• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The Crackdown on Tethering Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mentioned this in another thread, but I checked out the twitter of the guy who got busted, and he seems to think it has something to do with going over the 20gig limit. Best advice is to just stop tethering, because who knows what's actually going on at Verizon... but it would seem as though they're just tagging people who go over 20gb. For the moment.

It also seems very strange to me that they'd hit him for $350. That's a pretty hefty fine if they just fined him, and if they went back and charged him for every month he used the tethering, which would be about a year... well that seems a little harsh, even for Verizon.

Upvote 0
Mentioned this in another thread, but I checked out the twitter of the guy who got busted, and he seems to think it has something to do with going over the 20gig limit. Best advice is to just stop tethering, because who knows what's actually going on at Verizon... but it would seem as though they're just tagging people who go over 20gb. For the moment.

It also seems very strange to me that they'd hit him for $350. That's a pretty hefty fine if they just fined him, and if they went back and charged him for every month he used the tethering, which would be about a year... well that seems a little harsh, even for Verizon.

It's not that far out of the realm of possibility. In the past it was $10/mb and even if they did $100/gb which I saw somewhere a while back shooting 3Gb over the 20Gb cap would be pretty easy tethering.

It is all really dependent on how they did the overage charges.

Upvote 0

It seems like they are trying to send a message to all would be tetherers to me.

Upvote 0
It's not that far out of the realm of possibility. In the past it was $10/mb and even if they did $100/gb which I saw somewhere a while back shooting 3Gb over the 20Gb cap would be pretty easy tethering.

It is all really dependent on how they did the overage charges.

Ah, but my response to that would be-- you can tag me for tethering, or you can tag me for data usage, but you can't do both. Either the problem is that I'm tethering, in which case you charge me $30 for the program and my unlimited data kicks in... or you charge me for unauthorized data usage, in which case I pay for the data overages and you can't do anything to my account.

Of course, Verizon may see it differently, but that's what I'd argue (and why $350 and data cancellation still seems strange).

Upvote 0
It seems like they are trying to send a message to all would be tetherers to me.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. Sucks that they're trying to "send a message." A better business would just stop the problem, not make examples of their customers. Isn't that why everyone hates the RIAA now? Instead of spending time trying to find a way to embrace digital distribution, or make better DRM so you can't pirate music... they instead decided to sue the hell out of kids.

Upvote 0
As I said in a different thread about this, I won't believe it until more than 1 person says so. As much as we all love the leaks, P3droid has proven himself to be especially melodramatic in the past. And his non-leak info has also been wrong more often than not.

If Verizon was enforcing anything, we'd have heard by far more than 1 third-hand account of someone getting a bill.

Upvote 0
P3 was very clear STOP Tethering!! But, some don't listen and now they are going to get a surprise. P3 was right I have a friend that confirmed VZ is checking out those high usage user without tethering plan. Watch out!!

I have a "friend" who tells me Verizon will be sending each of us a gold bar in the mail as thank yous for being such loyal customers.

Upvote 0
Well, no data plan is pay per use pricing. 1.99/MB. 20GB = 20 x 1024 = 20480

So 20480 @ 1.99 = $40,755.20

No plan for tethering, and if proven tethering would be pay per use.

I'd rather pay $350 vs the amount above.

where does it say anywhere that overage charges for data is $2 a MB? I know the prices, while still imo too high, are fairly reasonable, ex. $10 for 2 GB.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones