1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root The dangers of rooting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by slappzilla, Jun 15, 2011.

1. slappzilla

slappzilla Member
    None

Feb 28, 2011
    S.E. WI
    I am about to have an experienced tech root my phone for me.

before I do so however, can I be alerted of the dangers?

for what it's worth, I have the best buy warranty that covers everything, minus lost/stolen, so even if things do go bad, I can get a new phone.

Advertisement

2. mattbe213

mattbe213 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 7, 2010
    School
    Missouri
    Dangers of rooting huh? Well, for starters, it can brick. But only if you try something stupid. Like try to flash a zip file that could be a mod as your new ROM. But don't worry about that, because it doesn't happen to people who manage their phone correctly, and read up on ROMs and stuff before they flash them.

Another could be up-keep. You need to backup your ROM every week or so to ensure that you will have a safe and current backup if something just goes wrong. But be careful with your backups, because they are usually a x amount of gigs big. Could vary from 1 to 4 or 5. Mine are usually in the ballpark of 2-3.

That is all I can think of right now. I'm sure someone else will list something that I didn't.

Matt

3. ultradroid

ultradroid So many android phones...
    None

Apr 24, 2010
    Title Insurance Underwriter
    Cleveland, Ohio - the North Coast!
    It almost sounds like you're indifferent to whether the experienced tech you're employing does a good job or not. If he botches the rooting (although, an experienced tech should know what he's doing), your solution is to just turn it in to Best Buy as a warranty claim?

I would NOT follow that procedure, warranty or no warranty - it's just plain *wrong*.

-Mike

4. SaleenFiend

SaleenFiend Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 6, 2010
    Louisiana
    Rooters purposefully attempting to 'brick' a phone have almost been unsuccessful in these advents numerous times. Most of the time a recovery or RUU flash will put you back at square one.

Not necessary to do NANDs so often. Get your Rom set up and test it's functionality... if your satisfied Nand... and you can always return to that Nand later.

5. th3goob

th3goob Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Nanty Glo, PA
    Ive rooted a good 15+ phones and only 1 of those people have had issues and thats because they had 1.5 on their phone, and on my d2g i accidently flashed a d2 rom on it and it soft bricked it but i was still able to recover it.
    With the super 1 click root for the inspire you can probably follow the instructions and root it yourself and get yourself familiar with the lingo and what not.