1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

The audacity of them ...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shawn1224, Feb 9, 2011.

1. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Willy Willy

Willy Willy Well-Known Member

I can see that for the price but not the tethering fee... I think 499 is a little high but I WOULD have bought the bundle, then they slap on the tethering fee and I will keep my money!!!

3. s.m.knipe

s.m.knipe Android Expert

4. IrrelevantD

IrrelevantD Newbie

Ridiculous does not even begin to describe that comment. True, you can do things on the Atrix that you can't do on a netbook, but definitely not "more". Unless they give us a full blown Linux environment for the webtop, no, you can't do more.

Update:
    I read the Forbes article
    http://blogs.forbes.com/elizabethwo...ix-price-says-comparable-to-a-tablet/#respond

He also tried to compare it to a tablet and said "you cant make calls on a netbook"
    Apparently he hasn't heard of Skype, and if he wants to compare it to a tablet, give us a touch screen and/or multi-touch touchpad. I can get a netbook for under $300 with more functionality, pay for tethering and do more than what they are offering with the phone tucked away in my pocket.

5. Rastor

Rastor Member

This stuff also appeared in PC Magazine's review.

Motorola Atrix 4G (AT&T) Review & Rating | PCMag.com

6. WarningSLO

WarningSLO Newbie

Hopefully at some point in the near future, another carrier will get a laptop dock phone, and challenge AT&T's thinking behind this. That, or the sales numbers will be so low that AT&T will have to change its plan.

No matter how they argue, nothing changes the fact that the dock is nothing more than a screen, keyboard, and battery. All of the functionality is built into the phone.

7. ap3604

ap3604 Android Enthusiast

I guess they figure the accessory pricing is on par with what you would pay for a smartphone on contract + tablet on contract.

Not defending them. Just good to know.

8. zizo79

zizo79 Android Enthusiast

Do you guys think that there will be a generic dock some day ?

9. KenG10

KenG10 Well-Known Member

What a joke. I want to see Chris Hansen with Dateline NBC do a story on this.

10. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

I'd have to say about 75% of the people that buy that Laptop dock will return it within 14 days or less! Once the novelty wears off, and the fact that it cost you $300 for a piece of metal sets in, it'll get boxed and returned. Cool concept, but way overpriced.

11. IrrelevantD

IrrelevantD Newbie

If there's a market for it, which I'm sure there will be, someone in China will bootleg it. Build quality and availability in the US will remain a question.

12. ROCer

ROCer Well-Known Member

+1 here. The tethering fee really puts it over the edge for me. I might consider $300 without tethering fee. $200 without tethering I would be ordering it.

My best chance is a used one on ebay or a generic one. I guess I'll have to settle for just owning the best phone currently on the market:D

13. scrounger

scrounger Newbie

If you buy the lapdock/phone bundle, the effective cost of the dock is $780.
    $499 minus $199 (phone) plus $480 (24 months of hotspot/tethering @ $20/month).

14. Willy Willy

What a steal!!! Yeah stealing from me!!

15. rad204

rad204 Newbie

is it really not possible to use the dock without tethering? can you possibly run easy tether to get internet on the dock?

16. melantus

melantus Well-Known Member

I guess was the only one who thought this was dumb idea? I mean it's cute lil idea, but what's really the point? When I saw this at CES I knew the dock was going be over priced. I mean with netbooks costing so little, how could they play ball with a shell? The phone on it's own is a power house, buy that and say no to the over priced shell.

17. zizo79

zizo79 Android Enthusiast

18. jroc

jroc Android Expert

AT&T, Motorola dont get it.....the price makes it gimmicky. The dock itself isnt a gimmick.

There are some real world examples why the dock is useful. But for that price? Might as well buy a netbook or laptop and get your money's worth. You can spend less than that and still get your money's worth.

19. MarcMaiden

MarcMaiden Android Enthusiast

What makes the docks act like "docks" is the same as the original moto droid docks.

they are magnets placed in a special spot.

the laptop dock is just a USB connecter and an HDMI connector.

both those are easy to make and inexpensive as well. The problem isnt the price. The problem is the tethering.

Willy Willy and jroc like this.
  20. Willy Willy

Anyone know yet how they will charge a tether fee for the laptop doc but not the hd doc? How would they tell the difference in those 2 (both full firefox)

21. ROCer

ROCer Well-Known Member

From what I understand, you would only have to pay for tethering if you buy the $499 bundle ($199 atrix, $300 laptop dock). However if you buy the laptop dock at the full price of $499 then there would be no tethering fee(Wi-Fi route). There's no HD doc bundle so there's no tethering fee.

From the CNET Atrix Review
    -
    "....As we mentioned, there are two purchasing options. One is a bundle package that includes the Atrix 4G and the laptop dock for $499.99 with a two-year contract, Data Pro data plan, and tethering add-on, and after a $100 mail-in rebate. If you'd rather go the Wi-Fi route and not deal with the tethering add-on, you can buy the dock alone for $499.99....."

22. Willy Willy

Yes But the press release says for full firefox tethering is required. This whole thing seams like a cluster f*** as they have officially stated anything about webtop mode and what u pay. If it is just a discout for getting tether then the laptop is back on in my book but that's not what the presser said.

23. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation

I disagree, I mean I agree that tethering is an issue, but the laptop dock is also an issue as well. Even at the bundle price, $300 is still too much for a USB and HDMI connector.

The laptop dock should be no more than $120 and if AT&T was really serious about competing against the Verizon iPhone, they should be offering it free to new customers as an incentive to sign on.

24. Willy Willy

Why the iPhone on verizon is an old phone and per reviewers SLOW compared to the ATT iPhone. Verizon got it to have it... It sucks apple is what sells so moto or google need to step up not ATT

Motorola Atrix 4G Forum

The Motorola Atrix 4G release date was February 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1930mAh battery.

February 2011
Release Date
Reviews