1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root The Behold II and ext4???

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lych, Nov 14, 2010.

1. lych

lych Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Does anyone know if the Behold II supports ext4 partitions? I was thinking of upgrading my ext3 app2sd to ext4 but I wanted to make sure that the phone supported it first.

Advertisement

2. lych

lych Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Since no one has responded, I thought I would add what I found out about ext4 support in the Behold II [BH2]. According to the source code, It seems that the BH2's kernel does indeed have support for ext4; however, I was unable to verify that Samsung actually compiled their kernel with ext4 support.

Back in the old day, before Cyanogen and Amon_Ra's recovery, to upgrade an ext3 partition to ext4, this was all that was needed:
    Code (Text):
    2. tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
    3. e2fsck -fpDC0 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
    When I ran those commands in recovery mode via adb, tune2fs refused to run because of a missing mtab file (meaning tune2fs couldn't verify that mmcblk0p2 was mounted or not). I could be that I needed to use a newer version of tune2fs (but I'm too lazy to compile it myself). Whatever I tried, tune2fs wouldn't run. I actually had to use Acronis Disk Director to upgrade from ext2 to ext3 as I ran into the same problem before btw. I decided to give up and just use ext3 for app2sd. It works well and the slow down isn't really noticeable. Plus I like the added bonus of the journal.

The moral of the story: When buying a phone, make sure there is an actively developed ROM for it (like Cyanogenmod). Otherwise, forget about hacking it.

baramov likes this.