• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Best Music Player??

This is all about the functionality of the player. Is there any difference in de quality of the sound, or is that a given by the phone you use?

Two other more sound quality related questions:
-Are there any Flac players besides meridian?
-What is the maximum bitrate you can play without frequent hickups?

Many thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
never heard of this one. I just tried it out, its pretty nice but is there a list view? Also, i think there are widgets available through a separate app download.

Menu>View Mode>Boring gives you a simple list view.

The download comes with 3 different size widgets + a "classic" widget which is just the simple bar with play/pause and ffw.

Great app! It's actually the only one I use anymore with 20+ gigs of mp3's on my Incredible. Gave my ipod to my son once I set this up...

Upvote 0
I've been using Music Mod. It's not in the market but you can grab it here Music Mod. I've only had one recurring issue with it where it will restart the song when the screen shuts off. My only wish is that it would work with LockBot so I wouldn't have to always unlock the phone to switch a song or whatever.

Thank you! I've been looking for a straightforward music player that looks nice. I have used Mixzing but can't purchase the app as paid apps aren't available in my country and the ADS ruin it for me. Been using Yebisu for a while now but I just hate the ridiculously small album art when playing songs. I've used 3 (cubed) too, but dislike the UI. I love the effects though.

Music Mod is a clean and functional player. I love the uncluttered now playing screen. I love that it uses my wallpaper as its own background. Gestures! Would be awesome if it became skinnable. Not that there's anything wrong with the UI. Good player overall, can't wait to see the improvements.

Upvote 0
Since I don't care much for extra stuff (not knocking them of course!) and the majority of my music has no cover art, I ended up sticking with the stock player. Of course, if anyone knows of a music app that can repeat the same song, allow you to access music straight from the sdcard, and can play music when locked let me know!

Upvote 0
Just downloaded zimly - wow! What a slick interface. Everything I need and if a TAG editor and album artwork download was integrated this would be even better than what it is now. Have no tlooked at creating playlists on the fly and don't really do that much anyway but seemes easy enough to modify existing ones. Will try this out for a while and remove the free MixZing version for now.

The delete playlist popup made me laugh...

A question about artwork and this is for all players is that it is distorted when on full screen or 3/4 of the screen. I guess because iTunes keeps lower res artwork files then what is required on my Galaxy S???

EDIT - Oh it needs a GENRE tab too and put Podcasts to the main screen with AUDIO, VIDEO, SETTINGS..

Upvote 0
I saw that in the Market. The only thing is, there is no trial program for it and I "personally" don't want to take the chance of loosing out on the $1.49 it costs. By the way, is there a specific reason why that program is showing up twice in the Market? I get the exact same listing twice, price and all. Probably just a glitch I guess. I also saw in the description how it is supposed to download missing artwork. The same thing is said for the MixZing program, but it doesn't accomplish that and the bTunes probably won't either. I suppose that is because the data bases that these programs work from aren't familiar with the artist/albums.

i use mixzing free, and it does eventually download the album art. i don't run background data all day so i assumed thats why it took a while. but if the id tags of your music is accurate ... it will get the album data

Upvote 0
I don't think there is any "best" music players. They all have different strengths and weaknesses. I have bought 3:
1) Meridian. This has support for many audio formats, including lossless, and cuesheet. It is also a videoplayer. The main strength is the metadata support. It will find lyrics, album art etc, and it can search the currently playing song on the net. Some songs has quite a lot of info on the net: who is playing what, recording facts, other versions, etc. It doesn't have it's own EQ, but I suppose that it will work with the Equalizer that you will find on the Market.
2) PowerAmp. This is the one that most people seems to recommend. It has EQ, a wide codec support, and a lot of other nice features. They are working on a new version that is due any time now.
3) Neutron Music Player. This is my current favorite. It is still fresh, and hasn't quite the same set of features as the others yet. It also has a non-standard UI. But the developer has started in the right end of development by focusing on musical features first. It certainly sounds better than any other player I have heard. It supports perfect gapless playback (the only player on the market that actually is perfect), crossfeed, a good parametric EQ, etc. Check it out if you want the best playback quality available.

Upvote 0
Since I originally created this post I've settled on Zimly. It's free, great layout, finds all my music and artwork and can create playlists. I have no complaints. Oh and it also has a "Quit" feature so that it doesn't continue running in the background if you decide to stop listening.

Have you stayed with Zimly? I want a free player with folder view and option to repeat a single song.

Upvote 0
Hi all, New Android user here. I'd like a better app than the stock music player. I've read many comments about Folder based players and Mortplayer seems the way to go. But those comments are old. I don't use Playlists ever, I arrange my own mixes in Folders and just let them play while I work, drive etc.

But I really really hate when the screen blacks out and I have to hit a button and key in my PW to get to the player again which is a pain when driving or when you want to suddenly stop the music. Browsing the Market isn't all that helpful so I thought I'd ask here:

Is there a Newer player that is great with Folders and can get around the Screen Lock so I can access the controls anytime? Paid or Free I don't care.

(that 10 minute limit on the screen is ridiculous, my #1 complaint about the Android) If it gets album art that would be cool too but not mandatory. Other features like EQ would be nice too but the first 2 are what I really want.

Is Mortplayer still the one? :thinking:

Any help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Hi all, New Android user here. I'd like a better app than the stock music player. I've read many comments about Folder based players and Mortplayer seems the way to go. But those comments are old. I don't use Playlists ever, I arrange my own mixes in Folders and just let them play while I work, drive etc.

But I really really hate when the screen blacks out and I have to hit a button and key in my PW to get to the player again which is a pain when driving or when you want to suddenly stop the music. Browsing the Market isn't all that helpful so I thought I'd ask here:

Is there a Newer player that is great with Folders and can get around the Screen Lock so I can access the controls anytime? Paid or Free I don't care.

(that 10 minute limit on the screen is ridiculous, my #1 complaint about the Android) If it gets album art that would be cool too but not mandatory. Other features like EQ would be nice too but the first 2 are what I really want.

Is Mortplayer still the one? :thinking:

Any help would be appreciated.

PowerAmp Pro does what you want. It has a lock screen, full control feature, that works over the stock or 3rd party lock screen. You just have to press the button to turn the screen on and that's it. You can organize your music in folders, you want, and it will pull album art as well.

Reactions: ArgoDave
Upvote 0
I've used PowerAmp, UberMusic and PlayerPro, and for some reason lately I went back to the stock Samsung Player. Since I am reading a lot of books and surfing a lot on my phone, the now only noticed player controls on the notification bar works awesome. Anybody know of another music player that has controls on the notification bar? Other players only put a shortcut there to opening the now playing screen.

Upvote 0
If you're after top-notch sound quality, go with PowerAmp.

PowerAmp has the best DSP of any player I've tried. I can't always lug around my stereo headset, so I'll often listen to my music on cheap ear buds (not the in-ear kind) and they sound absolutely terrible on every player but PowerAmp. PowerAmp improves the sound quality tenfold. The Bass/Treble controls actually work (and very well at that). It has a 10 band EQ as well as crossfeed and replay gain. It also supports every possible file type.

The next best thing is PlayerPro. Sound quality doesn't measure up to PowerAmp, but it has an excellent file browsing system. It's also skinnable.

Upvote 0
I keep trying new ones, but always end up going back to Cubed I switch between cubed and morphed themes, both look great. Has equalizer, but I find default has great sound. Finds art, very easy to replace if it gets a couple wrong (just long press and several alternatives show up). Has one of the best widgets of any I've tried.

Poweramp is the best if you want to pay, it's rating is .1 higher than Cubed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones