• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The BIG 2.1 Thread

Attachments

• LeopardRevisited_green.jpg
    LeopardRevisited_green.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 99
Upvote 0
Anyone tried any home replacements with this?

I wanted to try the new stuff, but I use home++ for the toolbar and more important the lack of taskbar. GDE would be cool though too.

But it seems like I may lose a lot of the benefits of 2.1 if I use one, is this true? Because some of the major points seem to be the app drawer, the cards, the snappier home. Does the speed translate or is it useless to get this if you use GDE/Home++?

Upvote 0
Yes you will, but the new OTA won't be able to be rooted the same way so your gonna have to wait for another exploit to be found which could take quite a while.

thanks, quick question though. I saw that you got 2.1 working with pretty much everything from another thread, was wondering if home screen switching is alot less laggy because thats the only thing that has been bugging me with 2.0 (also really like the look of 2.1) and if so would you recommend flashing to 2.1 then?

Upvote 0
thanks, quick question though. I saw that you got 2.1 working with pretty much everything from another thread, was wondering if home screen switching is alot less laggy because thats the only thing that has been bugging me with 2.0 (also really like the look of 2.1) and if so would you recommend flashing to 2.1 then?

2.1 is coming to the Droid in late January...unless you have other needs to root, makes more sense to wait until the actual release for the Droid.

Upvote 0
Everything you see in a home replacement app is developed separately from the stock home app. Changes made to the stock home app will never change the way a home replacement app works unless the replacement app was programed to do so.

If you want the features found in the stock app like the new app drawer and the preview cards etc, you must use the stock app.

I wondering if the 2.1 has a faster loading camera, that's a upgrade we could all use regardless of what home app we choose.

Upvote 0
Congrats on running 2.1. :)

Can you do what no one else has yet done, and confirm whether the 2.1 version you have installed fixes any of the issues that have been talked about since the Droid came out?

- Does bluetooth voice dialing from the headset work (e.g., "call Tom Smith" spoken into headset launches voice dialing on the Droid)?
- Can you edit content of forwarded emails?
- Can you attach files other than pictures to emails?
- Can you choose what email account you want to send emails from?
- Night-mode Navigation?
- Does the browser lag that's appeared since 2.01 still exist?
- Does Exchange sync include remote wipe, PIN lock, etc. (Not sure how you'd confirm this unless you are using exchange, unless there are new options listed in settings that identify any new features.

Appreciate anything you can do to confirm what functional improvements 2.1 brings. There have been many posts on the 2.1 eye candy, but few substantive comments on what's different/better under the hood.

Upvote 0
I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting frustrated by the lack of info on what (if any) substantive changes/improvements in functionality are in 2.1. I've seen repeated posts/videos on animations, home screens, app tray, but nothing on any of the issues w/2.0 and 2.01 that have been discussed on forums, like BT voice dialing, email attachments, browser lag, etc.

I googled 2.1 features and didn't find anything useful.

Has anyone seen a thread/post/blog w/any real details on 2.1? More than "Oh cool, look at the pretty animations!" ;)

Thanks...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones