• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Big Day is upon us!!

cabbie

Android Expert
Mar 23, 2010
I will be glued to the web for tomorrow's EVO event. Any word about a live broadcast or anything?

I'm done with the semester, took a couple days off work and have plenty of beer. After the letdown last month, I put my hopes for a great media day for EVO!

2rgykd3.jpg
2rgykd3.jpg

v8ef78.jpg

At this point I am more concerned with what they say about plan pricing and hot spot pricing. I was shocked to see the Evo price plan was required.

It is all rumor at this point. Dan Hesse said himself that there would be no increase in cost to use 4G. I think the wording on the slides that have floated around is just confusing.

I would put money on it that we will only see an extra fee if we want the hotspot capability. But the phone itself will work on the current unlimited data plans.

Upvote 0
I finally got a chance to play with a live HD2 and all I can say is WOW! It's all about the screen size. I also played with an Incredible and similar to my experience with the Nexus One I was not overly impressed compared to my Hero. The Evo's screen is now my #1 reason for wanting the phone, watching a movie on the HD2 was like watching a movie on my laptop. Please Sprint sell this phone for $199 and don't increase plan cost and I think you will have excellent results.

Upvote 0
I finally got a chance to play with a live HD2 and all I can say is WOW! It's all about the screen size. I also played with an Incredible and similar to my experience with the Nexus One I was not overly impressed compared to my Hero. The Evo's screen is now my #1 reason for wanting the phone, watching a movie on the HD2 was like watching a movie on my laptop. Please Sprint sell this phone for $199 and don't increase plan cost and I think you will have excellent results.

I've been into a local TMo shop to try the HD2 to get a feel for the size of Evo. I thought I'd be concerned about it, but I wasn't. It's taller and wider than my other phones and devices, but it's also thinner.

It's pocket-able even if not pocket-friendly.

But like you said, that screen just made everything else in the store look so miniature. And it made the need for a keyboard (which I like but don't prefer) completely go unnoticed. It a lot of ways it reminded me of a Sony UX-80 PDA with just the screen only portion had the keyboard been detached.

Netbook/iPad and other "not quite a PC" devices will get crossed off my list as I truly think I'll be able to just carry phone 90% of the time and laptop when I need it the other 10%.

Have to admit I'll be using my bluetooth headset most of time though because the only downside to the size was it looks a little goofy next to my head. Makes my head look as big as it is so I won't let this thing bring the extra attention unless absolutely necessary.

Upvote 0
I've been into a local TMo shop to try the HD2 to get a feel for the size of Evo. I thought I'd be concerned about it, but I wasn't. It's taller and wider than my other phones and devices, but it's also thinner.

Haha, I did that do... I felt bad for the T-Mobile sales representatives trying to sell me the HD2 when I'm really just picturing it as the EVO 4G :D

Funny thing is that the absolute #1 selling point that they kept pushing OVER AND OVER was that the HD2 came with a copy of the original IronMan pre-loaded!!!:rolleyes: I pulled out my TouchPro and showed her the copy I already had loaded on my phone ;)

Upvote 0
Haha, I did that do... I felt bad for the T-Mobile sales representatives trying to sell me the HD2 when I'm really just picturing it as the EVO 4G :D

Funny thing is that the absolute #1 selling point that they kept pushing OVER AND OVER was that the HD2 came with a copy of the original IronMan pre-loaded!!!:rolleyes: I pulled out my TouchPro and showed her the copy I already had loaded on my phone ;)

The TMo reps at my store never even approached me on one trip (store had 2 customers and 4 employees when I was there). I played with the phone for 10 mins with not one sales pitch. On the second trip, a rep approached me to tell me she liked the phone but wouldn't recommend it because of WinMo 6.5 (I told her I already knew it wouldn't be updated to WPS7). They had Transformers loaded on the HD2, but they didn't have it playing which would have been the best way to draw people in.

At BB, they refused to even take the phone out of the behind-desk display so that put them off the list of places I'd buy from.

Upvote 0
rebella in the main thread has said the Evo will need its own plan code or something similar to how blackberries work on Sprint, but they'll still use the simple everything plans.

I wish I'd have read this 10 min ago. I posted essentially the same thing on the main thread.

The EVO codes are internal only, and means nothing to end users of the phone.

Upvote 0
At this point I'm worried that people are going to be disappointed with what happens. It is only SPECULATION that we'll get Evo info tonight. Just like the April 16th thing - that was all pure speculation. Do I think that Sprint needs to at least trickle some info out? Absolutely - but who knows if they actually will.

Same here, I'm hoping for some news, but not expecting anything too earth-shattering. I've been hyped up for the EVO (Supersonic) since early February when rumblings first came around, so I can stand to wait a while longer.

Good thing the OP said he has beer ready to drink, it'll work in either a joyful or depressing situation ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones