AT&T clarified that you can keep your plan.
AT&T clarifies 4G policy, current unlimited plans remain unlimited | Android Central

That article doesn't address moving from a non-smart phone plan to a smart-phone plan. That's what were discussing, NOT moving from one smartphone plan to another - I've done that a couple of times with no problems, including adding an iPhone as unlimited.

Upvote 0
I know smartphone unlimited gets to stay. If I have to switch to a new plan then so be it. Just asking if anyone has dealt with this yet.

Yes that article is right I you have a smartphone i.e blackberry unlimited, iPhone unlimited, or smartphone unlimited!!!! A media net plan isnot a smartphone data plan. You would be a data whore if you used more than 80 mb on a media net device.
Oh and I do know this as a fact as my wife had a media net unlimited , I gave her my 3GS and they MADE her line get a current smartphone data plan!

Upvote 0
I am moving from a smartphone unlimited plan ...

Awesome, then you can keep your unlimited (FYI, I had better luck walking into a corp store).

The _original_ post I commented on:

Anyone with non-smartphone unlimited order this yet? Are you able to switch over to unlimited smartphone?

...was about someone coming from a non-smart phone unlimited plan. I've never heard of anyone successfully moving that unlimited to a new unlimited.

I think maybe there was just a slight confusion about who/what. The BEST thing to do, is go into a corporate store. Online, non-AT&T sources (like Best Boobs), etc., aren't nearly as flexible.

Upvote 0
I called AT&T and they said I could have the phone pre-ordered for $533.99 off contract.

I think Ill wait to see what Best Buy has it for. I have $200 in reward zone bucks to use so it makes more sense to go there.

Yea I would think so if you're buying it off contract. Best Buy does seem to have higher off contract prices it I'm not mistaken.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones