• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The coaching factor?

jgreetham

May 3, 2010
Hi all,

Our Bama coach, Nick Saban, just extended his contract for 2 more years. He makes more in one year than I'll make in my life! (I have a M.S. in aerospace structural dynamics and have worked hard for 30 yr in my profession.)

The question is: How much does the coach contribute to the winning team? How much is due to the player's natural ability? Do players come to Bama because of the coach or the reputation of the football program? Does the coach earn the salary he gets?

What's sad is it's not the coaches people are willing to shell out big money for, it's the players. But those that mean to profit the most have forbidden college students from making any money. I know some people will argue that they're getting free college tuition and free room and board, but when you consider how much money a school makes from these college athletes and take into account that graduating from these institutions doesn't guarantee you a good paying job, it seems like they're getting a raw deal.

But to answer your question, they probably don't deserve the money they make, but considering the colleges don't compensate their players what they should, they can afford to pay their head coaches a little more than they're actually worth.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones