1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

The BIG 2.1 Thread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by andrew53517, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Del

Del Newbie

Not really...though some people have stated that they had problems with the keyboard opening after they removed the protective film from the back of the screen.

I agree with you though, I think it's nice to be able to open it up and get to work straight away.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. radikal

radikal Android Expert

Question on the update, if i have deleted amazon mp3 will it work, heard that deleting stock apps will mess with future updates... ideas?

3. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA

Your fine with flashing any of these custom ROM's. It is only the stock updates then can cause problems.

4. radikal

radikal Android Expert

so just to verify it will not mess up if i put 2.1 due to deleted stock apps? I am nervous you understand :)

5. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA

Yes, you are golden, a-ok, fine, good to go.

6. radikal

radikal Android Expert

thanks, woo, i may still do it soon, i have win 7 and i installed ubuntu on my wifes pc but we have a bad HD on it! so it will happen one day haha

7. dja1980

dja1980 Well-Known Member

I just did a NANDROID restore from Greek's 2.1R1 straight to humancyborg's release. GPS appeared to be turned on after the install, but there is a major delay in trying to get GPS lock. Google Latitude doesn't appear to be working at all with cell towers. In fact, today it went 9 hours without updating my location before I forced it with GPS. I can normally get the GPS to lock, but I have to keep Maps open for 5+ minutes for it to take hold. My Weather Widgets is currently displaying a town 70 miles from my current location (where I was 3 hours ago). Maybe I should try factory reset and install again?

8. cdodge

cdodge Android Enthusiast

I did a factory data set first thing. I came from greeks v4 rom. GPS has worked great for me however I do have the issue where the batter will not charge past 60% via USB.

I know its a lot of work but I would try the factory reset before giving up on the ROM. keep us posted on your results

9. dja1980

Sounds good... I might have some time tomorrow evening. Do you use Latitude, and if so, is your location updating ok via cell tower? To do the factory reset, can I simply choose that option from my current settings? Or, do I have to NANDROID restore back to 2.0.1 first... then do the factory reset... then do the NANDROID restore to humancyborg 2.1?

10. cdodge

cdodge Android Enthusiast

All I did right after restoring was went to Settings>Privacy settings> Factory Data reset

i do use latitude and have not had any issues with it. I also use weatherbug, shop savvy, movies, all with no GPS issues.

not 100% sure about if its using the cell towers but i have had no issues and i get super fast locks.

11. Fadelight

Fadelight Android Expert

Try downloading an app called "GPS Tracker". It is made by instamapper, and it will tell you how accurate your gps is. It will give you a much better idea of what is going on.

My GPS works fine with both of the 2.1 releases. I use it for work.

12. tjrocks91

tjrocks91 Newbie

any word of how the 2.1 experience is from Eugene's 2.1 update.zip?

stable? bugs? anything bad? greek or humancyborg or eugene?

13. BigMace23

BigMace23 Well-Known Member

Just got 2.1 up and running and i'm very happy with it. I have one question though... whenever i do a nandroid restore to a different version of 2.1, do I have to rewipe my phone, or can I just do the restore?

14. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA

Turn on GPS but also remember to turn on Use Wireless Networks, I just did that because the weather apps weren't finding my location and now it works fine. Also when switching different 2.1 releases from diferent dev's you should wipe to be safe. With the G1 we ALWAYS wiped unless we were just doing a update (like from cyan 4.2.1 to cyan 4.2.2).

Fade and Fabo - You guys using humancyborg or greek? I have been using humancyborg's since he put it out and haven't had any reboots or FC's, only get lag when using the animated walls. One thing I have noticed is that I sometimes have to hit the power button twice to wake up, but other then that it's been good.

15. dja1980

I performed the factory reset this morning, and all seems to be good now with the GPS and cell tower updates on Latitude... thanks for the advice!

16. BigMace23

BigMace23 Well-Known Member

Ok I have one more question... the version of HC's 2.1 I put on my phone doesn't have su permission. So if i were to change it to a different release, would i have to reroot my droid, and if so, would I do it the same way as when I was on 2.0.1? Thanks

17. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA

Your all set to change releases since that is done from recovery.

18. Kirch21

Kirch21 Android Enthusiast

I have been running humancyborg realease for about 3 days now. Its been great! GPS is fine. No nexus live wallpaper but the clouds one is fine fr me if i change the settings. I have better bettery life than before and a different music app than before. It runs just as good as my 2.0.1 so far!

19. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA

Same here, I haven't had any real problems with it. I tried the new 2.1 ROM with the multi touch browser but the brightness can't be adjusted and it kills my battery being at 100% all day.

20. dja1980

I've had a few reboots with the humancyborg release (actually one just a few minutes ago), but now that I've got the GPS issue fixed, I'm pretty happy with it. Greek's V1 was MY most stable 2.1 release so far, but I'm willing to give up a little stability for the backlit keyboard and Live Wallpapers.

21. messenger13

messenger13 Android Expert

I've tried Greek's and Humancyborg's versions of 2.1 ... but today, I'm going back to 2.0.1. Neither of these ROMs are stable enough for my taste. :(

22. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA

Maybe I am the luckiest guy here but I have yet to get a single reboot from any 2.1 ROM I've used and the stability of them has been superb. My only complaints have been the keyboard backlight and the lag with live walls but I use normal wallpaper anyway.

23. ssantan2

ssantan2 Android Enthusiast

ditto, I am using HC 2.1, no reboots or problems yet. Although my keyboard backlight is sporadic

24. Fadelight

Fadelight Android Expert

I'm back to the Greek 2.1 release now... using their temporary fix for the keyboard, and it is working near flawlessly at the moment. So... no, you aren't the only lucky one here. ;)

From the way I am seeing it, anyone who was using one of the releases that they've patched themselves, nothing seems to be going too wrong.

25. msjablon

msjablon Newbie

Anyone know when the OFFICIAL Release from Verizon for the Droid might be Pushed OTA?

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews