• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Factory Data Reset Option

CORRECTION...Factory Reset caused a HUGE problem with my wifes phone today...her phone wouldn't authenticate her outgoing or incoming phone calls, text messages, internet, etc...her phone was rendered useless all day until I could get someone with tech support to help...apparently sometimes when you do a reset the phones encryption can mess up and needs to be "tweaked" by VZW tech support before you can do anything with the phone...

Long story short, my wife's phone is up and running again...but she's had it with the Eris and the 2.1 update! She wishes she would have stuck with her RAZR...way to go Verizon...

Why not just downgrade back to 1.5? Best decision I've made for the phone. Works great, and the only time you get bugged with the notification for the system upgrade is when you reboot the phone. At least until everyone is up and running 2.1 and they can disperse and patch to fix the bugs

Upvote 0
Why not just downgrade back to 1.5? Best decision I've made for the phone. Works great, and the only time you get bugged with the notification for the system upgrade is when you reboot the phone.

I came very close to not allowing the OTA installation, as well.

What caused me to go ahead with it was what I was noticing around the forums, in general: those with solid 1.5 on their devices were getting solid performance on the 2.1 OTA.

The exceptions to that are out there, too. And we're seeing a few crop up every day. However my Eris, used heavily for phone calls, messaging, web browsing and voice search, has worked flawlessly since the update the other day.

I still waver a bit, but not out of a feeling of 2.1 being inferior in any way to 1.5, but out of a sort of stubborn bonding with the OS that I learned about the Eris on, I think. ;)

If my phone suddenly lost 2.1 and 1.5 were available for it, I'd be just fine with that. But I'm fine with 2.1 as it is, so it's a non-issue for me.

I'm wondering about others.

Upvote 0
If my phone suddenly lost 2.1 and 1.5 were available for it, I'd be just fine with that. But I'm fine with 2.1 as it is, so it's a non-issue for me.

I'm wondering about others.

My phone has always been fine with 1.5 and, so far, no audio bug issues with 2.1. However, if it happens, I'm either going back to 1.5, or I will consider rooting and trying out a replacement 2.1 build. I'd prefer to stay where I am right now, though.

Upvote 0
As I reported, I got the silent bug after OTA from v1.5.

I have made the Factory Data Reset thingy via settings/privacy/factory reset.

Sadly, today I have had the silent bug again...:mad:

The sound came back aftre I rebooted the phone.
Annoying, very annoying.

Peter

Time for a replacement! Be sure to tell them (emphatically) that you already tried a factory reset.

Upvote 0
i was on 1.5, then updated when my phone got the update, then did the reset. everything works good but the weather and my battery. i can unplug the phone at 6am, by 11am without using the phone once, it will be 50-60%. i have reset the phone a couple times with no luck. any ideas? also what is the airplane mode fix? i searched but could only find posts saying to try it, not how to do it.

Upvote 0
what is the airplane mode fix? i searched but could only find posts saying to try it, not how to do it.

Just put the device in "airplane mode" by selecting that in the menu that appears when you hold the "end" or power key down for a few seconds.

Then bring it out of airplane mode. That's all there is to it besides the restart.

Upvote 0
does the factory reset effect or delete anything on your SD card? Say, if you do a mybackup to the SD, will the rest effect your saved backup?

I just completed it and I'll say 2 things, wow I thought it had picked up some speed with the OTA but now it's as if all the dust bunnies were cleaned out of the closet.

Regarding the Backup and files on the SD card. everything was still there..

Though there was one issue on the backup. I had used Astro a few days ago to get everything over to the card. Then I grabbed some new ones I had downloaded in the last couple of days, those overwrote my full backup. whoops

Reactions: flip603
Upvote 0
I called HTC tech support to report the problem.
They did not know about the problem, and the person said it is likely a hardware issue amd should get the phone replaced. I told the person that my local store does not want to replace it she suggested to call the Verizon tech support and talk with them
She said it is maybe related to the rocker switch (why?).
When I said I did the factory reset through Settings//Privacy/Factory reset, she suggested to try to reset via rebooting + key press combo.
Peter
PS:
I encourage EVERYBODY with any bug please report it directly to HTC tech support. If they don't know about it, it never going to be fixed!​

Upvote 0
When I first installed the 2.1 update I had lots of problems with it. It was very buggy and was growing more annoyed by the day...but the new features out weighed the negative...until all of my settings stopped staying well....set. So I read this thread and did the factory reset (which I wasn't happy about doing) and my phone works perfectly now! It's faster, better and smoother! Thanks for making this thread! Verizon should of put the factory reset as the last step to the update! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones