• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The cure for short battery life!

Dan-droid

Sep 21, 2010
Denver
I have solved the problem of short battery life! Pick up a half dozen of these:

Amazon.com: Rapid Travel Home Wall Charger (CLA) for HTC myTouch 3G Slide: Cell Phones & Accessories

I keep one at my desk at work, one at my desk at home, one bedside, I carry one with me in my briefcase, just put them wherever you go throughout the day. I realized a few days ago how stupid it is to tweak the settings and turn off all of the amazing features that make this phone great, just to squeeze a couple extra hours out of my battery. Let's face it, for $.39 each, it's a perfect cure!

Could you please read the amperage rating off the label of the charger. Also the input voltage - this would be useful for people traveling abroad. I am asking about the amperage because I bought a car charger (similar price to this one) and it came with a wall charger too, and I noticed that the wall charger takes longer to fully charge the battery. It is rated at 700 mA, whereas the original HTC charger is 1A, which would explain it. Also, I got the impression that when the phone is fully charged on the 700 mA charger (100% battery, full overnight charge) the battery gets discharged faster during the next day. I might be imagining on this one - my phone was rather new when I tested this, that charger has been sitting in my bag since then, maybe I need to try it again.

Upvote 0
Just a cautionary note here. With some of these cheapo Amazon chargers, the phone will charge but everything else is disabled while it is plugged in. I had one of these I bought for another phone (same output to same USB mini plug), and when my MT4G is plugged in, I can't even unlock it.

I have, however, found that some common generic USB chargers will work with no problems. In fact my Jawbone charger works just fine with my MT4G!

My pair o' coppers.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I've heard that from others grfxguy. That isn't the case with the ones I bought, maybe I got lucky. I just clicked on the amazon link above that I originally posted, and the charger shown isn't even the same one that was there when I posted the link. Maybe they ran out of the ones like I have? I can't personally recommend the ones that are pictured now, so don't send the mob after me if you order from that link and get a bogus charger! hehehe

Upvote 0
Sorry for giving bad advice Dkelz, as I stated before, it seems they ran out of the chargers I bought originally and replaced them with a different charger. I bought 6 of them and every one will charge my MT4G from around 30% to 100% in around an hour. This will teach me not to recommend products I guess.

It's alright, not really a loss to me. Just some change plus shipping and handling, I won't lose any sleep lol

Upvote 0
I always thought Cyanogenmod was the cure. Exactly how well does it work?

Thats silly, fact is IGv1.1.6 is the most robust rom for MT4G in terms of power consumption and performance as the balance even CM7 can't surpass. I know this very extended as I tweaked little bit more as I always do for superior memory and power management. But the stock battery does have its limit when Mugen power 1650mAh is back in stock ill get that which mAh to mAh gives better results regardless of what other folks says compared to Inocell, check out my SS posted here and on XDA regarding those.

Even for 39 cents I wouldn't recommend it.

LOL that last part actually made me laugh.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones