• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The battle: Overclock Widget (newbie) vs SetCPU (reigning champion)

Which do you Truly Prefer? Assuming you've tried both Overclock tools

• Total voters

IzelTokatl

Android Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2009
Southern California
So i've been playing around with Overclock Widget and SetCPU specifically on the Eris (hence why im asking in the Eris sections for peoples responces). This issue is somewhat different on other phones.

I'm trying to get the least amount of CPU/batter consumption with equal or greater CPUclock management on the eris. I've been reading around forums and sites that overclock widget is newer and less popular, especially since SetCPU had the most compatibility with stuffs. But as Overclock widget has matured (and roms) its more compatible now with things.

What I've noticed so far after a day's worth of notes:

Overclock Widget ranges (test yourself) from .5% CPU to 9.7%(highest only around boot, but averages around 1-3% over the day) and uses 11 to 13MB Memory Usage thereby using less battery over time.

SetCPU (v2.0.1) goes anywhere from 10% to 20%(right now averaging 11%) CPU usage and around 11 to 13MB of Memory Usage

I'm confirming all data points with System Panel App.

anyone else care to comment? I'll be testing each for one week at a time to get longer usage stats, but I'd really like to see what others are finding if you want to play with the OC/battery saving stuffs.

---------------
OC clock isn't a true newbie, but if you throw the name around most people are clueless... SetCPU is basically common knowledge for all rooters who aren't newbies.

I haven't tried Overclock Widget, but the SetCPU widget seemed to cause a 2-10 second delay when waking/unlocking my phone. Ever since removing that widget, I've had no lag at all.

Setting the 'Screen Off/Sleep/Standby' profile maximum speed to something more like 480 instead of 245 (or whatever it's at) is the best cure for this.

My sleep/standby settings are 122-480mhz. The phone is SLOWER when doing the lock screen and from coming out of sleep, but not laggy, at all.

It just feels about like my Eris was before overclocking for 1-2 seconds. Then it's super.

Upvote 0
Setting the 'Screen Off/Sleep/Standby' profile maximum speed to something more like 480 instead of 245 (or whatever it's at) is the best cure for this.

My sleep/standby settings are 122-480mhz. The phone is SLOWER when doing the lock screen and from coming out of sleep, but not laggy, at all.

It just feels about like my Eris was before overclocking for 1-2 seconds. Then it's super.

Yep, I tried that... it lowered the delay at first, but it was still unacceptable. Then it built up again anyway. After removing the widget, I have zero delay/lag/freeze when waking/unlocking now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones