• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Big List of Home Launchers - June 8, 2013

So as of right now, I've tried a lot of these, though not all of them by far. And the one that seems the best to me in terms of smooth operation, lack of errors, and decent options is Go Launcher EX. It's just plain comfortable. There are lots of them that are different and really, really cool, but the more unique they are, the more they seem like they have issues and limitations.

Upvote 0
Funnily enough, I used the stock launcher for about a year before I realized there were different ones out there.....I just never looked.

Since then, I have tried LPP and Go Launcher EX....have to say Go Launcher is my favourite.
Scrolling dock, folders, lots of cool widgets and really easy to use!

Can't go wrong with Go Launcher

Upvote 0
Wow, really nice of you to make this list.

Thank you very much!

ps: Launcher pro gets my vote!

ps2: I have a stock Galaxy S running Touchwiz.. If I use a custom launcher, will my phone run touchwiz AND the other one?

When you tap your home key, and you have multiple home launcher options, a window will pop up asking which launcher you'd like to use. You can also choose which one will be default there. If you want to change your default, the only way I've found is removing the current default or installing a new home launcher, though there's probably a proper way that I haven't figured out yet. I usually keep multiple launchers on my phone, and use Home Chooser Flow to select the one I want to use.

Upvote 0
If I change to ICS app, can I switch back and forth between old and new home screens? If so how do you do it? I downloaded ICS app, but couldn't get back to original home without uninstalling the app.

Settings -> applications -> manage applications -> touch on your launcher, then touch clear defaults. Then the next time you hit the home button you should get a choice again.

On some phones that doesn't work and you will need to install an app like "home switcher"

Reactions: Scur
Upvote 0
When you tap your home key, and you have multiple home launcher options, a window will pop up asking which launcher you'd like to use. You can also choose which one will be default there. If you want to change your default, the only way I've found is removing the current default or installing a new home launcher, though there's probably a proper way that I haven't figured out yet. I usually keep multiple launchers on my phone, and use Home Chooser Flow to select the one I want to use.
I don't think you understood.

I read somewhere that my phone will load both TouchWiz AND the custom launcher that I apply, thus using more power.

Upvote 0
I read somewhere that my phone will load both TouchWiz AND the custom launcher that I apply, thus using more power.
You got bad information. The statement doesn't even make sense. But don't take my word for it... see for youself. Go to Settings > Applications > Manage applications, tap on Running, and scroll through the list. Only the currently running launcher will appear in the list.

Upvote 0
You got bad information. The statement doesn't even make sense. But don't take my word for it... see for youself. Go to Settings > Applications > Manage applications, tap on Running, and scroll through the list. Only the currently running launcher will appear in the list.
I'm on Tw and it isn't showing in that list. :thinking:

And why is SNS service always restarting?

Upvote 0
I don't think you understood.

If you have any widgets (not shortcuts) on your stock launcher that automatically update themselves, they will consume some power and possibly data while you are using another launcher. By simply removing those widgets you won't have that problem.

Having multiple launchers in and of itself does not use any more power. It's more about what you have on those launchers.

Upvote 0
You didn't understand, still.

I read somewhere that my phone (which is stock, not rooted) will ALWAYS load TouchWiz, despite the fact that I may use another launcher.

So it will load Tw + the launcher I'm using. So running two interfaces might result in poor battery life because it will be running duplicate services.

I just wanted to know if that is true.

Upvote 0
You didn't understand, still.

I read somewhere that my phone (which is stock, not rooted) will ALWAYS load TouchWiz, despite the fact that I may use another launcher.

So it will load Tw + the launcher I'm using. So running two interfaces might result in poor battery life because it will be running duplicate services.

Only you can verify this w/your particular phone.

If you are opting to use only one launcher,& it's an aftermarket launcher,download an app such as HOMESMACK,LAUNCHER SWITCHER,etc... & select the launcher that you want as the default launcher.

But,before you do this,do as URSUS stated above & wipe all shortcuts & widgets away from TOUCH WIZ.

Then,go into your SETTINGS > ABOUT PHONE >BATTERY USE & see if TOUCH WIZ is using any power or not.

On most phones,only the launcher in use consumes power,unless widgets were left running on the idled launcher,but,only you can verify this w/your individual phone,whichever model you may be using.

BTW,what phone are you using?

Upvote 0

Already asked and answered in my earlier post, which you responded to. I just disabled the default (Zeam) on my phone and ran the test that I recommended you try. It was just as I said... when running TouchWiz, under Running applications it shows TWLauncher as the only launcher. When I switch to Zeam, it shows Zeam as the only running launcher.

As for SNS service, that is the Social Networking Service.If you are running Facebook, Twitter, or any of that crap, you need it. It is not used by LinkedIN.

Upvote 0
I just tried out Rocket Launcher, and I really like it. Also, I went through the list and tried a bunch of them. Not a fan of most of them, but oh well, it gave me something to do for a half hour/forty-five minutes. Then I found the
different and original
section, and I immediately said to myself, "That's the section for me!" lol. Anyway. Thanks to all who contributed to this list!

Reactions: Scur
Upvote 0
Yeah, I really like Rocket Launcher. Different and original to say the least. I like how the devs really thought outside of the box to come up with something completely new. And the option to stop the music animation in the center finally works. I hope the devs add more options in the preferences, too. But it's the launcher I'm using atm. I switch around a lot, but I keep coming back to this one.

Upvote 0
Actually the only serious problem I have with Rocket Launcher, is sometimes the app drawer takes a little longer to load - but that's usually only right after a fresh boot, then I suppose it caches it. But otherwise, after customizing and messing with settings, it's pretty good. It's simple, too. Tried Go Launcher Ex, liked it for a while, but all the screens, the way you can pack more and more icons into one screen, and the preferences were getting a little out of hand/bloated - I started to get a crowded/overwhelming feeling. Both are still good launchers though. I'll try out this Rocket Launcher awhile longer and see how it pans out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones