1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

the camera on Inc is horrible

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by familia5az, Feb 4, 2011.

1. familia5az

familia5az Lurker

Unless your in perfect conditions the camera is sup par to most lower quality camera phones. Any recommendations becide getting iPhone?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Android Expert

This is not meant to sound confrontational, but can you elaborate a little bit? "Sub par to most lower quality camera phones" is a pretty strong statement to make considering some of the results in this thread:

http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/72153-you-kidding-me-camera-quality.html

What are you experiencing that is so horrible?

Edit: and I am NO photographer but these were taken with the INC and they look pretty nice to me. I cannot imagine a Blackberry taking pics like this!
    http://androidforums.com/htc-incredible/72153-you-kidding-me-camera-quality-12.html#post1442799

Deleted User, jamor and jj3699 like this.
  3. BombTheSystem

BombTheSystem Newbie

I love my Droid Incredible but I do have to admit the camera is no where near as nice as the one on the Iphone. When ever I want to record something I ask my girlfriend to do it on her Iphone because I know it will come out way better. I have my camera settings for recording to it's highest settings and I don't see much of a difference. The only thing I've seen change is the size in the files that I record and they are ridiculously big and I don't get why judging by the quality it's not even so great. I've also noticed that when a room is dark the camera gets real grainy and it seems to distort the images. The dual LED flash doesn't really seem to make a difference to me the pictures at night come out real bad compared to the Iphones camera. I do have to say though when it comes to pictures the Droid Incredible seems to have more colors and makes pictures during the day look more natural. The camera isn't a big deal for me though I don't rely on this phone to serve me as a camera so it doesn't bother as me as much but I do have to keep it real.

4. airjordan223

airjordan223 Android Enthusiast

have you tried using the screen to take the picture instead of the optical mouse

5. txrxio

txrxio Well-Known Member

My pictures are variable. In good light they come out fantastic, very clear and true colors. In poor light they will often be blurred, dark, or overexposed. I haven't seen many better photos from other phones though. If I want to take good photos I make sure I pack my compact camera with me, if I need to take a shot ASAP then my phone is always with me.

6. Tesloid

Tesloid Lurker

I read that somewhere the other day, but i tried it today and nothing happened. Any tips?

7. euph_22

euph_22 Android Expert

Are you viewing them on a desktop, HTC uses a weird/crappy compression algorithm to scale down the image on the phone. It's alot better on the computer.

8. kenpo

kenpo Newbie

i noticed on a lot of my pics they come out a little blurry. At night time the pics suck. The flash will make alot of the pics very white, just crappy looking. I've went through my settings and tried to change them but that doesn't help. I think it has something to do with the flash, it doesn't seem to be adjusting right. It's giving me a full flash if that makes sense.

9. Medion

Medion Android Expert

I've found that the camera software of Cyanogen(mod) allows for higher quality photos. However, both the iPhone 4 and Samsung Galaxy S do take superior photos despite their lower MP count and smaller aperture size. This is due to software, and HTC isn't as good in this regard (camera software, not overall). Apple has come along way while Samsung has more experience.

So, if you're happy with Android but want a better camera on your phone, look into the Galaxy S line. There's numerous versions/carriers to choose from, but supposedly the Nexus S cannot do 720p video. Outside of Android, the best camera phones seem to be the iPhone and the Nokia N8.

10. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Android Expert

Medion, couldn't have said it better!!

11. tmarr

tmarr Well-Known Member

Not sure if I'd ever call it "horrible." Its not the best, but as far as cell phone cameras go... I'd put it in the top 10-20%

12. cipher6

cipher6 Android Enthusiast

In low light play with the iso settings, I can get real good pictures at night. Also different camera apps work better than others. Motion seems to be what causes the most problems

13. bowerman

bowerman Guest

The iPhone 4 camera is nice, but the Incredible is in second place if you ask me. My girlfriend has the X, and her camera is not even close to as good as mine. Maybe something is wrong with yours.

EDIT: the samsung cameras are very nice also.

14. vasilator

vasilator Well-Known Member

Its an OK camera that was one of the better ones when it came out. The video is very average as well.

The Samsung cameras are truly amazing though (as said earlier). The HD video those things take is fascinating. (Pun intended)

15. ikediggety

ikediggety Well-Known Member

the camera firmware does leave something to be desired.

I will say that I never use the stock camera anymore, i always use vignette for my pictures. the files are even bigger, but it eliminates a lot of the problems from the stock camera app. i recommend at least giving it a shot.

curt_durt likes this.
  16. drdoom

drdoom Android Expert

17. SGRacer

SGRacer Newbie

Lens cover... Wipe it off and try again.

18. MolBasser

MolBasser Well-Known Member

19. masully1984

masully1984 Well-Known Member

Steve Jobs must be so proud :)

20. hrbib21

hrbib21 Android Expert

I like to troll when I'm fishing. Does that count?

But seriously, his second sentence tells you all you need to know, doesn't it?

21. serpentine009

serpentine009 Android Enthusiast

When I want to take a picture of anything worth shooting I use my Canon T1i....when I am out at an event and don't want a big camera I use my Sony point and shoot. When I find that I am without either of those and use my Inc to take pics...I am always impressed with what I get.

22. Stupifier

Stupifier Android Enthusiast

Once I figured out how to use my Dinc Camera correctly, pictures turned out pretty good. It was my primary camera while I on vacation in Hawaii. I think the quality of the below pic is good.

[​IMG]

ImageShack.us

23. DodgerinNH

DodgerinNH Well-Known Member

Any one noticed a blue-ish tint come over the both the stills camera and the video camera just before you go to take picture/start recording? It's been happening all the time to me lately, always on outdoor shots with less than stellar light. The blue tint shows up on the photos unfortunately. Had the phone since launch and it's only started doing this in the last month.

24. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

Dodger, check the white balance in the app(s) you're using. Keep playing with those settings until white shows as white to you. I've often had a problem with digital cameras (whether they be cameras or camera-phones) not 'seeing' white correctly. Often the best fix is to take it off 'auto' and choose a setting yourself.

DodgerinNH likes this.
  25. rsarno

rsarno Thank Me, Im Irish!

In some cases, the camera blows me away

In most cases, it leaves me with useless shots.

I dont know anything about settings, i just want to hit the camera button and snap a photo.

It is usually a case of the flash being too strong, or too weak ... i think.

I dont really care enough to complain about it, and also i realize its phone before a camera.

just thought id contribute to the thread.

HTC Droid Incredible Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible release date was April 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

April 2010
Release Date
Reviews