• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The BIG 2.1 Thread

I find it more and more entertaining at the people who seem to think more fancy UI effects make the product better. Maybe its because I'm a developer and prefer functionality over looks (and I don't own anything apple). I just know when you add more glittery effects, you sacrafice performance.
Yeah, I agree. I never rate something by how it looks, especially women :D

Upvote 0
I would like to know why people seem to think that functionality and "prettiness" can't happen together? Its like a lot of people in this thread seem to think it has to be one or the other. Are you saying that Google can't do both at the same time? An ugly, poorly designed UI can cause just as many problems as minimal functionality does.

Upvote 0
Cant wait to get the 2.1 update over to my Droid. Lots of new enhancements coming from what all I have seen so far.

My one still big complaint is lack of a conduit to sync with Outlook. Coming from BB and a corporate IT background, I have grown dependent on Outlook and its functions. A conduit, I would think, should not be that difficult to develop. Not something that is going to make me turn in my Droid for the Storm II I was originally considering, but just a speed bump.

ALL HAIL DDDRRROOOIIIDDD!

Upvote 0
Cant wait to get the 2.1 update over to my Droid. Lots of new enhancements coming from what all I have seen so far.

My one still big complaint is lack of a conduit to sync with Outlook. Coming from BB and a corporate IT background, I have grown dependent on Outlook and its functions. A conduit, I would think, should not be that difficult to develop. Not something that is going to make me turn in my Droid for the Storm II I was originally considering, but just a speed bump.

ALL HAIL DDDRRROOOIIIDDD!

I use the Calendar sync from Google to sync my outlook with my GMail calendar.

Google Sync services

Getting started with Google Calendar Sync - Google Calendar Help

Upvote 0
IF 2.1 is not officially released to the DROID. How would I be able to install it? I have been holding out on getting a Droid until January. Googles new phone may be released then, and I would really want the latest OS. However I really do not want TMO and no physical keyboard (I like it for games). Droid would be a slam dunk as long as we will be able to run 2.1.

Sorry for the noob questions, I am just not into this techy stuff like a lot of you :) Thanks for any replies.

Upvote 0
I use the Calendar sync from Google to sync my outlook with my GMail calendar.

Google Sync services

Getting started with Google Calendar Sync - Google Calendar Help

Yes, I am currently running Sync with my outlook. sorry, I didnt specify before but I am wanting integration with my contacts, whereas Sync is purely calendar based. I would like to see a complete solution integrating Outlook with the Droid rather than just a selective component.

But thank you for the heads up. I am definitely going to look into some of the Sync options a little closer. ;)

Upvote 0
Yes, I am currently running Sync with my outlook. sorry, I didnt specify before but I am wanting integration with my contacts, whereas Sync is purely calendar based. I would like to see a complete solution integrating Outlook with the Droid rather than just a selective component.

But thank you for the heads up. I am definitely going to look into some of the Sync options a little closer. ;)

Yeah I came from BB, so I was used to Desktop Manager, that would be nice.

Upvote 0
it would depend if the update breaks the DROID or not. If the changes cause issues on the DROID but not on the Nexus One (or other 2.1 phones), then it's up to Motorola to fix the issues.

Google Experience phones receive vanilla Android, and receive OTA updates from Google. Android is made to be compatible with all devices (be it computer/phone whatever) and is not tailored to any system specs. The Droid is definitely getting 2.1 (and no I haven't seen it, I'm not sure if its the same OS thats floating around on the net) but I received a direct "Yes" answer from someone who has first hand knowledge that the Droid will for sure be running 2.1 in a little over 30 days. I was going to root my Droid to install the 2.1 beta thats floating around, but I'll just wait now.

Upvote 0
The eye-candy will sell some phones, but what 2.1 really needs to have is smooth home screen scrolling (especially now w/support for more screens included), support for hands-free BT voice dialing, and full Outlook exchange integration, including PIN lock, wipe, etc. That would be a 'big' update...I'd take the latter two improvements and skip the first if I had to choose.

Pretty is nice - functional is necessary.

Upvote 0
I was in a Verizon store the other day...I had to pick up a charging cable. Anyway, I was speaking to the rep about how I liked my phone, and how the update to 2.0.1 seemed to be a nice improvement and he said, "Wait until January when the Droid gets 2.1".

Take that for what it is, but it appears that their reps already know that the Moto Droid is getting 2.1 OTA in January.

Upvote 0
I was in a Verizon store the other day...I had to pick up a charging cable. Anyway, I was speaking to the rep about how I liked my phone, and how the update to 2.0.1 seemed to be a nice improvement and he said, "Wait until January when the Droid gets 2.1".

Take that for what it is, but it appears that their reps already know that the Moto Droid is getting 2.1 OTA in January.

Which VZW were you at by chance?

Upvote 0
Verizon reps generally cannot be counted on for reliability...they have nor eal first hand knowledge more so than anyone who follows these websites but either way he is probably right. Oh and Redflea...how do we know that they will not have smoothed out everything in the OS such as homescreen scrolling?

The person I received confirmation from does not work for Verizon.

Upvote 0
I would like to know why people seem to think that functionality and "prettiness" can't happen together? Its like a lot of people in this thread seem to think it has to be one or the other. Are you saying that Google can't do both at the same time? An ugly, poorly designed UI can cause just as many problems as minimal functionality does.

Well you have a point, but I think the point everyone else is trying to make is that if you add shiny UI effects that don't serve any purpose besides to look nice, you're just bogging down the system. Like the animated background, or 3d app drawer. It's overdoing it on the visuals and it will end up slowing the phone down overall.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones