• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Bah-Humbug thread!

We've already begun to get requests for gift lists (what other people should buy for us).

The frustrating part is that even when I give them suggestions for something I might actually want (within reason) THEY NEVER BUY IT! I usually end up with a shirt or a book, which, while might be a nice gift, makes me wonder if the only thing the list is for is to irritate me.

Upvote 0
We've already begun to get requests for gift lists (what other people should buy for us).

The frustrating part is that even when I give them suggestions for something I might actually want (within reason) THEY NEVER BUY IT! I usually end up with a shirt or a book, which, while might be a nice gift, makes me wonder if the only thing the list is for is to irritate me.

Yup. The ritual exchange of garbage is the reason I don't participate. I'm a Scrooge apparently. :D

Upvote 0
iS3sNSM0OGNFVgvTnxScB21rsS8GArsqbB5fhLMnMD8.jpg

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
how a Christmas tradition began
In early December, four of Santa's elves got sick. When the trainee elves could not produce toys as fast as the regular ones, Santa began to feel some Pre-Christmas pressure.

Then Mrs. Claus mentioned that her Mother was coming to visit, stressing Santa even more.

He went to harness the reindeer, and found that three of them were about to give birth and two others had gotten loose and were out, Heaven knows where.

Then, when he began load-testing the sleigh, one of the floorboards cracked; the bag of toys fell to the ground and all the toys were scattered.

Frustrated, Santa went back in the house for a cup of apple cider and a shot of rum.

Opening the cupboard, he discovered the elves had drunk all the cider and hidden the liquor. In his frustration, he accidentally dropped the cider jug, breaking it into hundreds of little glass pieces all over the kitchen floor. He got the broom and found the mice had eaten all the straw off the end of the broom.

Just then the doorbell rang. An irritated Santa marched to the door, yanked it open, only to find a little Angel with a great big Christmas tree.

The Angel said very cheerfully, 'Merry Christmas, Santa. Isn't this a lovely day? I have a beautiful tree for you. Where would you like me to stick it?'

And so began the tradition of the little angel on top of the Christmas tree.

Not a lot of people know this.

Upvote 0
You know, I've never been a big fan of Starbucks, but they seem to get a lot of grief around the holidays. I think I'm going to have to reconsider.

All humor aside, this year is turning out to be a rough one for me already. My stress level has already reached the point of waking up in a cold sweat, having headaches approaching migraine status and a constant feeling of anger (okay, maybe 'rage' is more appropriate). I think I can ignore most of the extraneous stuff like the decorations and displays, incessant music (which are no longer 'carols' but sappy party tunes that just happen to mention Christmas), etc. It is the complete lack of empathy/consideration from my family that pushes my buttons.

Last year i was told to "get over myself" about the holiday depression. This year I have already been accused of behaving like a spoiled brat. I really don't get why people can't understand how hard it is to pretend to be festive when you're not happy.

Reactions: shalemail
Upvote 0
You know, I've never been a big fan of Starbucks, but they seem to get a lot of grief around the holidays. I think I'm going to have to reconsider.

All humor aside, this year is turning out to be a rough one for me already. My stress level has already reached the point of waking up in a cold sweat, having headaches approaching migraine status and a constant feeling of anger (okay, maybe 'rage' is more appropriate). I think I can ignore most of the extraneous stuff like the decorations and displays, incessant music (which are no longer 'carols' but sappy party tunes that just happen to mention Christmas), etc. It is the complete lack of empathy/consideration from my family that pushes my buttons.

Last year i was told to "get over myself" about the holiday depression. This year I have already been accused of behaving like a spoiled brat. I really don't get why people can't understand how hard it is to pretend to be festive when you're not happy.

I'm truly sorry you suffer (literally) from Seasonal Depression. (Yea it makes ya angry too) I have been there, and I have also enjoyed holidays. So far this season, I am not too into it and would prefer to be a big black bear hibernating till spring.

Good luck Luna - sorry the family and friends can't relate and leave you be. Sometimes a man just needs to be left to his devices and allowed to brood or whatever to gradually release the steam through the pressure valve.

Upvote 0
I recommend the Charlie Brown Christmas special to explain.

Let's look at Mr. Schultz's expression of Christmas, shall we? Charlie Brown, the juvenile "everyman" sad sack who finds his feelings are not what his social group says they should be goes in search of the answer to the question "What is the meaning of Christmas?"

Along the way he encounters entitlement, greed and selfishness, judgmental peers, derision and ridicule. The general consensus is that there is something wrong with HIM.

His search for understanding leads him to participate in a holiday tradition and sincerely make his best effort to not only satisfy all the participants, but actually do a good job. How do his peers react? Criticism and mockery.

When the "true" ideal meaning of Christmas is revealed in Linus' presentation of the Scriptures, only Charlie Brown abandons the shallow commercial display and goes out on his own in contemplation of the depth of the promise of Christianity.

Here's the kicker ... the rest of the group, in recognition of how terribly they've treated a well-meaning and gentle soul, with pangs of guilt, try to make him feel better by including him back in their shallow commercial traditions, because to them, that's what's important about Christmas.

In the end, only Charlie Brown has learned something, but must keep silent as what he's learned does not promote the materialistic festival of Christmas.

Oh, and to this day, Charlie Brown continues to try ... continues to trust ... and continues to fall flat on his back when Lucy pulls the football away at the last minute. And yet, Charlie Brown remains the iconic symbol of a 'loser'.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones