• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help The damn GPS, again

karnka

Android Expert
Feb 15, 2010
Newcastle, England
So, after having to live with GPS that's at best flaky and at worst non-existent for the last three months I've now found something else related Samsung has managed to screw up.

All the photos my phone has taken are geotagged with 0 lat, 0 lon. So, somewhere off the west coast of Africa. Other handsets I've used have tagged with the inexact location (ie cell tower fix) when an accurate location isn't available. I would expect either this or no tag at all.

Maybe while I'm stripping off the tags this evening I'll put in an order for a Desire HD. Thanks Samsung, I'm just about annoyed enough now to no longer care what fixes or updates you may choose to grace us with at some unspecified point in the future.

Ok, that rant may have been a bit over the top but I do feel a little better now!

Yeah, can't blame you much for being somewhat upset about the damn GPS issue. I'm getting to the same point myself....quickly.
It's a real crock the way the SGS can't function anywhere close using GPS. Ok,....well it's close I guess if you consider a 1/4 mile away from your actual location to be 'close'. Ha !
I laugh because the whole GPS issue is unfortunately a bad joke....has been for quite a while...and continues to be.
I think I saw a'fix' for the Vibrant model of the SGS on Verizon in the US.....and I immediately wondered to myself....If they can put out a 'fix' for that one (knockoff) version of the SGS...the why in the hell didn't they put one out for the ORIGINAL (International) SGS which is the one I have.
Also, there are statements being made that a GPS 'fix' will be part of Froyo. Well, what if I don't want to upgrade to Froyo?

Yes, I'm probably just as upset about Sammy's attitude regarding getting a GPS fix out as you are. I mean.....it can't be THAT difficult to write some new code to take care of the GPS problem and then get it the hell out to those of us who paid good money for a damn 'smartphone' that's real DUMB when it comes to giving the correct GPS location ! If other phones can do it...then why in the hell can't this one ?

It's a damn fix that's taking far too long for Sammy to resolve. At last count there are 5 million Galaxy S series units out there in the hands of users. Why can't we get this issue resolved ??? I keep wondering...and it seems there are a lot of other SGS owners wondering and waiting as well.

Upvote 0
Try the HTC Desire.
GPS works flawlessly.
Use mine for satnav & geocaching.
Very accurate.
Good luck with your flimsy SGS.
My flimsy SGS has so far flew across the kitchen workbench and onto a stone floor then in my car turning hard onto my drive it shot out of my passenger car window and bounced along the brick driveway..... Not a mark on it.

So glad it's a flimsy SGS with it's Gorilla Glass and toughened plastic case.

As to GPS..... Come Froyo I wonder what arguments the die-hard HTC fans will be throwing back. @)

Upvote 0
Fine, I know I'm over dramatising recently.

What I should have gotten is a SGS that works, but ho hum.

I'm still seriously considering jumping ship to the DHD, but we will see.
Don't worry.... I fully and completely understand your frustration....
That's why I keep reminding myself of what the SGS has to offer.

... and if truth be told I'm seriously considering getting one anyway for my wife. :)

Upvote 0
I had a play around with an HD2 the other day, just to try and get an idea of what the hardware will be a bit like.

I have to say I did really like it. It felt so solid, almost industrial.*

But yes, totting it up between the DHD and the SGS on a purely hardware front, I won't argue that the SGS wins. I do think the DHD will be more likely to get 3.0 than the SGS and that any issues with the software will be fixed more quickly in future. That's what's tipping the balance.

Edit: Not that I'm agreeing the SGS is flimsy. I did think that a bit at first but it has, as you say, proven very hardy.

Upvote 0
I had a play around with an HD2 the other day, just to try and get an idea of what the hardware will be a bit like.

I have to say I did really like it. It felt so solid, almost industrial.*

But yes, totting it up between the DHD and the SGS on a purely hardware front, I won't argue that the SGS wins. I do think the DHD will be more likely to get 3.0 than the SGS and that any issues with the software will be fixed more quickly in future. That's what's tipping the balance.

Edit: Not that I'm agreeing the SGS is flimsy. I did think that a bit at first but it has, as you say, proven very hardy.

As it happens I have an HD2 and do love it... that's why I've still got it.
However, when comparing the two together it's a no brainer for me.
The screen may be bigger and it's a good test if you want to compare it against the new DHD but it's not a patch on the SGS.

I recently did a test (can't remember which forum or topic it was done in.. could have been xda-devs) which was a video playback comparison between my HD2, my Brothers Desire and my SGS.
The SGS was so far ahead it was chalk and cheese.

With strong talk the DHD is going to have a standard TFT screen instead of a SLCD it makes it easy when you look at the HD2 to realize what the DHD will look like.

Also, I've seen those photo's and video's from the DHD..... Not impressed.

Anyway, sorry guys.... Back on topic. :)

Upvote 0
Yes, back on topic -

GPS, whinge, grumble, complain.

173836.gif
.... Yeah... that's better.

Upvote 0
I've had my SGS since July. I've updated it at every opertunity. Now on XXJPK. Everything has been tweeked as much as possible - mostly thanks to XDA. It's now working extremely well. The only thing that isn't working as it should is the GPS. This is erratic. I have patiently waited for the official 2.2 FROYO. When it finally arrives and there is a very good fix for the GPS I'll be happy. If not then I'll get rid of it straight away. I'll get the HTC Desire. SAMSUNG make some lovely gear. My tele, camera, monitor, home cinema and netbook are all SAMSUNG. What a pity they have such a crap customer support. I for one will never buy another SAMSUNG again if FROYO hasn't sorted out the GPS problem once and for all.

Upvote 0
I've had my SGS since July. I've updated it at every opertunity. Now on XXJPK. Everything has been tweeked as much as possible - mostly thanks to XDA. It's now working extremely well. The only thing that isn't working as it should is the GPS. This is erratic. I have patiently waited for the official 2.2 FROYO. When it finally arrives and there is a very good fix for the GPS I'll be happy. If not then I'll get rid of it straight away. I'll get the HTC Desire. SAMSUNG make some lovely gear. My tele, camera, monitor, home cinema and netbook are all SAMSUNG. What a pity they have such a crap customer support. I for one will never buy another SAMSUNG again if FROYO hasn't sorted out the GPS problem once and for all.

Well,...we all did our bitching, moaning and complaining about how FU this GPS situation is...back in OCTOBER of LAST YEAR....and guess what Sammy has done to rectify the problem....not a damn thing, and here it is almost February 2011. I am even MORE pissed off about this now than I was back last October ! See my posting #2 in this thread....if you wanna know how pissed I was then. Ha !
I did love my SGS when I got it,....and I still like it very much now,....but this lack of support by Samsung has put me off permanently to ever consider buying another product of any kind from them.
They came out with what was supposed to be the Samsung FLAGSHIP model smart-phone. It looked to an awesome device...and then we all found out what a piece of crap it is when it comes to any GPS functioning.
It's pretty well known in the smart-phone world that this was THE problem with this device. And, what did Sammy do about it? NOTHING! What have they done about it to date? NOTHING!
So,.....so much for relying on Sammy to 'do the right' thing for all of us 5 million+ purchasers. They sat on their friggin hands....knowing full well the scope of the problem....and left us high and dry.
So,.....never again Samsung ! You had your chance...and plenty of time to correct this major screw up. You will never see a penny of my money ever again. Oh yeah,....and your KIES software that you force us to use to do upgrades....is absolute CRAP !
Thanks for NOTHING ! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: !

Upvote 0
kind of funny. Our company has a branch in Seoul and got to know several our colleagues in Korea. Samsung has a crappy reputation in Korea. Seems many Koreans try to avoid Samsung products as their is a rumor the products they sell in Korea are defective while the better ones go to US/Europe. My first Samsung product (SGS) and its less than stellar.

Maybe we ought to listen to the natives!!

Also does anyone really believe their sales numbers for SGS and Tab? They tend to inflate. I have been keeping an eye on what people are using (in airplanes, subways, buses and walking on the street) and I dont see alot of SGS or Tabs out there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones