1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General The "Dark Side" of the A500 (Honeycomb too)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rushmore, May 1, 2011.

1. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    I already posted a review and still seems a fair perspective. Here are the "dark" things that I see, but some are probably more Honeycomb than A500.

1. Power cord. Come on- Flimsy and 3 feet?!? Smallest cord ever and silly, compared to the fine device. (Anyone know of version of this power supply with a longer cord?)

2. Navigation buttons at bottom of the page. It is too easy to hit them by mistake and they take up display real-estate. Kind of like we bought a 9.5" visible display. I miss the hardware buttons. Why is there not a "hide" option for the buttons? Are all Honeycomb devices like this?

3. Wifi seemed as good as the gTablet, but after using the A500 and comparing them more, the A500 loses connection more than the gTablet. It will occasionally cut out and then report not seeing the router, then connect again. This could be a case of the A500 radio not liking my Netgear router. It seems though it is a signal issue, since If I am near the router it does not have the connection issue. I think the issue is the reception is weaker than the gTablet.

4. App scaling. This is due to Honeycomb (and devs not updating), but some apps like TigerArcade, PSX4Droid 1.5 and IGN are tiny windows on the display. TigerArcade REALLY hurts, since for arcade game lovers, it truly has no equal on any portable device.

5. There is no "unmount" option for microsd or USB drives. This seems odd, but probably due to Honeycomb not being designed to have external storage in the first place.

6. Seems I can simply "think" of my fingers and the display will get prints on it. This display is a print magnet.

7. Seems that if you get below 1gb of free space on the internal storage, you can not install any apps. Is this like the "low on space" error for Froyo and lower, except now "Unsuccessfully installed the app"? I thought the Incredible was the only device with "false" errors that prevent app installs? Honeycomb or the A500 firmware seems to have problems too.

BTW, I am joking with the "Dark Side", since the issues are about the only negatives I can find.

On a good note, I have a ton of apps on my A500 and do not have the power bleed issues some report. I can leave the wifi radio on and it will only lose a few percent in sleep mode, over seven hours. Not bad at all.

Advertisement

2. dudeofrude

dudeofrude Member
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    Ive got a feelling that list is going to grow and grow as time goes on. I gave up today ( after 2 weeks of owning my acer) and returned it to the store. I was hoping i could of replaced my pc with a tablet but just wasnt going to happen. Couldnt get a refund as id used it etc so with store credit i managed to get myself a decent spec laptop and an advent vega (just as a toy) and ive gotta say im happy with the choice. Maybe in 6months when android 3 has been updated the bugs have been worked out then ill indulge once more.

3. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Thing is that items 2, 4, 5 and 7 are Honeycomb issues, so probably the same for any tablet. Not the A500, but Android at "fault".

4. gabeyong

gabeyong Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    based on what i read from all your posts a decent laptop suits you best :)

5. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky

Seems the M11X would be perfect. I have one from last year and this years models are even better :) I still think mine rocks :)