1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

The best free offline GPS application

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by lrantisi, Jul 25, 2013.

1. lrantisi

lrantisi Lurker
    None

Jul 21, 2013
    I want to download an application for my android Note 2 to use it as a GPS application. It shouldn't need a working mobile data to function, it should be able to work offline.

Advertisement

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
  3. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Doesnt Google Maps still do it but you have to type something in for it to work or something crazy like that?

4. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Android Expert
    None

Jan 12, 2010
    Male
    Process Engineer
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Google has never really been a viable option for offline use. Everything had to be set up while online then if things changed while offline, it had no capacity to correct. Also, you could not create a new route (even in the downloaded maps) while offline.

It isn't free, but CoPilot is worth looking into. It houses all of the maps on the device. They update regularly and it works well. The US Premium version is only about $10, but the costs for other countries vary greatly. You didn't mention your location, so I don't know where you want to use it.

Hope this helps,
    BigRedGonzo

funkylogik likes this.
  5. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    What kind of GPS application do you need? :)
    Just a car turn-by-turn navigation or Google Maps like searching ability?
    Or a hiking GPS app with topographic maps and routing/tracking ability?

Harry

6. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
  7. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    I'll second Navfree...not very many features but simple, accurate, fast.... works for off line voice navigation. One down side-while navigating, the top of the screen is always the direction you're driving...and there is no compass rose to tell you which direction is north or which direction you're driving. This is a Gaping hole on features IMO, but all else is so good that I still use it.

The next closest competitor IMO is Osmand. Very customizable and many Great features. But not quite as accurate in directions. Slow in calculating route especially for long distance. Doesn't always recalculate well when I stray. Map is More cluttered. The lane directions are distracting and not distinguishable enough from th e important instructions. i.e. driving on interstae see Many lane changes and then the exit pops up in same Manner. In. don't need it to tell me how to stay in interstate but I'd m
    like to be informed more fiercely when it's time to exit.

Both are great programs and I keep both in my phone. Went back and fourth and compared on same routes. Although OsmNd has wonderful features, navfree consistently works better where Osmand occasionally stumbles and gets confused or confuses me

8. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    Again, what kind of GPS application one needs for what to do when offline :)

? Just a car turn-by-turn navigation
    -> NavFree (if it absolutely must be free ;))

? Google Maps-like searching ability
    -> Maps With Me

? A hiking GPS app with topographic maps and routing/tracking ability
    -> OsmAnd (for emergencies as car navigation ;))

Harry

9. sunnysim

sunnysim Lurker
    None

Jul 26, 2013
    I believe that MapDroyd and Navfree do offline! I don

10. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert
    None

Aug 30, 2012
    I've been reading this thread and a few other offline nav threads for a few days and somehow I forgot I have one really nice device that could benefit from such an app. It is an iPad (provided by my job; don't worry, I'd have chosen an android device if it was up to me). Does anybody here know a good free offline nav app with turn by turn voice directions and all the other normal features one might expect?

I know it is off topic but I don't want to join an apple forum just for that!

11. ml_nelson

ml_nelson Newbie
    None

Nov 10, 2010

12. mmutoo

mmutoo Lurker
    None

Mar 17, 2014
    It is a bit late for this reply, but I thought it might help people who are looking for answers ;)
    The best 3 I could find after a long time search are:

OSMAND: Very well designed, good interface, easy to use, full of features, and stable. Although the latest update made it a bit sluggish and unstable. You also have the limit of 10 map downloads (and for those who live in Canada or US, the provinces and states are in a separate file each, so for example if you want the whole canada map you need to download all your 10 free maps!). The bad thing is, every time the app downloads the updated version of the already installed maps, your free map counter counts this as one download! So by every update you get closer to your limit! (somebody correct me if I am wrong).

Map Factor Navigator: This is also a good app. Uses the same maps from Open Street Map. A good interface, simple to use, and stable. Not as many customization options as OSMAND, but still gets the job done. It is completely free, and you download each country in one map.

NavFree: This one is probably the most known of the three. It is completely free. However, I don't recommend it since it is unstable, and every now and then it pops an error that says your map file is corrupted and asks for permission to download it again (this happened to me on several devices). Also IMO the interface is not as clear as Map Factor Navigator.

EarlyMon likes this.
  13. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Amy Smith and EarlyMon like this.