1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

The Dreaded Update Notification

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by xaelith, Aug 8, 2012.

1. xaelith

xaelith Android Enthusiast

So I got the notification just a few hours ago, and thought I'd ask a few questions before I decide. Just to clear the air, I'm currently using a stock-rooted Sprint TU on baseband FD11.

For those who have the update: I've heard the update changes the look of the lockscreen, but how so? Does the lockscreen look more like the answer/hang up screen when receiving a call, is it a small circle one has to drag outside a larger circle, or is it completely different? If it's option #3, please be as descriptive as possible when explaining what it looks like.

For the devs and others very comfortable with using CWM: I know that if I decide to go thruogh with the update that I should make a backup of my phone as it is right now, and I will have to re-Odin CWM back onto the device. Let's say I like the update well enough to stick with it, but I want the apps, call log, email accounts, account settings, etc. as they are on my phone right now. What all do I need to advanced restore once I get CWM back on?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any and all help with these questions.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mydian

mydian Android Expert

xaelith likes this.
  3. PH8AL

PH8AL Android Enthusiast

Titanium backup. It backs up your apps and data. Use the batch backup and select backup user apps and system data. Puts it in /sdcard/titaniumbackup. It should stay on your sd unless you do a factory whipe. I always save a copy on my pc.

You do have to have root to reinstall your user data. No other way I know.

Iff you do remove root and cwm and do the factory update it should't delete any of your info or apps. Just wouldn't be able to use root apps.

xaelith likes this.
  4. xaelith

Thanks guys. The lockscreen looks about like I envisioned the little circle/big circle. I don't hate it, but I don't think I like it enough to chase after the update, either. I know they also fixed the wifi problem that most people were experiencing, and made the touchscreen more responsive. Since I've never had an issue with the wifi, and the touch screen behaves itself 95-99.8% of the time, I think I'm fine not updating.

Mydian: Yes I do have CWM currently installed, and I forgot that it caused the update to fail in some cases. I've heard that for some people, the update went through, but un-roted them, and for others it failed and left their root intact.

PH8AL: I forgot Titanium had a batch feature, but do you have to have the paid app to use it? I don't remember what all they lock out of the free app, which is what I have right now.

Thanks again, guys. Now I just need to get my phone to stop nagging me for an update....

5. powerkane

powerkane Android Enthusiast

free app has batch but you have to manually hit install for each app paid version automatically installs the app

6. BLuFeNiX

BLuFeNiX Well-Known Member

Are you sure about that? My free version automatically installs system apps, but makes me tap install for user apps. I figured it was a necessary evil.

7. xaelith

Well, I went ahead and updated, and am pretty well pleased so far. As for TiBU, the batch backup does work on the free version, and there's a batch install as well. One word of caution using the batch install, though: NEVER hit cancel button when the install dialog for an app comes up; it seems to cause Titanium to hang, and the only way to stop it is reboot the phone. Thanks again for everyone's input :D

8. soopersonic

soopersonic Newbie

I found this forum a bit too late and completely screwed up my phone. :/ I probably won't see what all the pro version can do till I clear and reboot everything. this is really going to suck. Anyone know if my passwords will be in tact for like gmail and such? one of my accounts I cannot remember the password and I cannot do a password recovery. [long story]

9. xaelith

If you do a factory reset, or clear data with CWM recovery, it will be just like you pulled the phone out of the box as far as your accounts and apps are concerned.

Samsung Transform Ultra Forum

The Samsung Transform Ultra release date was October 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 3MP camera, 128GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

October 2011
Release Date
Reviews