1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

The data connectivity problem appears to be region-dependent

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sperho, Dec 26, 2011.

1. sperho

sperho Android Enthusiast

This post was in another Verizon SGN thread:

I had experiences over the holidays that mirror this experience.

I live in the Tri-Cities, TN (Kingsport/Johnson City/Bristol) area and have very good 4G and 3G coverage. I've had the Verizon SGN since 12/16 and I have experienced none of the 4G/3G/noG connectivity problems that many have posted about on these and other forums until I traveled by car with my phone and my wife's OG Droid this weekend. I noticed that in the Nashville, TN area, I could not connect with data reliably at all. Droid showing 3-4 bars of solid 3G connection. I had ok to good bars in CDMA only mode, but routinely 5 to 15 dBm weaker strength than the Droid, but I could make voice calls just fine. I called customer support (while my wife drove :)) and they said that there were not outages in the area at that time. After a battery pull and a CDMA/LTE connection toggle I was able to get the Nexus to latch onto 4G and 3G for a little while, but after about 5 minutes: no data again. Frustrating to say the least. This experiment lasted about 60 miles until I felt the urge to throw the phone out the window. I put it away instead.

Next up, Evansville, IN. Same experience as Nashville. Ugly, ugly, ugly data connectivity (i.e. rarely could get a data connection), while bathed in good 4G and 3G coverage (data would sometimes connect - so I know that it was there). OG Droid: no data problems whatsoever. So, I put the phone away again.

Tonight, back in the Tri-Cities, TN area: no data problems whatsoever (again)!!

While I'm happy that I don't seem to have problems where I live, I do travel a lot and I expect a top shelf smartphone to have top shelf performance. This is not the case for me. I can only find solace that given my good connectivity at home, that the phone hardware is fine, but the baseband firmware or the towers in some areas are less than standardized/optimized/or whatever-ized than in others. I can only hope that a firmware update to the SGN fixes this (and soon!).

I now know the pain that many have experienced and are experiencing. I feel for you. If I were in one of those areas that had similar connectivity problems, this phone would be going back until the kinks get worked out, if they get worked out. It may go back anyway if the 4.03 update doesn't come soon and it takes care of the problem - I need a solid data connection when I travel. Furthermore, given that I'm paying for a data plan and have shelled out the cash for a phone that should be capable of being a device that should meet my needs, I find this to be very disconcerting. Despite not having the best battery life in the world (not unexpected when using the screen a lot and an LTE connection), I do like this phone. C'mon El Goog, Samsung, and/or Verizon: fix this! (Thanks in advance.)

Keyan likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Keyan

Keyan Member

Showing my phone off at a family function turned painful as I tried to load facebook to show some pictures; my phone was reporting no signal / grey 1 bar

only to have to go onto my girlfriend's Droid X sitting next to me (which used to be mine before the GNex...)to pull up the pictures instantly with the full bars of 3G that her phone had

I have also wanted to throw it out the window at times :(

jkc120 likes this.
  3. Blue218

Blue218 Android Enthusiast

Yep...this is what i figured. I live in NM.....yes it is actually a state and part of the US. And the 4g has been messed up here since just before thr GN release. My friend us also having 4g problems with his Razr. Hope they fix it soon.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews