1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

The effect of Light Flow usage on battery life?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sperho, Dec 22, 2011.

?

Do you use Light Flow and do you perceive battery life issues?

1. Yes, and I perceive battery life issues.

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  2. Yes, and I do NOT perceive battery life issues.

29 vote(s)
    70.7%
  3. No, and I perceive battery life issues.

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. No, and I do NOT perceive battery life issues.

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. sperho

sperho Android Enthusiast

Any app like this should have some impact on battery life, but I'm wondering if it uses a bit more than we'd like, given that watt*hours are so precious to most of us; especially with this device.

I'm curious about what fraction of SGN users are using the Light Flow app for notification/LED control. I started using it 2 days ago and my battery life appears to have taken a hit. It also appears that Android OS usage percentage has increased. Given that some people have better battery life than others on this forum, I'm wondering if there is a correlation between the usage of this app and real/perceived battery life issues. I have LF configured for 8 notification types. So if you post up, perhaps state how many notifications that you have set up for it...

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Romparoo

Romparoo Android Enthusiast

I have been using it for one week now (today is one week anniversary for VZW Nexus!). I am sure it drains the battery but IMO very little. I do not think it has much affect at all.

I have gmail notification set to slow, text set to medium, missed call set to very slow, fully charged to on.

3. budwizer

budwizer Well-Known Member

I think it all ends up with how you have it configured. For my settings I have the general notification method/frequency set at "Cycle - Slow" for both the Battery and Charging options. For individual notifications I have the majority of them configured to run for only 10 mins and have the flash rate at medium. For Missed Call, Voicemail and SMS I have also set up repeating sound and vibrate alerts lasting 10 minutes in addition to the LED flash. For all other notifications they are LED flash only.

4. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Android Expert

Set to cycle fast, the last battery reading I did I was at 28hrs. I see no issues using it.

Whoops I voted wrong... Take that 1 vote for the last option off :eek:

5. sperho

Interesting. 92% (13/14) of respondents so far have no perceived battery life issues. Makes me think that battery life is a very isolated phenomenon, which contrasts a bit with the noise about battery life in other parts of the forum/web.

Remember, the questions are not asking if you perceive Light Flow to be a culprit to battery life problems, just whether or not you use LF and happen to also have perceived battery life issues...

6. Jersey Tom

Jersey Tom Android Enthusiast

Do I have the high Android OS & Awake Time issue? Yes. Do I have Lightflow installed and running? Yes.

Correlation sure, causation perhaps not. Seemingly something I installed, setup, or changed on Sunday night is what lead to this. Before then I was fine. Maybe it's Lightflow. Maybe it's Beautiful Widgets. Maybe it's something else.

When I'm on break over the holidays with nothing better to do I should do a methodical study and see if any app in particular has a significant effect.

7. sperho

Exactly. I'm simply trying to see if there is any correlation at all.

8. superdorf

superdorf Well-Known Member

I uninstalled light flow yesterday and so far my Android OS keep awake times are halved.

9. Jersey Tom

Jersey Tom Android Enthusiast

Have only been letting this run for a few hours but I BELIEVE I've had a significant reduction of keep awake time turning lightflow off.

Really requires more methodical testing though.

10. sperho

Keep us updated - I'm curious to see more than my own perceptions... I've not had a chance to do anything very controlled yet...

11. sperho

Either you never turn your screen on or your battery is a freak of nature! :p

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews