• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Big Question: $799 or $599 with 2 year contract?

What plan are you getting?

• XOOM - 799 w/ no contract

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • XOOM - 599 w/ $20 1 GB data plan

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • XOOM - 599 w/ $35 3 GB data plan

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Xoom - 599 w/ $50 5 GB data plan

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Xoom - 599 w/ $80 10 GB data plan

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I'm waiting for the Wi-Fi version

Votes: 9 19.1%

• Total voters
Just an FYI i called verizon about by corp discount. Was told by customer support/ billing that the discount i receive on my plan for my smartphone doesnt apply to a tablets data plan. You may want call before you assume yours does as well.

For me I do not care (not the reason I am wanting to be on corp) as work is willing to pay. If we can save $3-4 a month, great. Just do not want have to pay, and really wanting to get at $600. Makes the purchase feel like it is a WiFi only when company paying the month to month. :D

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
So what I've heard through the grape vine (a friend of mine that works for Verizon) is that the 4G plans won't cost more. Idk how true this is given the current market trend, but he pointed out to me that the current pricing for LTE is the same as it is for 3G (i.e. 5GB for $50 and 10GB for $80). He then said that LTE is more cost efficient than 3G, thus the company will likely not raise prices once it's all out in the summer.

Idk how much of this is true, and if he knows what he is talking about, but looking at the current 3G vs 4G pricing, this isn't entirely not true, and if true, this would be nice. I only plan on getting the 1GB (and I'm still debating if I want the 24 month commitment), but if 4G won't cost me more, then I'm likely to go with it.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
Is it possible to "pre-pay" for the data plan? Here is why I ask. My company is buying me a Xoom to use. They are willing to pay $800 + tax + 1st mo data + activation. I would have the option of paying for the data myself after the 1st month, but since I am primarily supposed to use it for work and we have wifi there, I will be expected to use wifi instead of 3G. Now that there is a $600 option on the table with 2 year agreement for data with my 22% discount that would be $374 for data. That puts me over the $800 price tag by $174. Can I pre-pay that amount out of my own pocket (breaks down to $7.25/mo.) to have 3G/4G if I opt to get the device? BTW, I am paying for it out of my pocket, but expensing it for reimbursement. The company would not know (nor want to know) if I opted to do this. They have allocated a certain dollar amount for this purchase. They could care less how I handle it. So . . . anyone know if I can pre-pay for the data plan or if it MUST be billed month to month under contract?

Upvote 0
Is it possible to "pre-pay" for the data plan? Here is why I ask. My company is buying me a Xoom to use. They are willing to pay $800 + tax + 1st mo data + activation. I would have the option of paying for the data myself after the 1st month, but since I am primarily supposed to use it for work and we have wifi there, I will be expected to use wifi instead of 3G. Now that there is a $600 option on the table with 2 year agreement for data with my 22% discount that would be $374 for data. That puts me over the $800 price tag by $174. Can I pre-pay that amount out of my own pocket (breaks down to $7.25/mo.) to have 3G/4G if I opt to get the device? BTW, I am paying for it out of my pocket, but expensing it for reimbursement. The company would not know (nor want to know) if I opted to do this. They have allocated a certain dollar amount for this purchase. They could care less how I handle it. So . . . anyone know if I can pre-pay for the data plan or if it MUST be billed month to month under contract?

I don't think so, because Verizon wants to make sure they get your money for overages, which to that I'm sure you are thinking "ok, then bill me if I go over". Verizon charges your month in advance for the access... so in Feb you pay for March (voice, data, text, insurance, etc), as well as any overages and taxes from January. In March you pay for April as well as any overages and taxes from February. At least that's how my bill gets handled, and was handled when I opened my account.

Upvote 0
I called vzw today and they told me that reactivation fees would apply if you suspend monthly service, even off contract. This is obviously bad news for those of us who wanted flexible pay-as-you-go service. Anybody hear differently?

I dont want the contract, but i dont want to get hit with multiple reactivation fees either. might as well get thee contract and subsidized price if they will keep cherry picking from your wallet, at least you know what you are getting

I was told today that everyone pays a 35 dollar activation fee once and only once.

If you pay 799 for the Xoom and then 6 month later decide to activate it for a month because you are traveling you pay 20 dollars plus tax for data, no activation fee again.

Reactions: StreakTheQuad
Upvote 0
This may effect you if you want to Buy on contract from Best Buy.

I got my call from Best Buy as I reserved one earlier today when I realized they only had 5 in stock They informed Verizon has not extended the on contract pricing to Best Buy. So at this point can only be bought off contract for $799. He said it is a Verizon thing and even though they are a Verizon Reseller they cannot sell it at a discount if Verizon does not release it.

He also said this has been very confusing for a launch. So this info might change by tomorrow. Is Verizon being greedy? I am sure they would love not to pay Best Buy commissions or is this just more confusion that will work out tomorrow.

Good grief I was going to buy at Costco, then Best Buy now possibly Verizon.

Realize there are a lot of Best Buy threads here. But mods you might want to let this one stand on its own as it is could be important for anyone wanting to go on contract and get the $599 price. If you feel you need to merge with another thread then please do.

Upvote 0
Have less than 2 hours before I pick up my XOOM and still have no idea on which plan I'm leaning toward. Have WiFi that I plan to use while home and can always use the hotspot feature on my rooted Droid Incredible at other times. Checked on the VW website and I've averaged 2.4 GB of data per month over the past three months but it would be much less on the XOOM. Is it even worth it for me to get a data plan? When LTE is added it would be a shame to have it and not utilize it.

Curious as to what everyone else is doing...

Upvote 0
I am doing the contract.

You are only looking at an additional 280 over the 800, and in the end getting 10 months of free service by getting the subsidized pricing.

Do I think I will use it alot? Hell no, but I sure as hell do not want to be on the road or at a cafe drinking coffee and NOT be able to use the internet to check the blogs/rss feeds/etc.

It is a convenience factor, and for 280 over 2 years I think it is well worth it.

Look at it this way, if you do not get the contract you are still paying for $200 of the $480, you are just not getting anything in return.

P.S. you should be able to increase the plan at any time just like existing contracts.

Upvote 0
After ordering and canceling several times at Wirefly, I decided to order trough Verizon and there overnight delivery this morning. And in the end I chose the month to month, $799.

I travel less thee days, so I can turn it on and off at will. And some reason If I decide to sell, it'll be easier. Probably could have gone wifi only but well, there isn't one yet ;}.

Can't wait though.

Upvote 0
This may effect you if you want to Buy on contract from Best Buy.

I got my call from Best Buy as I reserved one earlier today when I realized they only had 5 in stock They informed Verizon has not extended the on contract pricing to Best Buy. So at this point can only be bought off contract for $799. He said it is a Verizon thing and even though they are a Verizon Reseller they cannot sell it at a discount if Verizon does not release it.

He also said this has been very confusing for a launch. So this info might change by tomorrow. Is Verizon being greedy? I am sure they would love not to pay Best Buy commissions or is this just more confusion that will work out tomorrow.

Good grief I was going to buy at Costco, then Best Buy now possibly Verizon.

Realize there are a lot of Best Buy threads here. But mods you might want to let this one stand on its own as it is could be important for anyone wanting to go on contract and get the $599 price. If you feel you need to merge with another thread then please do.

Depends on who you talk to, I use to work at the store so I know the mobile manager, she let me play with their model while she looked into it.

She then gave me her word she would match the $600 with the 2 year contract for me.

So yeah, I am good ;)

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
You know what it doesn't even matter, buy it outright or on contract, still gotta get at least one month of service right? So get it for $600, pay a couple of months then when 4g is set to go, if they try and up charge you for the faster data, opt out and have a xoom for less than outright, well depending on when 4g launches. If they don't change the price, keep it, 4g for $20 a motnh, yeah that's nice. Oh well, we'll see how it goes, for now I'm just sick to death of this laptop already!! I want my freaking XOOM, I mean c'mon, I already paid for it,they are in stores now, JUST GIVE IT TO ME ALREADY!!

They have already announced 4g will be the same price as 3g so no contract opting out.

You are getting 10 months of service for free if you do go with the contract though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones