• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The END is near...

The Eris is a great overall phone, but I feel that people will be surprised at the difference if they compared the two phones side by side. Better screens, flash for camera, upgraded OS (Eris MAY get one, someday), faster processor, and just overall smoother performance.

I really think that the Eris a great design and style, that isn't going anywhere. I am sure that people that have the Eris will continue to use it for a long time. Although I think that anyone given the chance to upgrade at any reasonable price would do so in a heartbeat.

The Price of the Eris was really amazing, and this could have been because of two things -
1) Verizon wanted to really push the Android systems onto the market.
2) They knew that another large Android upgrade was already in the works, and wanted to price them to move.

Upvote 0
VZW has officially announced that they will discontinue offering the Eris some time in May. Now everyone needs to realize that the phone is six months old. Who in their right mind would ever want to buy the six month old bastard step bother to the Moto Droid?

IMO this is a little premature and if VZW had held up their end of the bargain by upgrading the Eris to 2.x when they said they would, by the end of Quarter one, maybe they wouldn't discontinue it. Anyway, no more dead kittens. I like my Eris it's everything I wanted in a "phone" and an added feature that I wasn't expecting... I can make a phone call using more than one number.

Long Live the Eris

No they have not officially announced it. Not everyone wants/likes the Droid. It's a brick, with a crappy keyboard. The only good think about it is its large screen and faster processor. The Droid Eris is smaller, cheaper, and much more better looking. At Verizon, there needs to be a balance in their Android phones. This is my opinion.

Incredible - High End - $199-$249?

Droid - Middle End - $199

Droid Eris - Low End - $79

Verizon certainly can't replace a high end beast with cheap little Droid Eris. It doesn't make sense if they do.

Upvote 0
All phones must become obsolete at some point in their respective lives. No cell/smart/whatever phone will last indefinitely. So the EOL may be near, who really cares other than those waiting for the next big thing?

If you like your phone, you should like your phone for what it is and not because it is still the latest and greatest. If you don't like it, get another phone.

Anyone who is worried about the EOL for the Eris probably has the DeathClock loaded on his/her phone as well

Upvote 0
No they have not officially announced it. Not everyone wants/likes the Droid. It's a brick, with a crappy keyboard. The only good think about it is its large screen and faster processor. The Droid Eris is smaller, cheaper, and much more better looking. At Verizon, there needs to be a balance in their Android phones. This is my opinion.

Incredible - High End - $199-$249?

Droid - Middle End - $199

Droid Eris - Low End - $79

Verizon certainly can't replace a high end beast with cheap little Droid Eris. It doesn't make sense if they do.

I personally think the devour will drop to the eris price point to become the low end phone. Even though it's only on 1.6. Android is developing quickly, and the hardware on new droid phones has more power, so it only makes sense that the Eris will be EOL'd. That doesn't preclude a new lower end phone being pushed in the future. Verizon will always keep a low end droid to draw in those that don't want or need the latest and greatest. The geek in me says get the fastest, sharpest, etc etc etc. I have an electronic boneyard in my house ;)

Upvote 0
Alright, this is for everyone that thinks I'm FOS.

Verizon HTC Droid Eris and BlackBerry Tour 9630 Get End-of-Life Dates

This lists the EOL for the Eris and the BlackBerry Tour.

Maybe I should apologize to those of you who don't understand sarcasm. Then again maybe not. I try not to make stuff up when I pipe in on something.

Oh and let me just add this, I'm not a huge Moto Droid fan. I like my Eris, I would never change my Eris for a "Droid".

Upvote 0
And now the end is near
So I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case of which I'm certain

I've lived a life that's full
I've traveled each and every highway
And more, much more than this
I did it my way

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exception

I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway
Oh, and more, much more than this
I did it my way

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you know
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall
And did it my way

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
I've had my fails, my share of losing
And now as tears subside
I find it all so amusing
To think I did all that
And may I say, not in a shy way
Oh, no, no not me
I did it my way

For what is a man, what has he got
If not himself, then he has not
To say the words he truly feels
And not the words he would reveal
The record shows I took the blows
And did it my way
The record shows I took the blows
And did it my way

YouTube - Elvis Presley-My way

Upvote 0
Oh no, there going to stop selling a phone!!! This was enevitable, my guess is that they will lower the price of the devour and droid when the incredible launches. Personally I think its good for android, as much as I love my eris, the hardware is outdated. Now that android has gone mainstream I would hope that by the end of the year the phones that ship on it are all up to the task of running google earth, live wall papers, etc

Upvote 0
Happens with every phone I purchase.

The good thing it has a great community support of people who hack and tinker. That will help keep it alive for a while.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

+ 1, only to add that the community support for here for those who do not hack and tinker is exemplary, as well. ;)

Not Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
This is a warning for anyone looking at purchasing this phone anytime in the near future.

DO NOT BUY IT...

I will say that I love the phone, and I think that it is a great platform, but I think that one of the key parts of this phone is already gone. Manufacturer support. HTC has completely removed all signs of the Eris from there site. The phone is being End of Life very soon, and it will be replaced with another phone in the next month or so.

I just spent the past 30 mins digging through the HTC site, and I cannot find but one note/link to the phone at all. All support links have been removed, and any details are gone.

Dont feel bad I did the same thing but I will never admit it if you tell anyone.

(_8'(l)

Upvote 0
I'm honestly surprised the phone lasted this long...I knew up front as soon as I purchased this in November, by about April it would be off the shelves...that didn't phase me at ALL. The phone is GREAT...even when I paid $99 for mine and got my wife's for free...the original BOGO deal...

Bottom line, the Eris is a great phone. I don't care if its EOL is near. I will have it for at least another year and I'm tired of people bringing up that its near the end of its life cycle...WHO CARES?!?!?! STOP TALKING ABOUT IT.

Upvote 0
In all seriousness, who cares? My phone works fine, just as I expect it to and just like it did the day I bought it.

+1, of course.

But there is a disconcerting air to the phrase, "End Of Life." It sounds like my Eris is going to die, and all because of those silly Incredibles and Nexus Ones. And maybe the coming iPhone. Oh no...

But the reality is that my Eris will be with me until the end of my contract approaches, and then I'll do the same thing I've always done, fish around for the next step in technology. That will be the Eris, "End Of Life" as far as I'm concerned.

Upvote 0
What is the point of this thread anyways, we all know there is goig to be a cool new phone that is going to be better than the eris sometime soon, so what we all got stuck with 2 year contracts anyways, what are you going to do about it l huh?

This is a smartphone forum not a graveyard or mourning center

Dammit! When did this turn into a smartphone forum?!?!? Now I have to take back the black dress I just bought. :mad:

Reactions: Mays24
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones