• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The DROID is about to get a whole lot faster!

messenger13

Android Expert
Dec 8, 2009
Cleveland, OH
Myriad Group AG is preparing to release a new engine called "Dalvik Turbo". It will replace the standard Dalvik that is currently running your apps right now. They claim that it runs apps THREE TIMES FASTER, meanwhile increasing battery life. Too good to be true? Time will tell. Myriad is supposed to be demo'ing this engine this week at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

Myriad Group AG is preparing to release a new engine called "Dalvik Turbo". It will replace the standard Dalvik that is currently running your apps right now. They claim that it runs apps THREE TIMES FASTER, meanwhile increasing battery life. Too good to be true? Time will tell. Myriad is supposed to be demo'ing this engine this week at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

That sounds very intriguing.

Your change of avatar really confused me...

Upvote 0
From what I have read it's just Dalvik with a JIT compiler enabled, and the 3x speed increase is supposedly what Google was seeing with their alpha JIT. However Google's JIT is supposedly very unstable at the moment (hence the alpha designation).

Either way, we will certainly see performance increases with JIT tech once they get it all worked no matter who the update comes from. What I'm mostly curious about is if they managed to out-code Google and get their JIT faster or more stable.

Considering that company is part of the Open Handset Alliance, it is likely they will release the source back to the Android open source project.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones