• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Best Launcher

Are you sure you're using Nova when you're doing this? Did you set it as the default launcher? If you accidentally went back to the stock launcher, the long press won't work. If you are in Nova, I would try rebooting the phone and see if it works then.

I believe he was pointing out that the long press doesn't give the same options on stock as it does on Nova.. since one of the posts he quoted said it did.

That's what I was referring to. So in Nova a long-press adds a widget... thanks. I shall be downloading soon.

Upvote 0
I'm using Nova and its sweet, a fresh look and no lag. I loved Go on my incredible, but on Nexus it was laggy as hell, dock changing icons and not scrolling smooth, I see theres an update for Go this morning, we'll see how that goes. They say it supports ICS, and it does, but I speculate it is just having trouble with the Nexus resolution.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the noob question.. but when looking for an icon pack, do i just need to look for anything with ADW in the name?

If you're looking on the market and intend to use it with Nova Launcher, that is one way to get icons. The other way is to find the icons online, download them and put them in a folder on your phone. There are many more icon packs out on the internet than there are through the android market.

Upvote 0
Anyone remember the app that combines an apps multiple widgets in the add widget oldschool listing popup? (Sort of like how CM did its widget listings in gingerbread & before)
The one I know of is called appwidgetpicker. Looks like it'll work on ICS but only with alternative launchers.

[App] AppWidgetPicker - xda-developers

Reactions: foo
Upvote 0
I really like the stock, GO, and Nova. I need to spend more time with them though. SO far, I always go back to stock. I can't decide which is smoothest, maybe Nova, then GO, then stock.

What I want... is a scroll bar in the app drawer.

When someone says put Nova in the system folder, does that mean replace the stock launcher with it? I've done that with other apps, but it is different than just installing Nova, right?

I assume, that will probably make it extremely and undeniably smooth. I did just have Nova crash on me though...

:thinking: Any way to migrate all homescreen icons and widgets from launcher to launcher? :thinking:

I would love a hybrid of GO and Nova... or just some way to custom compile your own launcher (without editing a bunch of source)...

Upvote 0
I downloaded Nova and I don't see what the big deal is. Go launcher can do all the same things plus I like the transitions they have etc. Unless anyone else can really sell me on Nova I am sticking with Go launcher until they update Nova more.

I was an avid GoLauncher user on my Samsung Vibrant. I absolutely loved it. However on my Gnex it's a bit sluggish, especially compared to Nova. Nova is just incredibly fast, even compared to the "butter" google put in Jelly Bean. I tried installing GoLauncher again and it just felt bloated. Not that the Gnex couldn't run it, but it's like it's seen better days. If GoLauncher could go back and re-optimize the code so it was a lot snappier, I would agree that it is truly the best launcher.

Upvote 0
I was an avid GoLauncher user on my Samsung Vibrant. I absolutely loved it. However on my Gnex it's a bit sluggish, especially compared to Nova. Nova is just incredibly fast, even compared to the "butter" google put in Jelly Bean. I tried installing GoLauncher again and it just felt bloated. Not that the Gnex couldn't run it, but it's like it's seen better days. If GoLauncher could go back and re-optimize the code so it was a lot snappier, I would agree that it is truly the best launcher.

I don't have any sluggish issues with GoLauncher on my G-Nex. It runs equally as smooth as the other launchers I switch between depending on my mood. I just don't install all the Go apps to go with it (GoLocker is the exception, but I use WidgetLocker too). I keep several installed; GoLauncher EX, ADWLauncher EX, LauncherPro Plus, Nova Prime, and Apex Launcher Pro.

While I do enjoy the visual transitions that most launchers offer, I leave any and all visual eye candy like that disabled throughout the entire phone as it really digs into the battery. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones