1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root The "Fix everything by turning your phone into an Evo 3d" thread - So lost

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mthomas79, Aug 20, 2012.

1. mthomas79

mthomas79 Lurker
    None

Aug 20, 2012
    Hi all,

First post here. I've read up pretty extensively on the threads for the Evo V here and I see what I need to do, I just have no idea how to start :)

I'm fairly tech savvy, but I've never messed with rooting phones. I have an Evo V through Virgin Mobile and am having a helluva time with the Radio Interface Resource Shortage issue.

I'd like to fix my phone as suggested in the title, but when it comes to "getting root and s-off" on my phone, I am a bit intimidated. I understand the wire trick, but I'm just not sure how to get this whole process going. I've read up on how I should use a different ROM (harmonia?) but some of the terminology used in these threads is a bit beyond me.

Essentially, I'm wondering if someone will basically hold my hand through this process step by step so my phone can act like a phone. I love the device, but if it's missing calls and texts it's pretty useless. If someone can point me to a real dumbed down thread or video, or just tell me in extreme layman's terms step-by-step how to perform the process of fixing my phone, I'd be very very grateful.

Sorry if this is asked elsewhere, I didn't see it.

Thanks much for your time and help.

Advertisement

2. rivethead23

rivethead23 Newbie
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    I wish I could offer help but I'm the opposite. I understand the concepts of obtaining S-off (my main hangup) but I subscribe to the idea that once you start messing with the hardware you're in trouble. I've rooted and rom'ed (if there is such a word) every single android device I have owned (G1, Optimus V, Triumph, HP Touchpad, EVO 3d) but never had to mess with the hardware (ala Evo 3d). Reminds me of the nintendo DS I ruined using a similar wire trick... that was a $125 mistake. I am not ruining my precious phone. heh

3. xploPR

xploPR Android Expert
    None

Mar 12, 2012
    Richmond, VA.
  4. MorpheusX3

MorpheusX3 Member
    None

Jul 20, 2012
    For S-Off, I used these links.

How to Get S-Off on HTC Evo 3D using Wire Trick! – [Juopunutbear S-OFF] | HTC Evo 4G Hacks!

Evo 3D / Evo V CDMA (Shooter) | Unlimited.IO

It took me a good fifteen tries to get it working, but eventually it worked. Keep in mind you have to download the Virgin Mobile Evo V Control Bear and you also have to run it as administrator, otherwise it cannot run Daemon on the ports and you can't think about doing anything with your phone.

Also keep in mind you'll have to use Welcome to HTCdev in order to re unlock it, assuming you're unable to install a new Bootloader straight through Control Bear.

Don't even consider going through Closeone or Unknownforce's tutorials, it's for the Sprint 3VO only and you'll just waste time trying to get back to stock. TRUST ME on this one.

Tags: