1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General The big power test: N64 app

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rushmore, Mar 7, 2011.

1. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    With all of the perceived delays and other devices looming, a big issue for me is the actual power of the device. For a lot of folks, it will not matter, but I play more games and watch more vids on my phone, due to travel and waiting around.

The new N64 app is a great test for the power of a chipset. The app plays some games well on the Incredible (overclocked) and Droid X (not overclocked) like Mario 64, Puzzle Bobble and Starfox, but plays most games stuttery or just flat-out slow (Beetle Racing, Wave Racer, Downhill Racing, NFL Blitz are examples).

On my gTablet, every game that works, plays very smoothly. Stunningly so. The N64 app will be my app of choice to test how powerful the newer Snapdragon really is.

Kind of torn between getting a 4G unlimited locked into my account (assuming can happen), or gambling on that being extended and waiting for the Bionic that has the same chipset as the gTablet.

If 4G is unlimited and no strings attached, plus N64 plays smoothly- I will get the TB. If no 4G unlimited and slow N64 performance, I will wait.

Heck, we have waited this long, what is another few months?

added: My Inc is not overclocked much at all (5%), since gets hot enough (65nm chipset, of course it will).

Advertisement

2. Lucidot

Lucidot Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 8, 2010
    Well, I am to the point now where I am probably going to wait on the Bionic. Seeing how it has a better CPU and screen, I think it's the wise thing to do.

I've waited long enough for the TB.

3. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Could easily point out that at 45nm, you could overclock the TB to get better performance, but with a battery that already may be challenged, probably not good to do. Besides, the Tegra 2 is not overclocked and already plays all N64 games tested so far, smoothly.

About three weeks or less to test the TB out. Not holding breath for TB release this week.

4. jayishere

jayishere Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    IT Sales, Best Buy Closing Manager
    Washington, DC
    Is the app optimized for dual core phones/devices? If not...do you really think you'll see much of an improvement?

5. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky

Do not know. The same dev that made the good PSX4All did this app. That app also performs much better on the Tegra 2, but the N64 apps seems more significant of a difference.

N64 is nicer IMO, since less space taken up by games :)

6. jayishere

jayishere Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Washington, DC
    See the interests me because I saw this app was released and absolutely plan on getting it on my phone. Hopefully it runs nice and smooth, I had a pretty big library and would want as many of the games that I owned to run on my TB

7. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Pending a test on the TB, all I know so far is the app is slow on the Inc and Droid X, save for a few games that are smooth. Fantastic app on the gTablet with Tegra 2 :)

8. jayishere

jayishere Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Washington, DC
    With the videos of the TB's speed, I could see it being smooth, but I guess we'll all just have to wait until the device is in our hands.

9. dguy

dguy Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Male
    This reply is going to be just a drop in the bucket due to the number of people who have this kind of thought stuck in their heads but I figure I'll try and correct it anyway.

The Tegra 2 is a dual core processor. That said, each of the 1Ghz processors in the Tegra 2 is faster than every other mobile processor on the market. Whether an application takes advantage of dual core or not, the Tegra 2 will perform better than a second gen snapdragon or a hummingbird.

As for the dual core issue itself. The main app you are using does not have to take advantage of dual core for dual core to make a difference in performance. You are running android. You probably have numerous apps running in the background. If you are on a dual core, the game will run on one core and the rest of the apps will run on the second core. The result is the game runs smoother because it gets a full processor to itself. This is automatic and already happens on every Tegra 2(and multi-core) device.

Lucidot likes this.
  10. jayishere

jayishere Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Washington, DC
    But yet, if the app, and to that effect the operating system were optimized for dual core, you'd see an even greater jump in performance, now wouldn't you?

11. oBIGTo

oBIGTo Well-Known Member
    None

May 14, 2010
    Its a 64 bit game system! I should run like butter!

12. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    All I know is this:

PSX and especially N64 play amazing on my gTablet. On the Inc and Droid X, the PSX app plays pretty good with quite a few roms, but only a small number do with N64 (slooow and stuttery). I use Advanced task Manager to zap apps before running either app.

Both apps are amazing on gTablet. Easily twice as fast for N64, but I am not attributing that to assuming dual cores equating to 2X. My understanding of a portable dual core and desktop/laptop is that they do not have exactly the same function.

added:

Whatever the case, the TB will have to be a pretty huge step up to double the Inc and Droid X.