• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The "Fix everything by turning your phone into an Evo 3d" thread

One thing I realized is that when I created my backup, I had TWRP 1.1. I see that Harmonia says it includes TWRP 2, and that you can't restore from TWRP 1.x backups. Would this be what is causing my issue?

I think you quite obviously stumbled upon the answer to the question of your problems there.

TWRP 1.x backups are incompatible with TWRP 2. Full stop.

Upvote 0
You cannot copy all 4 files to the card at the same time because the files are all named EXACTLY the same and MUST be in the same place.

You can't have 4 files with the same name in the same spot.
Are you referring to the PRL, Radio, Hboot, and such? That part of the process went smoothly for me, my issue is only with restoring from my TWRP recovery after my phone has effectively been "turned into an Evo 3D."

Upvote 0
Are you referring to the PRL, Radio, Hboot, and such? That part of the process went smoothly for me, my issue is only with restoring from my TWRP recovery after my phone has effectively been "turned into an Evo 3D."
this might take a while but you can flash the verison of twrp you had before you got s-off then restore you backup and then flash the new version...

the following is version 1.1.1
http://www.techerrata.com/file/twrp/PG86IMG-twrp-shooter-1.1.1.zip

the following is version 1.0.3
http://www.techerrata.com/file/twrp/PG86IMG-twrp-shooter-1.0.3.zip

just rename the file to PG86IMG.zip and flash in fastboot like you did radios

source: http://teamw.in/project/twrp/67

Upvote 0
this might take a while but you can flash the verison of twrp you had before you got s-off then restore you backup and then flash the new version...

the following is version 1.1.1
Techerrata Downloads - Downloading PG86IMG-twrp-shooter-1.1.1.zip

the following is version 1.0.3
Techerrata Downloads - Downloading PG86IMG-twrp-shooter-1.0.3.zip

just rename the file to PG86IMG.zip and flash in fastboot like you did radios

source: TeamWin Projects - TeamWin Recovery Project (twrp) | TeamWin
My restore is from version 1.1, and what I have now on my phone is TWRP 2. But I guess installing version 2 would be through the same method? I wish I had tried this earlier! I wasn't sure if flashing the older version back on would replace the newer version, or cause issues. I'm in middle of using Titanium Backup to get all of my apps and data back, which has been slow since you need to press install for every app. I don't know if I'd have the patience to do that again today lol. When I created the first restore, I didn't select the .android_secure, which I now think is the apps. So if I restored, I'd be back to stock and with my settings (assuming it worked), and then I'd have to TB to get my apps back.

I don't know if I would have had this issue had I used Midnight ROM instead of Harmonia, because it doesn't say it includes the newer version of TWRP in that ROM. Oh well. I might just try the ROM I'm on since I will have my data back anyway. I'll download the older TWRP you linked to, in case I want to go back to stock in the future (I do hope my restore would then work), and meanwhile I'll create a TWRP 2 backup as well.

If I end up trying to restore to stock, I will post back whether it worked or not. Thank you for the help in the meantime though, I do appreciate it.

Upvote 0
It was recommended that I post my question here. I just received my HTC EVO V which is my first android phone. I am now making my first rooting attempt. I am starting the complete newbies guide by jerofld.Once I am done with his guide I intend to do this fine guide. I have a coupe initial questions before I start jerofld's guide however;

In step 1 do I need to use the stock shooter_odex rom or can I go right to Harmonia as I intend.

In step 2 the Jerofld indicates to put the Stock ROM + root in a folder named ROMs. I downloaded the "JmzStock_VM_Shooter_Odex.zip" (as well as "Harmonia_3.16_Evo_V.zip" in case I can skip Odex) but do I need another file? What is "+ root" that Jerofld refers to?

Thanks in advance :D

Upvote 0
It was recommended that I post my question here. I just received my HTC EVO V which is my first android phone. I am now making my first rooting attempt. I am starting the complete newbies guide by jerofld.Once I am done with his guide I intend to do this fine guide. I have a coupe initial questions before I start jerofld's guide however;

In step 1 do I need to use the stock shooter_odex rom or can I go right to Harmonia as I intend.

In step 2 the Jerofld indicates to put the Stock ROM + root in a folder named ROMs. I downloaded the "JmzStock_VM_Shooter_Odex.zip" (as well as "Harmonia_3.16_Evo_V.zip" in case I can skip Odex) but do I need another file? What is "+ root" that Jerofld refers to?

Thanks in advance :D

you should be fine using harmonia...
as for root, both jmzstock and harmonia include the root patch so you do not need to include anything else inside the folder... just the rom of your choice...
good luck!

Upvote 0
If I end up trying to restore to stock, I will post back whether it worked or not. Thank you for the help in the meantime though, I do appreciate it.
I was able to flash TWRP back to version 1.1. But when I go into recovery and go to Nandroid Menu > Restore Partitions, and select the backup I originally created with TWRP 1.1, the screen just blinks and nothing happens. Would the particular hboot that I'm on make any difference? (I'm on the one flashed from this thread, instead of 1.57.)

Upvote 0
I was able to flash TWRP back to version 1.1. But when I go into recovery and go to Nandroid Menu > Restore Partitions, and select the backup I originally created with TWRP 1.1, the screen just blinks and nothing happens. Would the particular hboot that I'm on make any difference? (I'm on the one flashed from this thread, instead of 1.57.)
nope hboot shouldnt matter.. mabye a bad backup... try to find the folder on your sdcard that contains the backup

Upvote 0
nope hboot shouldnt matter.. mabye a bad backup... try to find the folder on your sdcard that contains the backup
The files are ok as far as I know. I have the backup in the TWRP folder on the SD card, and I have a copy of the backup on my computer also- this one doesn't work either. Just the screen blinks quickly, I can't really see what icon pops up because it's too fast, and then nothing, back to the menu. I have no idea why this wouldn't work.

Upvote 0
The files are ok as far as I know. I have the backup in the TWRP folder on the SD card, and I have a copy of the backup on my computer also- this one doesn't work either. Just the screen blinks quickly, I can't really see what icon pops up because it's too fast, and then nothing, back to the menu. I have no idea why this wouldn't work.

weird...

Upvote 0
Yeah. I will try once more after I wipe everything. Otherwise I guess I will either have to flash the stock rooted ROM or use Harmonia maybe. I tried Midnight but my battery is draining too quickly.

If I flash this stock rooted, do I use the Odexed or Deodexed version? I've looked up explanations of both, and still not sure which I should choose.

Flashing the stock rooted should be like flashing a ROM, right? Keeping the S-off and flashed radio? Is it right that the only thing that would undo all of that would be to flash one that is completely stock?

Upvote 0
The PRL section needs more in depth you left me holding my breath on a few cause you dont elaborate.... when you say select your device.... why didn't you tell us what our device is? all i see is letters and number idk wtf im looking for. go more in depth like you are talking to a mildly ******ed child trying to learn long division for the first time.

I did the Hboot, PRI and the other but the PRL changing im scared of unless you wanna sync with me on team view and show me by taking charge of my PC.

let me know thanks.

Upvote 0
Yeah. I will try once more after I wipe everything. Otherwise I guess I will either have to flash the stock rooted ROM or use Harmonia maybe. I tried Midnight but my battery is draining too quickly.

If I flash this stock rooted, do I use the Odexed or Deodexed version? I've looked up explanations of both, and still not sure which I should choose.

Flashing the stock rooted should be like flashing a ROM, right? Keeping the S-off and flashed radio? Is it right that the only thing that would undo all of that would be to flash one that is completely stock?

yeah.. flashing is the same process.... i would recommend deodex as this will come in handy if you ever want to change or theme an apk.... odexed is built for speed but its really not much of a diff so you might as well go deodexed for the extra themeing capabilities... if you want to go completely stock (no root)... try flashing the ruu... but its a long and painfull process

Upvote 0
@Akumin

First off, can you confirm you have the HTC Diag Drivers loaded successfully? After plugging in your phone, go into device manager and double check there is not a yellow triangle anywhere, and under modems, the HTC is listed. This is where I had trouble because QPST was not seeing the phone. There were comm ports available, but not any that were the phone. Once I got the HTC Diag drivers loaded properly, the correct comm port was self evident. Many people have had to install the driver manually, and there are many threads that will walk you through that.

Posting twice in three hours is not likely to help your case. Posting what you have done, what you are seeing, what you have checked along with any errors you are getting is more likely to bring success...

Upvote 0
you should be fine using harmonia...
as for root, both jmzstock and harmonia include the root patch so you do not need to include anything else inside the folder... just the rom of your choice...
good luck!

Thank you for your reply. I am now successfully running Harmonia on my rooted HTC EVO V. Fortunately, the detailed instructions in these forums made the process a relatively an easy one. Unfortunately achieving S-off has not been the same experience. All I have accomplished on that front was fry the 8GB microSD that came with the phone (windows recognizes it as a ~100kb memory card now). Anyways, I have not experienced any connection/messaging issues on my phone up to this point, so I may give up on turning my my HTC EVO V into a EVO 3d. Thanks again for the help, and the guide (the rom is great too) . :D

P.S. I kind of liked some of the stock 3D photos that came on the now fried 8GB microSD card, if someone wouldn't mind sending me a copy of them I would greatly appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply. I am now successfully running Harmonia on my rooted HTC EVO V. Fortunately, the detailed instructions in these forums made the process a relatively an easy one. Unfortunately achieving S-off has not been the same experience. All I have accomplished on that front was fry the 8GB microSD that came with the phone (windows recognizes it as a ~100kb memory card now). Anyways, I have not experienced any connection/messaging issues on my phone up to this point, so I may give up on turning my my HTC EVO V into a EVO 3d. Thanks again for the help, and the guide (the rom is great too) . :D

P.S. I kind of liked some of the stock 3D photos that came on the now fried 8GB microSD card, if someone wouldn't mind sending me a copy of them I would greatly appreciate it.
Sorry about that... but you were warned to use a spare sd card... try formating it...

Upvote 0
Sorry about that... but you were warned to use a spare sd card... try formating it...

I followed a video at htcevohacks.com and they did not mention that possibility in the video tutorial itself. I should have known better anyways, so I blame no one but myself. I had ordered a 32GB card from amazon just after getting the phone, right now I am using the paltry 1GB card that came from my old phone. It seems I will be attempting the s-off procedure again at some point, as I was texting today I received the infamous radio interface error :(.

Upvote 0
I followed a video at htcevohacks.com and they did not mention that possibility in the video tutorial itself. I should have known better anyways, so I blame no one but myself. I had ordered a 32GB card from amazon just after getting the phone, right now I am using the paltry 1GB card that came from my old phone. It seems I will be attempting the s-off procedure again at some point, as I was texting today I received the infamous radio interface error :(.

pm me when your ready and i can walk you through the whole procedure myself... if u want

Reactions: efaustus9
Upvote 0
Added Diag drivers to first post as well as a few comments in areas to help out some people who have gotten stuck.

One important note...
Making a backup and leaving the card in your phone, is like backing up your computer onto your computer. You should make a backup to your sdcard and then copy it off to someplace else.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones