1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

The Big Question: Wait or Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by ArmageddonX, May 24, 2011.

1. ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX Android Expert

Wait or Upgrade?

So my big question over the last couple days has been; how do you know when to make the leap to a new phone?

When do you know it's the right time to take the leap to an upgrade? If you have a working Smartphone you can in-theory wait forever for a new device.

I've been told if you keep waiting for the newest, fastest, phone that you will for sure be waiting forever. I've also been told: Why upgrade now when you can get a newer phone in a few months?

When do you, personally, decide it's time to take a leap to upgrade; and be content with your new phone? Or are you always waiting for that new Smartphone over the horizon? What do you think?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. For me personally I made a check list.
    -Duel Core Processor. I would love to see if I can get the magical 1.5ghz before the cap is implemented.
    -1 gig ram minimum. I say this jokingly because the D1 is inferior to all phones in today's market.
    -Unlockable Boat Loader. duh
    -Physical Keyboard. Although it is coming to the time where I may chance it with a V-Keyboard.

3. rocknevious

rocknevious Newbie

That is sometimes a hard line to draw, but I think that much like the process of choosing which device when you do buy a new one, it all comes down to personal taste. Truthfully, if you're fully happy with the phone you have, you don't really need to jump to another phone. If you've got some sort of issue with it [even a small one] and there is a device out now that will suit you better that you can afford, there's decent reason to change devices. There is no solidified rule about when you should or shouldn't upgrade because both arguments lead to an endless cycle.

Ultimately, if you think you're better off waiting for a soon-to-be-released phone then nothing is stopping you from doing that.

4. ninja_reject

ninja_reject Android Enthusiast

I also think it is best to ask yourself if you are satisfied with your currest device. And also, what do you want in a device. I might lust after this new phone or that, but my Inspire is not old at all. I love it to pieces, it meets all my needs. Sometime down the line, it will be nice to have a forward facing camera, but I am ok for now. I'd rather wait until video-chat comes standard anyhow. And I wanna wait till ice cream sandwich is on new devices. I guess a good rule of thumb is to get a year out of your phone at least, unless there is some major problem.

5. Adauth

Adauth Android Expert

I still have my rooted droid 1 running strong, but as soon as the Bionic hits(or whatever its going to be called) i'm snatching that up.

6. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!

Here are some criteria you can use:

1) are there tasks/apps that your current phone is struggling with?
    2a) is the new phone a significant improvement over your current phone?
    2b) are newer phones about to make a leap over the new phone?
    3) are the differences in #2 worth the out-of-pocket $$ you will be spending?

7. xinfinity

xinfinity Lurker

I Jumped for the G2x because of its possibilities. I like to think of it as another G1 that will be upgradeable and tolerable for a long time

8. Fetch Questman

Fetch Questman Well-Known Member

For me, if I am comfortable with something I will stick with it for a long time. I used my G1 for about 30 months. There was no doubt when upgrade time came, the camera lense was broke, some of the keyboard stopped working, it struggled to compute...

So I looked at some phones and made a list of potential choices. Some were currently available (G2), some were coming soon(G2x), some were coming later(HTC Sensation). I mulled over my choices and went with the middle option. But I think everyone will do this according to their own taste and personality.

9. this is half-quoted from someone on this site:

"at the rate that phones are coming out nowadays, next week they will announce a phone with a 5 core processor, 6G, and 4D graphics."

In essence, it doesnt matter how long you wait, something better is going to come out. So just do it.

10. mauiblue

mauiblue Android Enthusiast

When my buddy showed me his new Iphone early last summer, I was hooked on getting a smart phone. I almost got an Iphone but when I saw what android offered, I I wanted to go that route. Looked around a bit and saw the Incredible was just released a few months earlier. It took a while for me to get one because they were sold out but finally got one in July 2010. A few weeks after I got my phone, the Droid X was released. I almost returned my Incredible since I was in the 30 day return period for a Droid X but decided not to. I'm glad I didn't and the Incredible has been great. It's been so good that I can and will wait until more dual core and faster phones comes out. HTC Thunderbolt and Droid Charge has not interested me. I can and will wait as 4G is not available in my area yet. Until I see a phone that has given me the same interest as my Incredible, I'll wait.

11. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert

Base the decision on your requirements and criteria rather than the devices that are available or potentially coming along. Anyone shopping for a device should be doing this already though.

For me, dual cores and LTE have been must-have's. I also have my "nice to have" list that doesn't weigh in as heavily. Determine your needs/wants and prioritize them. It's really like shopping for anything else.

Specific answers to your question are fairly pointless as whether any specific device is worth upgrading to is a highly subjective matter -- otherwise we'd all have the same device. Worth is always highly subjective. Give that, you have to define your requirements clearly if you don't already have a good feel for them. If you can't do so, you'll have problems deciding, obviously.

"Should I wait?" is asked in nearly every thread asking for assistance in selecting a device. If you really have no clue as to what you're looking for then spend some time reading such threads to jog your mind. You may not have the same needs/wants as a given OP asking for assistance but looking at the questions asked of the OP may help t jog your mind for ideas.

12. fattank

fattank Member

Great question! Here are my 'extra' criteria (which hardly differ from novox77's list):

First of all, is it better in nearly every respect? Namely,
    1. Great camera? (1080p record and 3D does it for me)
    2. Killer features current phone doesn't have? (3D, qHD: 45% more pixels on 16:9 [uncropped] video than my crazy old Sammy vibrant -- maybe 120% more if you go for that Pentile 653*392 stuff present in the overhyped samoled -- plus no more blue tinge)
    3. Processor improvement (Dual core processor in this case) -- current generations struggle with multi-tasking
    4. HDMI/HD out
    5. Better build quality.

To summarize:
    A: If it is a NOTICEABLE UPGRADE/IMPROVEMENT in [nearly] EVERY RESPECT
    B: If you can afford it
    C: If it represents a milestone unlikely to incur incidence of A in a threshold time
    D: If ((A + B) / C >= lust_thresh) ;)

13. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert

The biggest question is: can you afford it?

I can afford it, so I'm grabbing myself some Galaxy S2 when it comes to the US.

14. boyo1991

boyo1991 Android Enthusiast

with how quickly technology moves these days i can tell you there is another "latest and greatest" without knowing the details as of right now (google it im sure theres one there) just upgrade... who really cares... itll b outa date in anywhere from a week to a month... at which case u wont b happy with what you got again....