1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips The Best Chargers I've Found To Date for My SGN

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by PetiePal, Dec 30, 2011.

1. speede541

speede541 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    SF Bay Area, California

Sorry, can't say -- I'm never plugged in to the car long enough to find out. Gotta say though that I prefer the lower profile of the Power jolt and am not a fan of the Motorola's coiled cord when I'm plugged in and using the phone on my dash for navigation.

Advertisement

2. mistermojorizi

mistermojorizi Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 26, 2011
    My motorola car charger for five bucks on amazon is rated at nine fifty amps and shows as charging ac

Deathshead likes this.
  3. ChappellHeel

ChappellHeel Newbie
    None

Dec 7, 2011
  4. Lush78

Lush78 Lurker
    None

Jan 26, 2012
    Anyone know where i can buy the oem samsung charger from the first post in canada? Amazon.com will not ship this product to canada, and amazon.ca does not have a listing for it. Thanks in advance...

5. Howard Packer

Howard Packer Member
    None

Here is a 2.1 + 1 amp version. Awaiting a response to verify that it in fact will work without soldering, and that it will give the full output from each port instead of just total output. There is an iPad version that does not work with Android devices at the proper power output, but this model specifically mentions a Galaxy Tablet plus another device. Kinda pricey, but might just be the solution.

I was using a Griffin Powerjolt Dual previously, but it fried after about six months or so, maybe a little longer but certainly in less than a year.

6. PetiePal

PetiePal Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Update!

I finally received my 4 USB to MicroUSB cables I ordered from Amazon.

THESE ARE THEM They have the data pins shorted to one another effectively disabling them. When the data pins are not detected as viable any charging block or whatever will charge your phone at the full AC level. I've confirmed the entire original PowerDuo Universal Micro package charges as "AC" now. A little trickery to get it to work as advertised but having to buy a $4 cable was quite an easy fix.

So to summarize you won't be able to use these cables to transfer data to/from your PC, but they charge at the full 1amp out at long as the charging block/jack supports it.

7. PetiePal

PetiePal Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Now to add some weirdness to the mix...I took the Griffin charger and then connected the Samsung branded cable that CAME with my Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and it showed charging from USB! This makes sense in that the Samsung cable is for data AND power, however for whatever reason when used with the Samsung power bring it charges as full AC.

Perplexing!

8. PetiePal

PetiePal Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    You have to keep in mind that if the MicroUSB cable you're using is incompatible EVEN if you use the 1amp port, it will charge at USB rate. Also in my experience Scosche products are horrendously overpriced. I had their upconverting iPod touch plug (since 3rd gen iPod touchs needed the higher amperage adapter)

9. DPiddy

DPiddy Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 9, 2011
    Just bought this one last week. it works great. My test: Full Brightness, Navigation running, playing music, bluetooth turned on. Over a 15 minute drive my phone charged up just under 10 percent. My phone also has the extended battery. I highly recommend this charger. The only drawback is it sticks out a few inches further than my old car charger and hangs over a cup holder. Not a big deal for me, but if your cup holder is close to your power socket this may be a problem.

10. speede541

speede541 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    SF Bay Area, California

The shorting of the Data pins can also occur in the charger, or a specific value resistor can be used to identify the source as high current capable.

It's time I bust out my meter and sacrifice: a generic USB cable, in order to test some of this. I believe we'll find a resistance across the Samsung cable used to indicate to the charger it is high-current capable, and the charger in turn shorting the D+/- (or using a lower resistance value) to indicate to the phone's charging IC that the higher current is available.

After that, I want to measure the Max rate at which the GNex will charge. Is it capped at 1A, or is a 2.1A charger of some usefulness?

Lastly, I want to test a theory that the phone will indicate "CHARGING AC" even if it's charging at 300mA on a USB port, just by jumping the Data pins.

11. hawkeye680

hawkeye680 Newbie
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    I bought this one

Dual USB Charger | Bracketron

And it shows USB when plugged into the 2.1 amp port, but AC power when plugged into the 1 amp port.

12. Gnok31

Gnok31 Member
    None

Nov 22, 2009
  13. Deathshead

Deathshead Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 29, 2008
    I run the Official Motorola car chargers that I used with my droid x's

I got them from Amazon for like $2.00 each. In a store they would be 20x the price.

All the cheap chargers either do not provide enough amperage if youre running NAVI, etc
    and will either not charge or will burn up and melt.

I really wish they would of put a little lip on the bottom of the phone to make it a little easier to plug in in the dark, My is getting all boogered up from trying to put the charger plug in backwards and scratched up a bit from "trying to find the hole" perhaps i need to put some hair around it, ROFL

[​IMG]

These Chargers, that work tits.

14. Jay3

Jay3 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 6, 2010
    I tested out my OG Droid charger yesterday by actually timing it -- I was at a seminar and plugged it in over by the wall. The phone went from 14% to 84% in 1:15. No bad. I consider it a fully functioning extra wall charger.

15. TonyG

TonyG Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    Male
    R&D
    MA
    This is a question to all you experimenters using non-OEM wall chargers to charge your GNx: does your phone go crazy form time to time when charging, i.e., various apps are getting activated, the screen becomes unresponsive etc etc? This craziness ends as soon as I unplug the phone. A VZW tech guy said it may be some battery apps that have a conflict with the charging routine; it sounds strange to me...

16. Howard Packer

Howard Packer Member
    None

UPDATE: I have been using this for about a month without problems. It shows as charging on A/C, not USB, on my Epic (Galaxy S). I am only using one port so far. So, I can't say anything beyond what is going on for me so far.

Tags: