• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The best apps I have found so far :)

ScumPuppy

Aug 23, 2009
After downloading most apps and removing the bad ones I thougth I would share my experience with some cool apps, you can search by name on marketplace on phone :)

1) Fotmob - has to be the best app for football games, it updates within a minute of a team scoring a goal with a customised sound, then lets you go into the stats of each game, links to youtube etc.. a MUST have for footy fans (FREE but has a few ads which you have to pay to have ad free, its so good I paid for this for no ads.. love it)

2) Battery Widget - has an indepth battery view on home screen, also has quick buttons when you click on it to turn off wifi and GPS to save battery.. really good (FREE)

3) Gmote - Best app on marketplace.. you can control your PC with this, either use it as a remote to play your movies, pics, music etc or even better use the touch screen to control the mouse.. a must have for media centre users!!! excellent app!! (FREE with option to donate)

4) Alarm or Alarmed Lite - 2 cool alarm clocks, make you solve a trivia quiz before it turns off!! nice :) (FREE, but alarmed lite has a paid for version with more features)

5) 1337pwn.com xbox gamertag notifier - lets you know instantly when your friends come online on xbox live, know whos on before you go online, send messages etc.. awesome (FREE)

6) Movie finder - great for finding your local cinema, getting showing times etc (FREE)

7) Music online lite - basically this is a free music downloader, downloads any song straight to your phone, using this on WiFi is just a must have if you cant be bothered getting music on your pc and then transferring to phone, good for getting tunes on the move too.. (FREE)

8) Qik - turns your phone camera into a free live streaming webcam, broadcasts to Username on Qik and works on 3G aswell as WiFi, up until last few days Iphone couldnt do this on 3G (now it can).. very nice app.. amazing, really cool (FREE)

9) WiFi analyser - Simple but effective, fixed my own and my friends wifi problems by using this to scan for channel clashes in the area and use it to select an unused channel for bug free wifi!! fantastic (FREE)

10) Layar - This shows the potential for augmented reality apps.. look into it, have a play and see how the future looks.. eventually you will look for house for sale down a street, it will point to them through your phone camera.. awesome, looks cool (FREE)

theres also the obvious apps that deserve a mention that most people have, PLACES is good for finding places nearby like Taxi's, shops, etc.. SHAZAM is good for listening to and identifying songs, SNAPTELL takes a photo of a DVD or scans the barcode and fnds prices online (more for USA than UK as everything is in dollars), WHATS ON is a tv guide, pay for it and it links to sky plus box and records it for you, ULTIMATE HOLDEM TIMER is a great poker blinds timer for home poker tourneys - love this poker timer, PKT AUCTIONS EBAY links to your ebay account.. handy app

anyone got anymore fell free to add to this ;)

Nice list - thanks.

By the way does Footmob (ads version) take an absolute age to load up for everyone else? I'm thinking of buying but not if it behaves like this...

Fotmob loads quick for me, the only thing that is sorta slow are the news blips on 1 bar of 3g...every other time its quick, and its nice that the ads load last.
Thanks for the Fotmob suggestion btw, it is what I was looking for and much better than the Soccer Livescores app I was using before.

My Tracks and Listen (both from Google) are two more of my faves.

Upvote 0
no footmob starts up really quick, never had an issue with it.. I agree, no point paying for it if you dont mind a few small ads, its basically the same but I like it so much I dont mind donating to the devs :)

Its always running on mine :)

I forgot to mention "Note Everything" is another quality app.. really handy for making notes both text, drawing (cool) and voice.. its FREE too

Upvote 0
The only app better than Note Everything for taking notes of various kinds is Note Everything Pro, a worthy purchase. Great voicenote facility too, and the checklists are good, particularly the persistent checklist, great for my supermarket runs!

As for weight training, there's "WorkItOut", I've had a look at it and it looks quite good but I've not actually used it properly yet. I had a look through a few others and that's the one I ended up keeping on the phone.

I've got Layar installed, still not sold on this whole "augmented reality" thing, looks far too much like an impractical gimmick to me. Good apps though are;

Astrid for tasks, the best I've used since the Psion 3C
Bright Flash for a torch
Places Directory for a practical means of finding things
Oi Countdown for multiple countdown alarms for things like washing
CoPilot Live for satnav, it's not much good but better than Nokia Maps.
FBReader for reading books
Pkt Auctions for ebay
Sound Manager for setting volumes on a schedule
Astro file manager
TasKiller (paid for) for killing apps that get too fat
Acast for podcasts, very very very buggy but still good.
Pure Calendar widget in 4x3 mode with gmail, astrid, browser and Note Everything below it
Time Tracker for the occasional client who wants stupidly precise billing
B-Folders for encrypted storage that can be exported and backed up
BBC Listings for getting F1 races into my calendar
Album Art Grabber for getting CD covers for MP3s, often not the right ones but never mind!
Documents to Go
TV Guide for when I'm in a hotel (I don't watch TV at home other than F1)
Y5 Battery Saver for turning off Wifi based on location.

Those are just the ones I use regularly or find invaluable on occasion. There's quite a few more installed.

Upvote 0
you are so kind. thanks very much. it helps me a lot.
clear.gif
:)

Upvote 0
I haven't downloaded that many apps (just a few), but the one app that I have found to be very nice (albeit NOT FREE, yet worth every penny), is CoPilot Live: it basically transforms your android phone into a GPS unit with voice turn-by-turn instructions. The app is $35 USD, but considering what it does, is worth the price. DISCLAIMER: of course, this cannot compete with a true dedicated GPS unit, it's very basic and maps may be a little out-dated for certain areas, but then again, a cheap GPS unit will run you down for about $100 USD, so for $35, this tradeoff is more than acceptable to me.

Upvote 0
couple more which are quality!!

LOCK 2.0 - free or paid for versions.. worth getting the paid for version, it has better options, I currently use the 'alienware2' skin as my lock screen, awesome!!!! there is also an iphone skin to mimic the iphone lock screen, to be honest why would you want to make it look like an iphone, the iphone should want to look like this with 'alienware2' awesome.

Colortouch - Free or paid for version, free version doesnt let you save the picture.. I have paid for this and created loads of cool pics in black and white and color touched up specific areas of the photo with my finger, fantastic app!!!

Im also going to get the

Upvote 0
Hold fire on the CoPilot purchase, some chap's using NDrive on his android phone, so that'll probably turn up at some point, not sure how he's using it as it's not listed in Market Place in the UK and not listed on their own website, but if it turns up it might be better. CoPilot is OK but not wonderful, better than a poke in the eye. It's got some funny thoughts when it comes to calculating travel times, and that's more important than it sounds as travel times are core to the routing. CoPilot is also totally isolated from Android, you can't navigate to contacts or use Google Maps or anything else to get locations into it, which is a shame as it's a PITA to pick a spot on a map and save it as a location as the map view always resets to your current or home location so you can't find a town then go to map view to select the point, you have to scroll the map to the town first without any search facilities. Best way to pick a specific spot on a map is to use the menu options to go through the motions used to add a POI or favourite by address, type the nearest town, press a few keys until you get a street name, any street name, select it, then select "view on map" and scroll to where you *really* want the point to be.

Upvote 0
Hold fire on the CoPilot purchase, some chap's using NDrive on his android phone, so that'll probably turn up at some point, not sure how he's using it as it's not listed in Market Place in the UK and not listed on their own website, but if it turns up it might be better. CoPilot is OK but not wonderful, better than a poke in the eye. It's got some funny thoughts when it comes to calculating travel times, and that's more important than it sounds as travel times are core to the routing. CoPilot is also totally isolated from Android, you can't navigate to contacts or use Google Maps or anything else to get locations into it, which is a shame as it's a PITA to pick a spot on a map and save it as a location as the map view always resets to your current or home location so you can't find a town then go to map view to select the point, you have to scroll the map to the town first without any search facilities. Best way to pick a specific spot on a map is to use the menu options to go through the motions used to add a POI or favourite by address, type the nearest town, press a few keys until you get a street name, any street name, select it, then select "view on map" and scroll to where you *really* want the point to be.

Thansk for the heads up.. might wait a little while then on that and see what else pops up :)

Upvote 0
Thought I would add this to the list

AUTOSPEAKER - costs a quid or something small like that.. it automates loud speaker through motion, so if you are in the car and the phone rings you answer it as normal, then put the phone down onto a surface and it automatically switches loud speaker on. pick it up and it turns loud speaker off!!!

fantastic app.. well worth the

Upvote 0
Have to add Locale to the list. Have your phone automatically go in to silent mode at night time, or when you're in your office, or turn on/off the wi-fi as you move around. It's just superb, and with so many add-ins either already available or on their way it can only get better. I guess if you're any good with developing you could probably customise add-ins for it to suit yourself as needed.
The dev mentioned to me in an email that a new version is being worked on just now too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones